Let's Revamp DOTs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsbuff, Apr 7, 2016.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    A˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖R˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖I˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖S˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖˖E

@Sokolov I worked super hard on this and reception was positive. Did you ever see it?

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

buff dots?

kek

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

nice bait, but, no. that's not what this thread is about.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

are these not buffs then?

unless you're gonna cost sandbag them, it does look like it

5. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

these are new abilities which do not exist in the game. they would be implemented on new runes in a balanced and limited fashion. And yes, there would be a price tag associated with the new abilities.

At no point in the thread was it suggested that these abilities be implemented on a wide-scale or be slapped onto existing runes.

4NIK8 and Willow like this.
  6. Willow

Willow I need me some PIE!

god your eloquent and poised manner of arguing is so hot <3

newsbuff and fattyy2k like this.
  7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Fair enough, I only skimmed through this thread

Makes very little sense to make dots more confusing to me then, if there would be champs that change dots like this and champs that don't. If it's not a global change, it seems superfluous

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The identical super-structure does almost as much to homogenize DoTs as it does to differentiate them.

9. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

So, things being consistently different makes them all the same.

Intuitive, consistent design patterns are good to decrease complexity (and mental burden) without sacrificing depth.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    mortal ix likes this.
  10. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I don't really like the idea because it seems too complicated to memorize all these things, to be completely honest.
    I'd rather have something like this:

1) Theres only 1 rank Dots;
    2) All of them come with a secondary effect (poison -1DEF, etc. etc. etc.);
    3) All of them have a basis nora cost and increase/decrease in reference to the secondary effect given.

This seems like a easier way to "balance", if such thing exists in Pox.

DrakeArron likes this.
  11. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

why on earth would you memorize all of the abilities?! Have you never played against Extispicer or chillshard????

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Because you've played this game for a long time and it just happens after a while.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Is there any typo here, or no?

14. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Memorizing all the abilities makes me a better players. Shrugs.
    Im not saying the idea is bad as a whole, I just dont think it would work for Pox and its overwhelming number of abilities.

SPiEkY and DrakeArron like this.
  15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

16. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

haha just an unfinished thought. i was going to say "I wont argue against the idea of emergence..." as it relates to your assertion that different components can lead to a simple structure. You're arguing that the design pattern is homogeneous, even if the components are heterogeneous.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This seems like a way to make Pox more complicated by hiding information in secondary layers, especially since we just finished removing secondary effects from abilities in order to simplify them and reduce the reach of deep rules and consolidate costs. This kind of thing also means that DOTs (which already have a useful, primary function of Damage Over Time) have variable power levels depending on the situation.

So, I wouldn't expect conditions have multi-parts again in of themselves any time soon.

~

As for the ideas themselves, I don't think I want to make one of these for every single DOT or have a DOT associated with every damage type as a rule, but it's certain design space that may end up being utilized at some point.

It's the kind of thing that provides synergy and deck building potential without significantly increasing mental burden.

(On the other hand, making DOTs have secondary effects largely just makes DOTs more powerful/complicated.)

Pedeguerra, IMAGIRL and Kampel like this.
  18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yup, pretty much. The components are somewhat different, but end up playing out in highly similar ways. Just think about how old racial themes played out: many themes got some form of Commander or Boost, and then a racial ability which triggered off of some number of champions being in play; every theme played to a similar game state and had similar goals, just with slightly different coats of paint.

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think this would be pretty different though. It'd be one thing if every DOT got their own variant of "Cursed Chill" "Cursed Charred" where enemy units are Cursed when they get a DOT.

Here, we are talking about potentially very different impacts based on conditions (the thread is about DOTs, but I think it's reasonably extended to conditions).

Even if it's just DOTs, if Chilled = Snow generation and Sundered = DEF reduction, that ends up playing quite differently and potentially enabling very different decks.

mortal ix, newsbuff and SPiEkY like this.