Life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Alakhami, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Gotta agree with DL48. Unless your classmates are people you know well or from outside school its doubtful they even remember you.

GemmaXylia likes this.
  2. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Just to clarify, cause my degree isn't a very popular one, there are only about 15 of us per year. We call kind of know each other

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Personally I would go to the different uni. Start fresh and all that. It will be harder, but you will not be haunted by the "what will think if they see me now" and whatnot.

GemmaXylia and DarkJello like this.
  4. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Agree with Pyro I do, mostly because you clarified that the degree involves a small community. Good luck sir! Conquer!!

GemmaXylia likes this.
  5. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

If you think like that about the first one, it will most certainly trouble you further on. If you have suspicions, that your friends will treat you like that, I don't think there would be a good environment in general. I'd go for the second one. You dealt with your issues, go for something fresh. Cause you need to feel fresh.

soulmilk and GemmaXylia like this.
  6. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

I don't know how it is to be in your situation, nor can I say my way is definitely the better way. But if it were me, I'd consider university/college with only what I want out of it in mind and stuff like taxes, travel distance, education quality. I'd completely forget public opinion for this consideration.

But then again, I've been a target for mockery my whole life, so I'm at a point where I don't give much of a Firk anymore about being in the spotlight. And it's not like you did anything wrong, you had/have a medical condition.

In any case, I can totally understand wanting to start fresh.

GemmaXylia likes this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I would say reduce those outside influences to their actual worth: nothing. Who cares what other people are doing or where they are in their journey. Your life is about and the ones you love. Just because you know someones name doesnt mean Bane Shift. You have persevered through sickness, stagnation and tough choices - they have not. Do not put your life on a meter against theirs measured by where you are on a degree plan. There is much more to progression of life than degrees, such as triumph over suffering.

That is easy to say and might be hard to do. I was a mature student as well since I didn't go to school until after I got out of the USMC (5 years after HS). I wouldnt have changed a single thing.

If you are trying your best to shape your life into a happy place, the rest of the world who can't appreciate that be damed. The ones who can appreciate that, well those are you friends and loved ones who deserve your attention.

Go to the school your heart leads you, focus on your work, get your stuff locked down and leave out of there with another triumph in your life.

Atherhog, iPox, DarkJello and 3 others like this.
  8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

It's a decidedly weird sensation, going back to a school you've been to before and trying to get back through after/while seeing all the people you knew leave. I don't really know how to advise, but if your work/education is interesting enough then honestly I don't think it should matter too much.

Good luck, Gem

GemmaXylia likes this.
  9. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to chip and respond to my question! We spend most of our times raging at each other (mostly because you get upset when I beat you all muahaha) and there's something really nice about reading comments from people I game with casually that are actually really considerate and thought out.

So, you guys are wonderful thank you.

I've got a lot of time before I have to make the decision but currently i'm leaning a bit more towards a fresh start. Get studying, get some good grades, and then become rich high overlord of the world. (or other reasonably well paid job)

It's a little ridiculous that I am 21 and worried about being too old for things. And it's really such a shame I think that way!

Thanks to you all again, I really do appreciate the advice and kind words :)

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I started college at 23. I had great grades, great relationships (turns into letters of reference) with professors and thoroughly enjoyed my college experience without so much as a single party.

iPox and Alakhami like this.
  11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I joined the Minnesota National Guard in high school, started college at 19, drank so heavily my GPA was .23 out of 4.0 first semester, 1.12 second semester. I was kicked out of school after that. Instead I worked at a grocery store for a year, then moved back home and started going to a local community college. That lasted a year until I started making good money selling cars. I dropped out of college again, worked full time for a couple years until the economy took a crap on auto sales. I went back to school, now 23, and finally made it work. I finished my 2 year degree at 24, then switched to a 4 year degree, which took me another 4 years to get, as I was only going to school half time since I had a full time job. I finally graduated at 28, and while I'm not rich, I definitely make enough to get by.

Money doesn't buy happiness, at least once you make enough to have a safe place to live, food on the table, and enough left over to provide for whatever kind of family you may want. Beyond that, you just buy stuff. Eventually you have more stuff than you can fit in your home and you'll get a new place to live with more space. The new home will feel empty, so you'll start buying more stuff. The cycle will repeat until you die, unless you use credit to buy the stuff, because then you'll run out of money to get new stuff.

Qucas and Baskitkase like this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Happiness is forged through life experiences and meaningful connections.

Qucas and darklord48 like this.
  13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

a 'serious student' wouldn't worry about such things. imo. go to whichever place best serves your goals. other people don't exist.

14. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

I was 24. Otherwise sounds like we had the same experience, especially the no parties part. Married my lady friend that same year, and had plenty of fun at home. Legit FTW.

15. Alakhami

Yet also happiness shouldn't be considered as a constant.

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I wonder if anyone would be interested in hearing an abridged version of my life story.

DarkJello likes this.
  17. Alakhami

I would.

18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Even the abridged version is rather long. What's the character limit here? 20k?

19. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Infinite. Use more than one reply

DarkJello, Sirius and Moles like this.
  20. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

The lack of black struggle on this page is depressing but the poxnorian uplift-ation is remarkable.

That said I can't ever post one of these, people would remember it to vividly and it would open to many eyes.

That said my life is good cause this Easter Bunny taste so chocolatey