List of global abilities which should be changed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiCEM0nEY, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Uhhh How is a +5 hp global a draw win? Part of Pox Strategy is what you deploy and when. IF you want to get rid of +5 HP global then deploy chop blocks. Example of recent play...I deployed a strig warlock had too it was the only champ I had. The other FW player still went ahead and deployed his skellies and cloak of Skulls later on. The player is wondering why I have arctic beasts running amok everywhere and call my BG op. I encounter a SL BG, I am not going to deploy my strig warlock until very late game. POX is about positioning and deploying and Nora management.

2. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

In the terms of draw win, I was referring to winning by cards more, and less by tactics. Since global by definition effect an entire board regardlesss of positioning, you don't need tactics in playing them, so much as you just need the card in your hand, hence "draw win".

Your chop block example really doesn't make any sense btw.

3. Braxzee

You still need tactics. You can not just draw out global abilities and expect to win. If you have amplify damage X out by relic equips or champs they all have counters. KF has a global counter to amplifications. The global abilities pretty much have a lot of counters to them and some make sense to only be done globally. Even Dark favor has a counter to it by preventing the rune from deploying. A lot players just do not play the counter and feel they just take the loss of life instead.

Mobilization was not a problem rune when Blockade used to be a global ability. FW players complained about a blockade champ could just sit back and prevent AP generation and now Blockade gets nerfed.
    Blockade got nerfed and became a non global to 8 spaces away (Which is what you are arguing for and has happened) and now Mobilization had to get nerfed with a nora hike as it was now too powerful due to a weaker defense against it.

Also have you ever considered that tactical positioning is not keeping your champs so close together? The 8 space thing would force most themes to not be used (The benefit is not worth the trade off) since they are now a setup for KF and SL spell slam to blast them away trying to keep champs in range of each other for an X benefit. Moga are an example of how this is a big negative to their theme trying to stay Ghern Bound. Running a crystal theme is a major draw back in having to stay so close together to receive benefits.

4. DiCEM0nEY

you can adjust numbers to make weak themes viable. Leaving them to be bad design just makes the game unfun to play (such as arctic shard games).

The things you are listing as counters are not really counters. Prevent dark favor from deploying means that you already had a hard counter in your deck to a listed ability.

5. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

You know what man...straight up, the idea of making Boost a non-global is trash, because the champions that have boost are trash without it.

6. DiCEM0nEY

Well, which came first, the chicken or the egg. Boost really only protects against anti summons and spell damage, the rest is just a bonus to me.

7. DiCEM0nEY

How does everyone feel about battle drum? Is it ok for it to be global, or toxic by design? I think it would be cooler if it wasn't global personally, maybe shorter cd

8. DiCEM0nEY

Added sermon

9. Regulate

Regulate I need me some PIE!

Why are you so obsessed with global effects.

I don't even slightly get it

10. Chris

Chris I need me some PIE!

Didnt you leave the game?

11. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

If you were a global effect you'd be so bad I wouldnt even add you to this Bane Shift list on this Bane Shift thread xD

12. DiCEM0nEY

They have a very bad tendency to make positioning irrelevant. I don't think all globals are bad, but certain, very passive globals and malleable globals I find toxic, as well ones which have little counter play.

So should unspeakable be on this list? Or would it be better served as only effecting the nearest in unit for say 4 turns instead of 2? That is something up for debate. But unholy tomb sitting in the back line crushing everything slowly over time is stupid. Nora mine is stupid. Font eruption, arctic wail, etc, some of these are common sense that they are unhealthy click to win mechanics.

13. DiCEM0nEY

Yes, came back when the new client was released, as I said I would.

14. Braxzee

All of those global abilities have global counters. Unspeakable - Iron will (Bastion of Will)....Un holy tomb - Back Lash and Font Eruption and Arctic Wail....Nora Mine - Back Lash.....Font Eruption ...Any numerous spell counters, CBA 2 and heh it is FS why are you on the font :)..

You are complaining about global abilities that can counter the very thing you do not like. Example is Nora Mine and Un holy tomb can exist due to other global counters like Arctic Wail Font Eruption and Back Lash. IF Meta is running a bunch of Nora Generation why not include a Back Lash in your BG if it is important enough. If do not include the counter then your BG needs to find a different way to win. I run Back Lash and Lock Down. I used to think FW was a bunch of OP crap running forever generating Skellies with AP. Now I find the FW BG pretty balanced with 2 changes to my BG. I also found that Lock down really messes up the skywings (Especially Sky Wing Rumbler), torts, horn of order, Drive themed BGs.

So I accept your so called click to win BG and try using it against me. If you think your global nora regens, AP generation, and global fears are click to win abilities you will loose for they are balanced globals with a glaring weakness. Against my BG I hope you use them, I especially love it when a player abuses Marsh Song I just sit back and watch their shrine explode. It is so funny.

15. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

meh skelies might be balanced if either they lost their swarm counters or aoe's got buffed up a bit.

atm they get better every patch that soko nerfes globals and aoe abilities.

16. Braxzee

Also aggressive went away or is hard to find as well. I remember when Lonx Hunt Leader and throat rend had it. I used him/her as my summons swarm killer. I wish they had it back as an upgrade option.

17. DiCEM0nEY

I've stated numerous tones
    I'm not even bringing balance in to the discussion because I'm trying to illustsrtate shitty design. Even if it is click to never work and lose, it still is shitty because there will never be a time where gameplay will be enhanced by an unholy tomb in its current state. Same with sermon. Globals countering globals is literally the same thing as playing Uno. If the ONLY counter to a mechanic is "draw this card" you are taking away positiong choices by the player, and promoting winning by less decision making. Usually that is a sign the mechanic overbearing. It isn't the nora cost of the mechanic that needs to change, it is most likely the mechanic itself.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  18. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

But thats the whole game mechanic, its just a version of UNO with x-number of thousands of possible cards/abilities.
    If we wanted chess we would play that where no draws are in the game. This is a version of a card game, if you build your deck you need to figure out what to counter for today and how to win. cant just use the 2 year old deck and expect to win. Problem atm for me is the lack of players, making the game more gimmickly and less fun.

I really like globals, AoE and singletarget, removing all globals is making the game more limited.

Braxzee likes this.
  19. DiCEM0nEY

There are plenty of globals not on the list, and unspeakable could arguably be taken off.

And you are putting words in my mouth. I'm not complaining about winning or losing, I'm saying the design is horrible.

Even if you play a deck from two years ago, you should be able to play it out, whether you win or lose should be determined by luck, skill, and meta/ balance. Globals (and hard counters) take away from skill, and put the game at the mercy of luck. Luck is a cool factor in games (Warcraft 3 damage is a prefect example of how luck can make a game at the very least interesting.) More often than not, I am pissed off at the draw wins and such, compared to where I think "this was a good match BECAUSE of luck". And I am not as biased as you might think towards my own winning and losing. I have lost games and thought "you know, that wasn't a bad game". But far too many times, I've played versus ultimately silly Bane Shift that cancels all my side font positioning play with HERP DERP GLOBAL HARD COUNTER or some dumb mechanic that is questionable at best. DERPPPP GLOBAL RELIC KILL. and bear in mind, I also don't like global relics for the most part.

20. Braxzee

If a player is worried about draws they can use scry units. I think putting back scrying on Shrine could be helpful and a deadly risk with the way Pox is now. All that a side, in UNO all you have is put this card down, Pox is a blend of lucky draw, resource management, and strategy in building a BG and how it is played on the battle Map.