Lodestone megalith

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by super71, May 6, 2017.

1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Keep wanting to use this rune, even tried it with grimlic's mirror and it doesn't bring out the summons again because it's not coming from the rune dock.

What would make this rune viable/competitive ?

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There are actually some changes coming to this rune's main abilities next patch.

Base Stats
    -1 MAX RNG
    +5 MAX HP

This gives it slightly better HP:Nora ratio, which is important for an ~80 nora champion.

Megalith Guardian
    When this champion is deployed from the runedock, 2 Megalith Guardians are summoned in adjacent squares. At the beginning of each turn, for each Megalith Guardian within 5 spaces, this champion has +3 DMG, +2 MAX RNG and +1 DEF. This stacks up to 2 times.

Changes:
    Range to 5 from 3
    MAX RNG Buff to +2 instead of +1

This change means that there is more flexibility in moving the Guardians around instead of them being forced into a tight AE (which allows for a lot of shenanigans). Additionally, the extra MAX RNG means the Guardian also has more offensive flexibility while the Guardians are out.

Guardian's Light
    Target friendly champion within 5 spaces gains Magic Beam for 1 turn. If the target is a Megalith Guardian, this champion also gains 1 AP. (AP cost to 1 AP instead of 0 AP)

This change means that even after the Guardians are dead, the unit doesn't have a dead 9 nora ability, but it will have to pay 1 AP now to use the ability. The second clause reduces the net AP usage back to 0 if used on a Guardian.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    aseryen and super71 like this.
  3. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

If you are going to give it range 5, remove Sentinel from it. its crazy powerful on such huge range, or make it unequippable so we cant add extra range from Providence for range 1-6 and this on a champ that runs with 18+ dmg. It has already great hp for the nora with standard, dwarf handler and silverclan tinkerer. 60+35+35 hp for 85 nora

Upgrades on it are also boring besides Sentinel, constructs have almost no synergy units. Cant find any shroud, defender, commander or battlemaster among the constructs in IS which is also making them weak as a theme.

Guardian's Light should just work on friendly constructs, but guess it can be cool to se a tinkerer blast away also.

@super71, constructs aint viable in PvP because we run Tinkerers with them. that extra hp,dmg, tough1-3 is just too tempting but way to expensive nora wise. cant spend 130-200+ nora on extras. But thanks for making me look at this rusty robot

4. Hierokliff

Or iam wrong, are constructs viable in PvP... in skirmish they are great combined with trolls for rock defiance. or fooling around with share parts spell.
    Got me tempted to try out this horrible rune a few more times, but iam still trying to make a barbarian bg.

5. Sokolov

1. The RNG change is on the ability, not on the unit itself.

2. The champ currently is 1-2. The buff is currently +1 MAX RNG (so it can be 1-4). The change makes it +2 MAX RNG per guardian, so it can be 1-6 instead. I am considering lowering the base RNG to 1-1 so it'll be 1-5 MAX, which will also help with its cost.

3. It has great HP (which is why it's not as good as it was originally designed due to concerns about the overall HP it gives) but it loses effectiveness dramatically as the Guardians die.

6. Sokolov

Also, personally, I like running it with Magic Acolyte and Grant: Magical Aura. Divert can be fun but it's pretty expensive with that.

super71 likes this.
  7. Hierokliff

1. Yes but guardians is +2 instead
    2. I do really hate 2x2 units with range 1-1, uff 1-6 is crazy and then providence and probably some +1 increase range champ for 1-8range, cant remember if its for trolls only in IS.

8. super71

With the suggested changes it will be fine as is, sentinel is on k'ento and he has nohkan do, ping, purified, 5 range and 14 damage. Megalith needs 2 guardians out to be at 1 more range and 1 less damage and 1 defense with it's guardians being withing range, which have extremely low health and are easily killed.

People will simply target the guardians first and worry about the megalith next.

9. super71

I like the changes especially the range 3 to 5 spaces for the buffs, they felt weird right now because on small maps positioning them within range for the buff but away from the auras was a pain unless running it with magic eater.

10. Hierokliff

Yeah naked yeah he looks balanced against K'ento, but he is a construct, and with tinkeres, battlemaster, commander, macadamize he will be nerfed asap. think its possible to get him close to 30dmg without inspire and medal of valor

Base DMG 7 + 6 from guardians, so he starts at 13. then +1 from superior tinkerer, +2dmg from domain rock and commander +2. +1 from standard. 18-19 is probably normal for him, but if he gets this good you will try to deploy 2 Lodestone Megalith for another +3dmg and another +2RNG. and then maybe a battlemaster/guard tower also for another +2dmg, so ok he can get 24dmg until he puts on Providence for next +2dmg and +1range.

2x Lodestone Megalith = 2x sentinel units with range 1-8 and 20-26dmg :) with defensive strike
    with 60hp and tough 3, with 4-5 defense

Sure not every IS player runs a rune with commander or battlemaster, but most do, and some also use macadamize and a few use all 3... even seen a few use battle matron with drive+inspire.

aseryen likes this.
  11. Hierokliff

Lodestone Megalith is class: Shaman
    In ST there are a champ with improve range for class: shaman, i can really see a superannoying IS/ST split with K'ento and 2x Lodestones Megalith with Sentinel range 1-9 and Defensive strikes.

Sure there are counters to both sentinel and defensive strike.

Looks like interesting changes, its good something is happening to this rock...

aseryen likes this.
  12. super71

That's like saying k'enton with battlemaster, banner, commander, drive you can say this about every champ in the game. He starts with 13, but those guardians wil be focused very quickly as they only have 20 health and will drastically drop the megaliths stats.

aseryen likes this.
  13. Hierokliff

But they get range 5 now, they can be so far behind the combat, and they get 30-40hp with tinker,banner,boost so sure if you send them in front they die, but there is absolutly no reason ever to send them ahead. with 1-5 or 1-6 starting range on megalith, then +5 range to hide, they should not be killed.

Guess it dont matter, it will not be used in PvP anyway, constructs are too messy, to slow, takes to many actions/turn with noncombat...
    But You made me make a construct bg and test again, and it was game over in turn 5...

aseryen likes this.
  14. Hierokliff

Even this old fart gets useful with some commander, battlemaster near him. No invigorate or other OP stuff, just normal IS aoe buffers and tinkerer, now think it with range 1-7
    And you think grimlic needs a nerf? hah.
    upload_2017-5-8_19-42-49.png

Hammertime!

Attached Files:

nepyonisdead and aseryen like this.
  15. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

I am calling this op now sorry, its even for IS but i will abuse this rune

aseryen likes this.
  16. Hierokliff

Current lodestones, backuped up a by normal IS spells and champs.
    Only change i would want on this rune is maybe that the guardians light could target any other construct like suggested. And please some other damagetype ability then magical, no idea why just magical dmg is so common in IS constructs, if itself had guardians light do magical it would be great if it was physical,electrical or sonic as base.
    hmm maybe magic damage aint so common, its just that the 3 runes i build my construct decks are magical, so already packing 6 magical dmg.
    But this one dont need more dmg. more range maybe but more dmg or more life? nah
    upload_2017-5-9_23-11-0.png upload_2017-5-9_23-21-2.png

aseryen likes this.
  17. Sokolov

The overall stat changes are with 2 guardians out still are:
    • +5 MAX HP
    • +1 MAX RNG
    I don't know what the fuss is all about about stats.

aseryen likes this.
  18. Hierokliff

Ah ok, so changing base range to 1-1 instead of 1-2?
    its not a bad rune already, buffing it up so much by just allowing a 3rd guardian to add stats is a big buff. Now if i could just figure out a way to get more guardians without spending 85nora to deploy another big rock... @aseryen has probably some ideas

aseryen likes this.
  19. Sokolov

I don't know why it said 3. It is still 2. Note I didn't mark it read or specify it is changing.

20. Sokolov

Updated post slightly to fix the erroneous 3 units thing.

Also decided to do 1 AP gen on Guardian's Light instead of the heal - which is more consistently useful while being less annoying to play against.

aseryen and Hierokliff like this.