Looking for a Tutor

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Ralaki, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Ralaki

Ralaki The King of Potatoes

2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Since that's very close to a mirror image of mine, I guess I'll have to step up. Various combinations in that BG:

Overcharged Golem + Thundertotem = 14 (totem) + 32 (power attack on paralyzed champ) +6 (aura)
    G'hern General + Slag Overmind/Voil Jester = Put designate flagbearer on either one, and let him sit in a font. You'll have great anti-range, anti-spell for your swarm around him and both of those guys are hard to range down, meaning his units will have to come to your side of the mid font. You want G'hern General to hang back, buff your champs w/ battlemaster, and snipe kills with throwing ax for battleleader (what other battle leader champ has a ranged ability like this...)
    Peaks Dao = your anti melee font defender w/ initiative 2 and awestruck and reflexes. Use Rock trap to protect your empty font (either from shallaxy or relic). It should buy you a turn to deploy peaks dao, and glorius leap the unit.
    Cyclonic Fesh can instagib anything that's not by itself: barrage, chain lightning or (if you have guys in a line, barrage, get the lightning rod on the guy, then run up w/ a melee and hit both your guy and his guy w/ the thunderhead totem, transfer the damage on your guy to the lightning rod champ.
    Slaver's Whip = Useful whenever there is a chasm. 40 nora to cliff dive your opponents champ is a good deal.
    Vertical Push = Generally I save this for champs w/ build up effects (charges, escalation, leech vitality). I haven't tested it recently, but usually it resets. The damage is nice too, but kind of inefficient.
    Voil Infernal = Heal counter; deploy against pallies...or occuli slag w/ catharsis bloom...or life siphon decks or if you end up putting down a lot of voil early on. +1 speed to stormflyers, shallaxy and bat swarms (from crypt) is good.
    Voil King's Crypt = Not counting swarms, you are putting a lot of hp units onto the field. Usually the best strategy is to deploy far back so you get all 3 bats. But sometimes it makes sense to deploy on the front lines if you can generate enough ap immediately through alacrity to get a kill and swarm immediately.
    Shallaxy = contests well with rock trap; he can pull units towards you or away from your ranged (think of it like a gimped harpoon) and he enables global powerturns w/ wardrum. Another source of magic damage is also welcome.
    Hyaenid Spearman = anti-equip, pick up globes w/ him w/ dead eater
    Voil Jester = I prefer book burn and divert; w/ that build he is your way to bypass any champ w/ super defensive upgrades, to shut down any ability based champ (spellkaiser, for example), and to protect against getting your swarm face wrecked by aoes after you attempt a power turn (or while designate flagbear is on cd and your champ had to move).
    Mika = free summons, aoe heal, majestic and abash. She contests well, she can engage enemy champs, and she can be a good unit for your 2 equips.
    G'hern Soothsayer = your counter to high defense champs, and the way that you will one round pretty much anything. W/ multiattack, you get at least 2 attacks a round, which is -4 def or +4 damage to every other champ attacking the unit.
    Overmind= Good early deploy. He serves as a spell detect (useful for factions w/ hidden protection spells like ST or IS); a super range locate, and w/ 5 relics you can contest fonts a really really long time w/ his illusions and without endangering champs. Besides, he'll become pretty beastly in a long enough game.
    Firebomber = use him to contest side fonts. He can hold them for a long time w/ his range and set ablaze and, with range 1-3 and burn 3, he can win against a lot of things more expensive than him.
    I don't use Scein ever since he gained unequippable.
    Kanen Slipped- still experimenting w/ him. He's kind of like a rupture alpha, but he has to engage to grow. Then again, he's got 7 speed and charge and manic...so he can engage very quickly and attack multiple times per round. Then again, he doesn't have stunning or glorious leap. I'm still up in the air about him.

Edit: See if you can get Ballballer to give you some advice. He knows the faction better.

3. stfn

stfn Member

Good ol' LORGSPC. Personally, I would suggest you try out Moga. Wow! Much Meta. So Power.

Nebron likes this.
  4. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

5. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

The deck looks ok. There's some runes in there that I don't care for too much but the only glaring oversight that i've seen is that you're not running cleansing emerald. CC is a major detriment to power turns and you need to be able to shrug it off.

6. Raikan

You removed 1x hyaenid spearman, 1x slaver's whip, and 1x rock trap. You added diamond mace, whispers of the mind, and cleansing emerald. I get why substituted a mace for a spearman (flexibility, on demand shatter), and I see the importance of a cleansing emerald (which probably justifies removing rock trap since there is a shallaxy). But why cut a whip for a whispers of the mind 2x? Cliff diving can be so useful but, as I looked at maps today, it's situational.

7. TheNidhogg

I also kind of wanted to remove Harpoon. I've put both in my SP decks and found that I just hardly ever used them. I just found that Whispers of the Mind is stupidly good, and that I use it and want it a lot more than I want a whip. Not much in it besides I think it's on average better.

8. Raikan

1. I kind of feel the same way, but I don't play SP enough to know whether I've played odd games. Harpoon was stellar when Sceian was equippable. Now...id. Most of my SP decks are heavier on melee, and so a shoot out (where harpoon would be most useful) isn't really a winning situation. Whip is good (free drive and cliff diving), but on some maps it's pretty useless. And both require spare ap. Other than Mika (which doesn't have a lot), there aren't a lot of great champs to make the best use of these, although there are some decent ones (ritual cultist, sonic elemental, etc.). Whispers of the mind...that's always pretty useful. But I worry I've gotten too comfortable with your single target cc decks in KF w/ time slip and carn vines.

9. TheNidhogg

Sometimes Whispers is just a better Time Slip, and that's scary.

10. Raikan

I'm curious, which runes? Thanks.

11. Nebron

Mika, golem, overmind, jester, alacrity, crypt

12. Raikan

That's most/all of the support runes. Is there a SP-specific reason why support champions aren't optimal? Transporter might be a substitute for overmind...but it's hard to find more efficient substitutes for Jester/Mika?

As for Alacrity, it's really the only source of spot AP gen (other than whip). Is it the price, or the 8 hp hit?

For Crypt...it's very efficient. The tempo hit is relatively small, since you spawn a champ on that turn. And it pays back long-run...120 or so hp for 60 hora. Curious about your thoughts.

13. Nebron

To clarify I don't think any of those runes are bad. Mika and jester are solid runes but in my games I rarely ever wanted a passive unit out so I stopped running them. I didn't like alacrity because I thought it was a trash version of mobi and I prefered my old spell lineup too much to run it. Crypt was dropped because I felt it was more of a winmoar card. Typically when I warcried I was either winning the game or setting up to win it soon and getting a few swarms off was overkill.

14. Raikan

Thanks. Very insightful. I'll think about this. I totally agree w/ alacrity being a gimped version of mobilization. For a whole 10 nora savings, I affect a limited area (which maybe is a buff considering that I lose 8 hp per effected champ). I used to run it...now other runes seem more useful (like peaks tactics...seeing as its an aoe....4 spell even though that's not what the description says). I'll experiment more w/ crypt. I half way agree. I've found that it's a pretty good comeback rune if i make a mistake and need something to help bring me back.

15. Nebron

Peaks tactics was buffed a very long time ago to be AoE4 but they never changed the description for reasons unkown.

16. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Add nulnins pies for a 30 nora font contest.

17. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Well I was a fan of Alacrity x2 since the beggining and never removed them from my bgs.
    Even if it's like a gimped Mobi it's still spot AoE AP generation which allows you to achieve things you would never been able to do otherwise.
    It enables easy shrine kills for example that can win you a game you were steadily losing, but that's just one application.
    It also makes Sceian win-turns super easy to set up.

ApGenIsOP.

As for Mika she is passive but so darn efficient that she can win games by herself, I wouldn't imagine not running her atm. Crypt and Jester are also super good despite of their limitations.
    Actually all 3 are good candidates for an efficiency nerf if some game wide balance changes are being made.

18. Raikan

It's the principle though! Why does FW get a global 4 ap gen w/ no health loss for only 10 more nora. SP and UD should work together to insist on buffing their global ap gen spells!

19. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

I think you are looking at the issue in the opposite way.
    Global AP Gen was considered OP and complained about since the beginning of the game.
    Mobi used to be 5 ap for 40 nora for a while and was nerfed many times, yet it is still prolly too good because of how strong AP Gen is.
    Alacrity was an attempt at making a "balanced" AP Gen spell, and I think it was a success. It isn't a dumb auto-cast but in the right hands it can still be very powerful.
    If anything Mobi could use another nerf to make it an AoE, either way any buff to Alac would be a step backwards in the long way of making the game more balanced.

20. Creosoto

Creosoto The King of Potatoes

I'd like to be tutored too.. I'm less than a crappy player, but I really enjoy SP combos and stuff. I dispose of almoste every rune, except for a slag overming... From where should I start?