Magic Duels

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Downloaded it on my Ipad yesterday and enjoyed it visually and mechanically wise, for the couple of hours I played it.
    I already love Magic as a whole but it has been a while since I touched any of it. Am bored a bit by HS lately.
    Do any of you guys play it? Thoughts?

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I played it but then they introduced an update where you can't play at all unless your GFX uses DX11, even though the game doesn't need it whatsoever.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Fun for a bit, but gets boring kind of quick. Doesn't have the same magic as... actual magic due to limited card selection, etc.

But it's a fun single player card game romp for a couple days, especially if you haven't played actual MTG in awhile.

Etherielin likes this.
  4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I find interaction with a real human to be at least 75% of MTG's fun. There's nothing better than watching your opponent's emotions as you both play your cards.

5. Pedeguerra

Yeah, I played the history mode exaustively for the weekend, it was pretty fun. On easy mode, also, so Im guessing the normal/hard ones are pretty challenging.
    Until I finish the whole history process (easy/normal/hard) it will keep me entertained, lets see how it works past that on PVP.

6. Pedeguerra

So, played it more for a bit, and I'm not finding it getting boring, at all. Specially as a free player. Let me explain.
    Once you finish the whole story arc and the tutorial, you net something like 1.5k gold. That's 10 packs for free, not to mention the Boxes you get after you complete the story mode.
    So, that's what I did, and started playing the Hard Mode A.I. challenge. Since I found that very, very easy, I jumped onto the PvP mode, and thats where it gets fun. A victory there is 30 gold by itself, and the daily missions average 60g (I think there's 3 or 4 of them).
    So, if you jump into PvP and win a couple of games/complete the missions, you can buy up to 2 packs a day. And that's pretty generous, I feel.
    Obviously, if you just dump a ton of money on it it will get boring pretty fast, but if you free to play this game it wont. At least not fast. I mean, I have bought something like 20 packs without spending real money, and I think I have 5% of the collection. So theres a long way ahead.
    Also, I found myself bringing back some memories when I was a kid playing the physical game, didnt have money so all I could do is maybe buy a pack or two per month. And the feelings of opening the pack, with antecipation with what was to come, was awesome.
    With the limited collection I have, I put together a human/elf white/green deck (I have one human legend and an elven one, so thats where the idea came from) and had great success with it so far (5-0).
    Also, since the daily quests all require some sort of combination (deploy 15 white or red terrains, deploy 20 green or blue creatures, etc. etc.), I will probably have a blast (and a big challenge) building decks with the limited collection.
    Also, the art on the cards is beautiful, and the gameplay/graphics are excellent.
    So far 10/10 for me.

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Sokolov

Maybe there's a lot more content than when I played it. It was awhile ago. When I played it it seemed like everything was funneling me into one deck per color.

But either way it just made me want to play some "real" Magic (either IRL or MTGO) :D

8. Sokolov

Also, I don't spend money on games if I don't have to.

#asiancheap

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

What's kind of cheap is it if I've played Pox since 2007 and only spent $52, but managed to get 1x all SL Legendary and below.

IMAGIRL and Sokolov like this.
  10. Sokolov

My kind of cheap :)

IMAGIRL, Etherielin and darklord48 like this.
  11. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I warned about this in the HS thread.

Now you screwed.

I'll echo that gameplay loop thing though. It's kinda awesome to scrounge up some janky theme deck and being super excited when you open a pack and get that "ooh that one will fit nicely in my deck".

I've been spoiled by digital games way too much, it's a nice feeling to relive.

12. Pedeguerra

Hehehehe, yeah on the screwed part. Although, as a married man, I have restrictions on the amount of hours I can play, I think Im good.
    On the packs part, yeah thats exactly what happens. In fact, just yesterday I opened up a couple of packs and they both had very good fits for my decks, and I thought exactly what you wrote there.
    Cool.

13. Pedeguerra

Just some news on this, even though I dont think many people are playing this game (if any, besides me):

1) 2 packs are for sale on the shop until december, and you can acquire them for 100 gold instead of 150 gold;
    2) There's an expansion coming.

So, if any of you guys who have tried this game at some point and got bored, but are thinking about gettting back, this might be a good time.

14. Comissar

Comissar I need me some PIE!

I'm playing it, and have been since its release. They keep it updated with each set, so you can expect new cards on a fairly regular basis. Also means the different deck types expand out significantly over time. Sok's right that at release you were kind of rail roaded into a specific archetype for each colour (Green-Black, for example, was pretty much only Elves), but now you can get plenty of different types within a given colour pair.

15. Sokolov

Ah cool, maybe I will try it again then. I did have fun, just ran out of content on the deck building side and that's the part that I love.

Also, the elf deck was pretty fun, just that I felt like they built it for you.

16. Pedeguerra

Yeah, exactly.
    So far I've made some 5 or 6 differente decks types, with FF or split (Pox terminology hehehe), and been having a blast.

Since you have played since release, @Comissar , please enlighten me on this: Planeswalkers I can get from any booster or is it only available on the origins pack?

Report back with impressions if you will.

17. Comissar

Kytheon, Hero of Iroas, Liliana, Heretical Healer, Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, and Nissa, Vastwood Seer are in the Origins packs.

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, Ob Nixilis, Reignited, and Kiora, Master of the Depths are in Battle for Zendikar

Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, and Chandra, Flamecaller are in Oath of the Gatewatch (along with the Oath's of Jace, Gideon, Chandra, and Nissa)

Sorin, Grim Nemesis, Nahiri, the Harbinger, Jace, Unraveller of Secrets, and Arlinn Kord are in Shadows over Innistrad

Tamiyo, Field Researcher, and Liliana, The Last Hope (along with the Oath of Liliana) are in Eldritch Moon

Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Dovin Baan, Nissa, Vital Force, and Saheeli Rai will be in Kaladesh

Pedeguerra likes this.
  18. Pedeguerra

Oh wow, that was awesome.
    Thanks a lot man.
    I'm trying to play Magic again (after what, 20 years?) without really digging deep into their forums and whatnot, so if you guys have some good tips to share please feel free.
    For example: regarding mulligan, what should I aim for? I'm always trying to keep number of lands between 2 and 5, but is there another general rule I should pay attention to?

19. Comissar

Mulliganing depends heavily on the deck you're playing with, and what you've got in your hand. For example, an aggro. deck probably wants 3 lands at most in an opening hand, and can be comfortable with a 2, or even 1 lander. Control decks want enough to get up and running, so probably 3-4 at a minimum. In most cases I'd consider a 5 land hand too full to keep unless you have some fantastic plays with that hand. Having only two options that aren't land off the bat isn't great, and they'll rarely be the ones you want to be running with immediately.

When I have more time I'll post a couple of my Duels decklists up, and talk about my way of playing them (I'll try and get a mix of play styles in there). Hopefully that'll help.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  20. Pedeguerra

Thanks bud, these were good tips.
    Im looking forward to your next post.