Making the Jump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Goatmanji, Feb 15, 2016.

1. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

gitgud

how can you possibly lose all your pvp games against everybody?

somebody with at least a week experience should win at least 30% of games.

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

hey what's up with you being fat

3. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

You know, I have a relative, she's around her 40's. She can drive alright, but go tell her to get a license and she'll freeze in fear. If you start playing thinking you're losing, you will lose. But there's no running from it: skill comes from practice. There's no way you won't become better if you constantly play PvP. The deal is not trying to rush, try having FUN( FUN FUN) in PvP, try picturing your runes having one amazing battle, or whatever suits you. The trick is focusing on what is happening at the moment, not whether you'll lose or win. Set small goals within your match, for example "kill that champion without letting mine die", or "move this champion to his font do he wastes a spell and I can counter it next turn". Baby steps are the key, because eventually your mind will naturally come up with these steps whenever you face similar situations against this of that enemy, and that's how you get good. Literally. I swear, I couldn't have said it any better, I do hope you read this.

SPiEkY likes this.
  4. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

And this pretty much applies to anything you do in life if you want to make it worthwhile.

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Yea, killing enemy champions got me a girlfriend.

#poxislife

super71 and Alakhami like this.
  6. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

in no particular order:

Finding a battle group that handles the current map rotation well is a good start to racking up victories.
    -I will get a battle group with a high win rate, and as soon as the maps rotation changes (maps affect me more then champ nerf's buffs) the same battle group will struggle for a W.

If spending nora is not going to help you kill a champ(s), save it for plan B. (40 nora in the bank is a nice cushion for next turn, of course more nora in the bank can be better if you do not need it.)

Start playing games all the way through, till you shrine is destroyed. You can learn a lot by doing this, most importantly how to set up comebacks and not get discouraged. Players get cocky and make mistakes all the time when they think they have the W in the bag.

Use a calculator during you opponents turns if you are not good at arithmetic, to help plan out possible gibs, or at least look at your options.

Look for ways to generate huge amounts of nora, that way if you do make mistakes, you can recover quickly.

SPiEkY likes this.
  7. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

What's your in game nick?

8. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

This community is not nearly as toxic as some would make it out to be. Your replies are generally helpful and I appreciate that.

As to your questions:
    Time zone: CST (GMT-6)
    IGN: Meatsock
    How can I possibly lose ALL my PvP games? I have the same question!
    Post my BG: I will after a bit, I don't like using the tiny pic of the BGs as I cannot always tell what runes they are, so I'll have to recreate them on PoxBox (w/upgrades) and post later.

I will say that over the time I've played Pox, I've bounced between so many factions and themes that I honestly probably haven't learned them as well as I should have, and some were taken into PvP without being leveled to where I want them. I've settled on 3 BGs I'm fairly happy with (though I'm still constantly making small tweaks) and feel that I have learned these 3 quite well, and do not believe they are underpowered--based upon forum discussions, comparisons to other known players' posted BGs, and my own playtesting.

I recognize my mistakes as I make them, and yet keep continuing on making them. <sigh> I will take the suggestions given and run with them, hopefully I will improve.

9. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Try to win.

I don't mean that to sound like I'm taking the piss, but often in games when you are struggling you can over analyse the 'what am I doing wrong' and stop think about the actual goal.

So my advice would be to stop thinking about 'tactics' and instead just keep an open and inquisitive mind in game.

Look at your runes, look at what they can do, think what would work against the enemy, then think what that would mean in terms of board presence, Nora cost effectiveness etc.

Netherzen likes this.
  10. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Bouncing between themes and factions might honestly be one of your biggest drawbacks, when I first started playing pox and even now I often get bored with a bg after like 4 games. This often leads me to playing something else so I can never get the core strategies to the theme or faction down. However usually once I stick with a theme longer than 5 games I win a hell of a lot more. Try sticking to a theme for like a week or two and take out any runes you find yourself never deploying/using. I've often found that runes look great on paper and I never end up using said rune in-game.

Posting your bg would go a long way to letting people help you also.

11. Goatmanji

Goatmanji I need me some PIE!

I will post my BGs, when I'm posting from home and not on this lousy phone.

I tend to prefer the more fantastical races--not boring humans or dwarves etc. If I were forced to pick a single faction, it'd probably be FW, only because of the luck I've had with it. I originally wanted to like SL the most (DRAGONS) but for some reason just haven't been able to do well with them, and spent a long time trying with ST as well. My favorite things to do in Pox are jacking with the opponent's creatures' positioning: knockback, fascinate, repulsion, relocate, gale force, etc. One thing for sure is I need to learn to predict exactly where they will end up, as oftentimes my propensity to adjust their positioning ends up in their favor.

12. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

Seems like you miss me!

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Dude if you suck... Just play AoC play 2 in a SP/FW deck, run up a bunch of stuff to die that can deal any type of damage or stall run 1 ghern sustainer and never surrender.

You will be running games in no time.

I'm not being sarcastic either. Anyone can do this strategy because not only do you have an attempt to win through good play but if you suck it doesn't count against you.