Marijuana going legal - is it the way to go?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Do you approve of marijuana going legal?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  1. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

America spends billions fighting drugs, were still losing because were not 100% serious about it. Marijuana has been known and scientifically proven to have many positive effects. It's a natural grown plant, yet people still believe alcohol and prescription drugs are better. If my doctor said I had two choices, smoke pot for pain, or take oxycodene or something, i'm gonna take the weed. Weed has less side effects, and it's never been proven to be addictive.

Overall it's stupid, we put people behind bars for decades for selling pot or drugs, but don't worry we let that rapist go after 5 years or that convicted murderer. It's actually quite sad.

Legalize all drugs, and for heaven's sake, stop reviving people that are dying after overdosing, if your dumb enough to keep doing it, the hard working normal people shouldn't have to pay to revive you.

My only issue is the government getting to involved, generally they start to control what can go in it, how much etc. Anytime the American Government get's involved too much, everything goes too hell.

Varthas likes this.
  2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

you must be joking ^^;;

3. super71

What part was I joking about ? If your going to overdose on heroin, and then get saved, and continue to overdose over and over without seeking help, then that's on you. I'm all for helping people with problems, but if you overdose, and that high is literally worth your life a second time, then it's nobody's fault but your own. I know addiction is very serious, but if you don't get a wake up call after a near death experience their is probably no help left for you.

Varthas likes this.
  4. Varthas

Varthas I need me some PIE!

In Alaska, the natives have huge alcohol related problems, and by the State Troopers 95% of the problems are alcohol related. In Norway something like 80% of murders are alcohol related.

I am not for a ban on alcohol myself, but why marijuana are illegal anywhere is beyond comprehension to me.

Edit: to give a small pointer, take a look a people that are overly drunk, they are totaly out of control of themself, an outright danger to themself and possibly others. And take a look at someone smoking, they are likely just sitting there. It is a huge difference....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  5. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

do you think stating facts like those mentioned above support super71's point of view? your statistics both show the addictive nature of alcohol and the damaging effects it can have on a culture while super71 not only seems to think we should be selling vastly more addictive and damaging drugs in the local grocery stores(as much as he seems to care), he thinks we shouldn't even treat those that get addicted to the super crack that inevitably gets produced by the pharmaceutical companies after the fact.

yes i'm putting some words in his mouth but i'm simply following the obvious path he's laying out in front of us to it's conclusions, which would only benefit the drug producers as they spend billions in advertising to get as many people as possible addicted to their new mass produced highly addictive drugs, all while they tell everyone for years it's safer then water.

on a tangent i wish to address crime, as seen in the past legalization does nothing to help reduce crime though maybe it would on the scale suggested, the black market simply sells their products for less then the legal variants, this can be seen in areas where weed is legal, or even mundane things like tobacco.

btw I'm all for legalization of weed, plain and simple it's harmless less so then tobacco in many ways and I understand the history behind the "war on drugs", but to say every drug should be legalized and leave society to be handled by Darwinism is quite short-sighted for a civilized person to even suggest. it's honestly the type of thing I'd expect to here from a pharma rep lobbyist to be quite frank.

finally and most importantly, it would do nothinge to prevent people from being jailed for trafficking drugs, legalizing a drug does not give everyone the right to then go to any corner and start selling their private stash of drugs, quite a few people in jail are traffickers, these people would still be in jail even if the drugs were legal. The ones that would likely be off the hook are those that simply possessed the drugs for personal use, which if the quantity was small enough may not even make all that much of a difference.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Varthas likes this.
  6. Varthas

You are a 100% correct here and i didn`t agree with all that super71 said, but i didn`t feel like writing/communicating my view in specific. I was afraid his view on the topic would come across as mine, but i still "liked" it, but i didn`t agree in all that he stated.

I think right now the biggest problem is the off-market, wich is sadly the only market in most places. The problem is crap quality products wich are sky high priced, and all the money goes to the black market. That is a huge thing.

Todays youngsters get fooled into those synthetic variants "online" wich are dangerous and extremly harmful.

Alcohol is so much more dangerous and i am on the verge of losing my mom to it, basicly she had problems for last decade and i am helpless, she drink herself to sleep from the bed every night, and it is killing me inside. Dad died in february and i don`t feel strong enough for another loss but it is a one way track. My friend lost his mom when he was 15 yo and his mom was 36 years old to alcohol(his story is HARD to listen to), so in a way i would support a ban on alcohol but we all know alcohol is to big for that to happen.

And yes weed(i am speaking about only weed here, not hashis, or some fake drug lord hashis thinned out with other harmful subtstances to increase profit) is ALOT less harmful than tobacco, and it isn`t addictive either. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance, and within tobacco there is hundreds more harmful substances aswell, so weed and tobacco is not in the same league in harmfullness.

Marijuana will slow a person down wich can in itself create problems for a individual and should ofcourse not be taken lightly, it can be a bad thing for a lots of peoples, lost opportunities in example, a less advanced social life is common aswell, there are probably many sides to it wich are "not good", but it is not as bad as it often come across to be.

I don`t support other drugs in general but for medicine and tru the medical system there are in example morfin based medicines who works absolute wonders for people in dire pains, and it is for sure a wonderful thing how good some stuff are, and that it is well regulated.

As you say those who will be off the hook are the small guys, and it had been wonderful to see this happen. I saw a video from those State Troopers and they pulled a young guy over with some weed in the bag, since he could not have it they ordered him to trow it on the ground and destroy it, but they didn`t give him a ticket or any legal issues. That action speaks volumes about the topic because even the Troopers know that it is a very minor thing all in all.

7. super71

When did I say I want cocaine at my local grocery store lol, i'm still uneasy about alcohol being able to be purchased in grocery stores. I'm simply saying we don't take drugs seriously so why incarcerate every single person who has a gram of weed on them, it's just dumb and a waste of tax payer money in multiple ways.

Typically facts are used to support an argument, so yes i'd say his facts do bolster my point of view quite a bit. Now add in all alcohol related deaths every year, and all alcohol related crimes every year and your looking at some pretty wild numbers.

I'm not saying don't try to help these people, I actually stated twice I believe in second chances, however if you continue to want to kill yourself for a temporary high then that's on you, and I shouldn't be paying for the doctors and nurses to revive you over and over. It's not a lack of compassion that I say all that, but more a lack of frustration at the fact people will throw their lives away so willingly when we have amazing people dying everyday and would love and cherish just 5 more minutes on this earth.

This is the part i'll always miss about the pox forums, fun debates like these.

Varthas likes this.
  8. Varthas

Geressen likes this.
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I spy a French machinegun design at 1:50.
    ( the one with the thick metal fins because they didn't want watercooled, becuse water sleeves tended to get shot and leak.)

10. Varthas

Also the French has never built stuff to last, like ze Germans. For the French`s "it only has to work, not work forever".

Regarding water cooling of MG`s, often the lack of water on the frontlines led to the desperate ones emptied the water inside and drank it, and then had to piss in the cooler to get it working as intented.

11. Varthas

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

IMO, it doesnt really matter, medical use of the drug is already settled, so we're talking about recreational. Losers do drugs regardless of if weed is legal or not. Losers will be losers, that's who they are way before weed is even part of the conversation.

So taxing losers sounds fantastic to me.

13. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

In addition to tax revenue, purity standards can be maintained so it's not laced with something.

14. Varthas

Oh lord these are some words of wisdom right here lol

not

15. Varthas