Markoth's 1000 Shard Challenge Log

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Markoth, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

:/ People keep saying my name. When I google myself on weekends to sate my ego all I am going to find is this thread.

SPiEkY and Vorian like this.
  2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Well, he could have stated in the OP that "you're certainly going to get 1000 shards, but you will lose a lot" but that is less likely to bring players. Instead, he stated that it is possible to do it with a 30-40% win rate and skipped the sad part of grinding and getting pwned. It is likely that doing it from scratch would've been more didactical, but it by no means invalidates the process, specially because 1000 shards means in the best case scenario, a few days of advantage rune wise, and he certainly couldn't make a barely decent BG with that amount.

Vorian likes this.
  3. Bpets

Bpets New Member

Everything is wrong about this other then the end of this statement "and skipped the sad part of grinding and getting pwned". This is why people are quitting so skipping literally the hardest part of it doesn't give the encouragement to the new players hence why it's a fun side project, but not accurate to help out new players as Vorian is claiming. It's like saying look I can squat 500 pounds and so can you while leaving out the fun fact of that it took crazy hard work and dedication while the results come in extremely slow and you feel like crap, because your whole body aches every other day. The difference is this is a game.

4. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

What? Give me one online game that states on its homepage "You're gonna grind for weeks, and the best items are only acquirable with cash". Showcasing the bad side of a game(all games have) does NOT help increasing the playerbase at all, that's a given. You're trying to prove a point by distorting reality, and you're not even gaining anything by doing it.

Seriously man, let it go.

Vorian likes this.
  5. Bpets

Bpets New Member

I never asked for it to be advertised. I simply fought against what Vorian said that It's the next best thing to sepulcher guides. Markoth stated it wasn't what the challenge was from the original thread and I walked away happy. Then Vorian comes in saying how much this will help retain new players which it won't. They won't/don't make it to this point which is a fact. If Markoth was explaining why he chose the runes he did and showed how he used them then this would definitely help retain new players and I would agree with Vorian, but as it stands that's not the case.

6. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Well your problem is that Vorian is a troll and you're falling for the bait.

7. Scathex

Scathex Member

one way to make these types of threads more friendly to new players would be to post the good budget bg on poxbase. I dont know what all those runes are in markoth's deck, and looking around the rune forge for those pictures is frustrating.

Qucas, Lushiris and Vorian like this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Thats a wonderful idea. I will add it on Monday.

Vorian and Qucas like this.
  9. Daerthalus

Daerthalus Devotee of the Blood Owl

Okay thanks for the clarification.
    Making a new 1000 shard BG per cycle is a neat way to really show that it's not all about the money.

As mentioned by others, your level of skill is probably far greater than most new players, so is there any chance that you could record your games so that newer players can get a glimpse into how to play these BGs properly.

It's all well and good to prove to people that you can compete in the Indy 500 with a Toyota Yaris, but unless you give people a glimpse into how you did it, most people will never be able do it themselves.

Vorian likes this.
  10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I will look into this but it may be a be a few weeks before its possible. My mic is a tad sketchy as is my internet, so recording and uploading things tend to be a coin flip on how they turn out. I already have the software. Just need to get it to work.

11. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

or just use a public deck?

you would get 1000 shards by the time you figure out how to play a deck. the best public decks played to its full potential can get you the 1000 shards no problem.

it would be far more difficult for a new player to play enough to be proficient than to get 1000 shards.

actually now that i think about it somebody should try playing public deck in ranked and see how far you can go

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Update to my plans. I will build my second deck when I hit Rare league with the 500 shards that I receive for getting out of Standard league. I am pretty confident that I can build a competitive deck with it. Normally I would use the shards to get an Exotic for the 1000 shard deck but I am pretty happy with the decks competitiveness already. (Who needs Bastion anyway?). If I do end up going over 500 shards with the next deck it will only be by however many shards I have earned from my daily Skirmish matches.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

[01/03/16]
    +1173 G
    +400 Shards
    +19 Exp
    +1 3 Day Token
    +2 Tourney 1st Place (Sorta)
    +Unbending Force

14. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

terrafomer is this good guys.

jk

15. Scathex

Scathex Member

I hate asking the same question twice, but it has been two mondays now and no poxbase link has been added. I suppose its not realy a big deal to me but I would still like to see a poxbase link of this battlegroup. If someone could please post it I would appreciate it.

16. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

17. Scathex

Scathex Member

thanks

18. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I plan on trying this again starting this afternoon. Any requests for deck types?

Edit: My original plan was to do UD Demons because they seem nice and cheap.

19. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Drunks

IMAGIRL likes this.
  20. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

You better make sure you run F*CK YEAH, GREATER PITSPAWN!!!!