Mistakes that have lost you games

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by Omnissions, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Omnissions

Omnissions New Member

I was thinking that it would be useful to compile a list of game-breaking mistakes people have made, so others (especially new players) can see them and avoid making the same mistake in the future. I have a couple to start off, hopefully people have more to add.

1)Placing a champ with 0 ap next to a cliff is not a smart idea.

2)Don't completely ignore summons going towards your font, they got some relics to lay down, and you gonna get nora starveddddd

3)Don't use drudgery every chance you get, count spaces so you are able to contest a font instead of helplessly watching your opponent deploy from it.

4) Before wasting 90 nora on a forbidden fruit/Alacrity combo, make sure to check the current status of your champ, and make sure he isn't antagonized to a less important enemy champion.

2. Anondylar

Anondylar Well-Known Member

5) Don't accidentally cliff your Faultbreaker. Or any unit, really. The exception to this is Rage of the Circle. Cliff away with him!

6) Don't get cocky with your War-Enchanted Groble and rush the beefcake into a dozen skeezick. (150+ hp is easier to whittle down than you think.)

3. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

7) Placing champions in a close position to eachother and them getting aoe spell bombed.

8) misclicking positions causing me to lose ap, get bad positioning and lose an attack.

Anima26 likes this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

9) Manic. My Deep Elf Fanatic is suicidal. The enemy shrine was clearly in the other direction. That Chasm is not where Timmy is. -_-

10) Misdirection. Redeploying me on a space only accessible by flyers, or into a chasm. -_-

11) Faithless. Forgetting my Ireguard can't have spell support alone.

5. Lauremoon

Lauremoon I need me some PIE!

12) Double tap with a ranged champion versus IS. BAM! RD in my face.

13) Attack again, before RD is over. Seriously, check it every turn.

14) Now with IS vs FW, go Conan mode with the most expensive champion and RD freshly putted on against the bulk of the enemy army. FW always have soulreave, ALWAYS.

PD: It's "Mistakes", the saxon genitive refers to possession o_O

Anima26, soulmilk and IMAGIRL like this.
  6. Omnissions

Omnissions New Member

I feel this needs to be emphasized even more, as I have done it a few too many times.

15) Don't double attack KF/IS/ST players blindly. They might have RD, or Protection, Or Blizzard cloak, wasting precious ap on a champ.

It was a typo in the title, you can see I used no apostrophe in the body of the first post. I do apologize, but am not able to fix the thread title.

Fixed thanks to Leadrz and his wisdom

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Lauremoon likes this.
  7. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

You can. Under thread tools near the top.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The threshold is very tight at the top levels. More often than not it comes down to a misclick or minor miscalculation. Sometimes when I'm playing decks that have lots of champions (summoning decks) I'll also run into timer issues, but that's very rarely.

I'm a very defensive player and I know pretty much every rune in the game so I rarely get surprised by whats on the board and the runes I think they probabaly have (like Mobi, for FW for example), but sometimes I put myself into vulnerable situations and my opponent uses a creative combination that I haven't seen or did not think they had available yet.

I see alot of mistakes listed here that tell me "they just need more time playing, or need to pay attention", but even when you get all that hashed out, you'll still lose playing a perfect game from time to time.

I play poker alot, and I'm good at playing the odds, this game works just like that - in a sense - even though you play the odds, that doesnt mean you win every hand.

Woffleet and SaintKiwi like this.
  9. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Don't transfigure vs UD.

Seriously, you're gonna have a bad time.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

But vs FW its ok, tfig.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

just don't transfigure in general unless you have a really good plan for winning in the next 5 (that's on the high end) turns.

otherwise your life will be pain.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Dag, my life has pain and I don't tfig ever. Plz advise.

13. Tricky1

Tricky1 I need me some PIE!

16. Investing too little in font harassment.
    17. Constantly under valuing the power of a kill even if it was heavily invested( map presence is very important)
    18. Neglecting font grabbers such as death harvester or deep miner after collecting the desired font with them.

* I hate myself for number seventeen so much so, it's been years and I still can't judge it right when I play non shattered peaks*

14. Omnissions

Omnissions New Member

The driving idea behind creating this thread was to lessen the time needed to actually play in order to improve. They can have others make mechanics/knowledge mistakes for them, and learn from them. One of the things I love about games like this is like you said, at higher levels of play, everyone is pretty much the same knowledge wise, It all depends how their application of knowledge in certain situations, and a little element of luck. Everything you said is true, just trying to boost up more people to your level.

Anyways, I had an amazing start to a game, then threw it away.

19) Cancel Magic only works with spells costing 40+ nora. Maddening Echos costs 35...... I baited it out...... I took it to the face.....I lost......

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Zlyne and Lauremoon like this.
  15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

LMAO dear god. I needed that laugh today.

20) Not paying as close attention to patch notes as I thought I did.

Lauremoon likes this.
  16. Zerriok

Zerriok New Member

22) Going into a chasm when I think my champion can fly over it while it doesn't. Now I pay attention to the color of the tile.

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

23) (22) Not double checking, and miss counting how much damage I needed to kill off my target. @Zerriok

18. Kendoshi

Kendoshi I need me some PIE!

24) Forgetting about unstoppable
    29) Being bad at math

Gnomes likes this.
  19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

30)Sacrificing multiple champs to contest a font for one turn rather than waiting a few turns to build up forces and regain the font via power turn.
    31)Failure to read combat log and pay attention to enemy trap or relic placement in obscured terrain(example: artillery marker hidden beneath less visible terrain square like the corner of an avatar or under a bush)

Anima26 likes this.
  20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

#31 has won me many a game.