MTG Things

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I honestly have no idea how whether or why Hearthstone cards do or do not have races is relevant to why the Conifer Strider is an elemental instead of a treefolk, but if you have a point, make it.

To add to my summary of our conversation:

Sokolov: Why is this tree looking thing not a tree?!
    Ragic: Because themes don't work in TCGs, and Pox isn't a TCG.
    Sokolov: But clearly themes are prevalent in many card games, in particular MTG.
    Ragic: Yes, but some Hearthstone cards don't have races.
    Sokolov: WTF does that have to do with why this tree is elemental instead of a tree?
    Ragic: I didn't say all Hearthstone cards don't have races.
    Sokolov: Neither did I.
    Ragic: Well then explain to me why some don't.
    Sokolov: How is that relevant? YOU brought it up.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    SaintKiwi and Anima26 like this.
  2. Sokolov

In case it isn't clear, this is a MTG card. In MTG, there is a creature type of Treefolk. They released a "Confider Strider" which is also pictured as a walking conifer, and it was given the type Elemental.

This was funny to me. It has nothing to do with Hearthstone. It has nothing to do with Pox. Heck, it doesn't even have anything to do with themes. It's not like I am trying to build a Treefolk deck, I just happen to hear about it from a podcast I listen to.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

well that was your topic. your topic bored me so I decided to talk about the role of themes in TCGs vs Strategy genres. I guess I should avoid referencing Hearthstone in the future since it apparently hits a nerve.

4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

this is a good opportunity for what we might call "learning"

what we might "learn" from this chain is that when you're responding to a thread, you've read through the OP and (we assume) a few of the replies and the topic bores you enough that you have no interest in discussing it

don't post in that thread. if the topic makes you think of something else that is decidedly a different topic (as in this case), make a different thread for that topic.

going straight sideways on a thread is what's commonly referred to as "derailing"; and, when not accompanied by a proper explanation (as yours was not), the topic jump can be something of a jarring transition

thank you for your time, darling.

5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

you are correct. it was a derail and an intentional one.

heres a cookie.

6. Sokolov

I don't mind a good de-rail, to be honest. I do it all the time :D

But snarky derails that don't even make sense in the first place ("themes don't work in TCGs") and then the person making them just refuses to actually make his point is kind of annoying,.

7. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

This thread tastes of salt, for some reason.

8. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

In that plane, perhaps conifers aren't trees.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Conifers don't grow on plains, they grow in forests.

Anima26 likes this.
  10. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

I don't have a problem with the subtype. Elementals can be literally anything. Sentient species with gender differences, animal hybrids, flying swords - you name it.
    It's funnier that this magical creature towering above the trees can be killed by a domestic cat.
    [​IMG]
    The same cat can fight a trained soldier, murder a goat and kill the master wizard of Tolaria. And live. Go cats!

Anima26 likes this.
  11. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

RED IS 4 NUBS.