My moga bg any advice ?

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Runegod, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Runegod

Runegod I need me some PIE!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  2. 0ryuk0

0ryuk0 I need me some PIE!

Edited your bg.. Yeah. Slags are bad. Slag bg needs more buff. Just play safe, bro. Don't need to rush if you're playing moga. Play defensive. Use the harpoons to pull your enemies to the trapper's traps. I only play 12 mogas in my bg including Mika and Dirge. But, I win many games with it :D
    https://poxbase.com/deck/c4Icy=c2mcgqcz=c2bc3xc2nCjACvMct@CpYC94C3zS1ks8=s7Bs82r2Yr2ZrOe1fE1j

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  3. Runegod

Looks interesting i'll see if i can make room for the harpoons =).

4. CodyW

CodyW Well-Known Member

Kanen slipped should be in moga decks.. massive fuel rage damage

5. Runegod

How do moga deal with sl dragons ? Just had an opponent run vindrax in circles flying away like a ***** then flying back and bombing me for 20+ damage the whole game. Also why does something with a cone have surge anything, seems pretty overpowered to me on a champ that refuses to die.

6. Runegod

Usually i cast things like peaks tactics to buff damage but he had some ridiculous relic where every spell costed 50% more nora and somehow he was casting firestorm every other turn. How do i kill sl champs with all their healing 6 per turn, faction bonus, and cleanse options. He was also throwing out summons the whole game.

7. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

I don't think your opponent is going to be casting 90 nora firestorms every turn. The relic is good in a BG built around it yes, but figure this: if your opponent manages to play without casting any spell the person who put the statue is down 25 nora. Once the relic is on the board you can still cast spells, but you need to be much more considerate.

Anyway, dealing with vindrax:
    You seem to run a lot of ranged alt damage, setting up moga cannon(s) and soothsayer and juggler is what you are looking for. A good turn with peak tactics can also work but like you said spamming cheap guys against high dmg cone attacks isn't very good

8. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Couple thoughts on Vindrax:

You don't always have to kill him immediately (and it's virtually guaranteed you won't be able to early in the game). However, he's a 100 nora champ, which means you've probably got at least 1x more champs on the board (or 2x w/ moga) (especially w/ the SP faction bonus). Use the additional champs to capture or contest more fonts. Once you contest additional fonts, you'll have a significant nora advantage, which will allow you to use spells to deal with Vindrax.

Once you have a font advantage, you'll probably need a couple of turns while you are building up more nora than your opponent and putting more champs on the board. During that time, you can use cc-type spells to minimize Vindrax's effectiveness. State of Confusion will distract him, preventing bombs and forcing him to engage in melee to be useful. Whispers will also distract, once he makes a basic attack, and leave him well positioned to one-round him the following turn.

While you're minimizing his effectiveness, you can whittle him down using moga chef's disease breath to prevent healing and weaken him.

While that's cleansable, the more nora the SL player sinks into Vindrax, it's almost always going to be a positive nora trade (whether cleanse is used to allow regen, remove distract or whipsers).

Once you've built up enough champs, feel free to use a spell or two to finish him (better than a relic against the SL bonus). Champs like Vindrax are a good reason to have Lightning Storm + Avalanche instead of Avalanche x2 (since it's physical damage), but elemental vortex works as well. Peaks Tactics is also good against Moga. SoC is particularly valuable to bypass his phys. resistance.

To bypass the anti-spell relic, at least one of your raiders should have seism (probably both--given their passive nora gain on relic destruction).

Finally, once you see Vindrax deployed, you should prioritize champs w/o physical damage (raiders, moga cannons, soothsayer, birthmother, isangoma, etc.).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Tweek516 and narvoxx like this.
  9. Runegod

Ran into another snag recently, my opponent summoned a voil progenitor and just put like 9 spells on it. How do i counter something that is immune to everything, high hp, high damage, summons Bane Shift. The map was too small and he just kinda ran at me early wasn't much i could do.

The guy enjoyed talking Bane Shift the whole game while he beat me simply because i didn't draw a champ early he was also lvl 99 as i'm lvl 15....

10. Raikan

The "standard" SP solution to a super champ is Vertical Push since it gets redeployed in 3 turns without all it's buffs. It's an expensive spell, but worth it after an opponent has wasted several turns of AP positioning his champ and lots of nora for equips/buff spells. But it probably won't work on Progenitor because he has Titan, which gives Planarbound (immunity to remove from play effects).

Other "typical" strategies are what I outlined above. Font contesting will work effectively, giving you a nora advantage. But CC spells won't be as effective because Titan gives him Unstoppable, which makes him immune to AP loss (negating Whispers for the most part) and which makes it impossible to use knockback effects to bypass his defense (cyclops eye belt is a good source of slam). So you'll just have to use alternative damage and attacks that bypass defense: bombs, dots, and non-physical attacks.

Edit: You could also run doombringer. Doom is still a very powerful solution for superchamps.

Edit x2: You could also include cyclonic fesh (or lightning rod) + lightning storm in your bg.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  11. Runegod

So the solution for the most part to killing something like this is either what you listed or changing my bg more to counter all this nonsense ?

12. Raikan

That's what BG design is supposed to be...building a bg that can adapt and counter everything. There's no perfect bg, and you only get 30 slots, so fine tuning it is a lot of fun. But I don't play themes and they never seemed appealing to me...why would a player artificially limit his rune choices to a subset of runes and deliberately limit the tricks in a BG.

13. narvoxx

narvoxx I need me some PIE!

you can (but don't have to) also accept that this is simply a strategy you will have trouble with and just accept that you are unfavored in the games you come across this stuff.
    Playing something like moga you are going to come across things that are simply good against moge (like swarm champs). If you build a BG around reducing enemy unit's speed you will have trouble fighting tortuns (because their speed cannot be reduced).
    If you want a bg that has an efficient answer to everything you will usually have to settle for a 'good stuff' bg

14. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

I wouldn't play any SP bg without at least 1 viscous harpoon.

Tweek516 likes this.
  15. CodyW

CodyW Well-Known Member

There's just a lot more synergy with a themed deck than there is with a good stuff bg, so you can go either way with it. Normally in a theme there is a unit that has what you need (detection, shatter, etc.) So yes maybe you're limiting yourself from any rune in the faction, but the synergy in the deck will be a lot better.

16. Raikan

There MIGHT be more synergy (not really sure if I agree with that), but synergy is not the same as adaptability or flexibility and an adaptable bg will generally outperform.

17. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Mogas solutions to super champs is to get moga trappers out asap, stall as long as possible while coating a certain space/spaces with traps, and then corral/pull the super champ onto those spaces. But no matter what, stalling is your main strategy with moga against a super champ

18. WhatTheHex

It just made me really sad, that they gave traps a duration.

19. Runegod

So should i run x2 moga trappers you think ? I don't like that the traps go away, makes them kinda useless. Also if they have one detect champ kinda makes them a bad include in my bg, maybe I am missing something though.

20. WhatTheHex

If you run harpoon, you can pull them in the traps. Or if you run relocate foe, or both. I used to run G'hern Overseer for example so i could harpoon relocate any champ from like 7 spaces away.

You'll have to learn the mechanics behind pull and relocate first though, you can find a document made by kasale in one of the stickies in general.