My Yeti Deck

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by 5amb0, Jan 7, 2017.

1. 5amb0

5amb0 I need me some PIE!

https://poxbase.com/deck/CgjC39c22coFc8MC9UCgkCtlc6ucgzs7@s19s5us48s92s2Ls5qs13S8+r3yr1yrIE38

This is my deck. Fill has been changed to snow blind. Pretty well my strategy is to protect my heretics and give them pilgrimage and snowdrift charms. Pilgrimmage is nice bc it works with fuel rage on my icelords, so my heretics will eventually have heall mass and regen 3. same for the curates. Other than that its pretty much road block with cheap meat. get some fear happening through unspeakable and frightful blows. drop snowfalls and have snowstrike to slow their progress and keep my big boys alive with a bunch of half decent healing. It has its down fall. anti healing wrecks me. flyers are tough. its got a shatter option and pilfer on tracker if you want (i run snow trap just to make him toughter to run past). obviously cleansing storm. i take storm over emerald bc of adaptive. Any questions, ill answer them.

Also idk how to post pictures of my deck, otherwise i wouldve

2. Orubus

Orubus Devotee of the Blood Owl

How is this bg working for you? I noticed three things.

Is that avalancher effective for you?

Why no yeti apost?( the bounty hunters ). They are one of the yetis most solid units along with painter.

And the spell call of the tundra. You don't need but it does refund some Nora when you have an amount of champs out. So you pay for spot on 28 damage single target maybe more if you use unleash.

Also allows your units to stay safe while you finish a kill.

3. Orubus

Orubus Devotee of the Blood Owl

@calisk could probably chime in too, he has played some yetis since his comeback and he is one of st's better players

4. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

so first off I don't play the super champ style of a lot of st players i've seen since returning, and thus my advice will likely not be of much use to you since you are running adaptive super champ style.

yeti's are a theme that's racial scales with the more yeti's you have in play thus the more nora you invest in things other then yeti's is detracting from that. so although I considered them I decided not to go with things like pilgrimage and slow equipment like snow drift charm.

my support runes focused on things to allow my yeti's to get kills and close gaps, things like swap, gale, cott, lusara's, yeti fang, etc

my champs on the other hand I'm largely unsatisfied with atm, it's effective I have no doubt of that, but I feel like something is missing and I suspect we won't get it till another yeti is released so i'll go over every yeti I include in my bg.

yeti hound - amazing unit, he's your font capper, he has great speed, some protection from spells and abilities, and leap+ca2 makes for an amazing gale wall.

yeti spirit - cheap font contestor, and font capper decent abom source, and a pers counter if need be. I run with aura because they have a higher dps.

yeti scout - while abom is great for detecting champs, sometimes you need a detect and shatter champ, well this is my go to guy.

yeti painter - alt damage ranged unit that boosts other yetis and distracts opponents....what's not to like?

yeti ancient - the yeti all star, your starting quarter back, your michael jordan...basket ball not baseball. yeti ancient with life drinker and berserk is a threat that will likely take some effort to remove and if played well he can really force your opponent into a corner.

yeti druid - diver, cleanse, crystalyze, ranged magic, he's got everything you need to properly protect your yeti ancient which is why I often pair these two up, if they debuff him the druid will cleanse if they want to alpha strike him he can divert, and if you want to turtle or aggressively move the ancient forward you can crystalyze him.

yeti shaman - not as effective of a support for the ancient do to the size difference, but heal and imbue are useful, and swap is good if you run something else, the general issue is his cost I find it hard to deploy this guy over most of the other yeti's on this list at his price range.

ice lord - while strong and an alt damage type, charge does not trigger off abom, but he still needs it so that he can close the gap, calcify generally means he will never be one rounded without a spell, so he's pretty nice. I often find myself deploying him before my opponent gets a counter attack just to give them the fear debuff.

now -- that's it for the main team, I have 2 slots whichI constantly cycle yeti's in and out of to test different things, I haven't found one yeti that just screams out as something that I must include.

yeti trackers so you can combo the the declare + cott for an easy double attack, and his fear to make it hard to fight back.

tundra yetis - because pummel works with abom so it's a pretty devastating hit, unfortunately very slow and pretty meh for 4 rounds while youwait for pummel to come off cd.

crystal yetis - heavy hitters and hard to kill but cannot take advantage of abom

mutant yetis - pretty effective tanks but very slow to build up, and in this meta you often don't have the time.

sleeping yeti - combo's amazingly well with lusara's but costs a ton more nora then any other yeti in this deck, and if very hard to deploy because of it.

keeper - same reason as sleeping yeti, it's a solid ranged yeti but that nora cost is very hard to justify deploying.

yeti berserker - very fast and a heavy hitter, this guy is a pretty good choice but again his cost is just a bit higher then i'd like

yeti apostate - reinforcement is good and a pretty heavy hitter, and the cost is right, but I find this guy in an odd spot, if you protective his cost is right, but then he's insanely vanilla, if you go how he has a nice package that can deploy and attack a font aggressor immediately, but then he costs a bit much for what he does, and howl doesn't work with abom...as such I've never been happy with him.

some notes - if you were going to run yeti avalancher( and i've tried ) don't bother, you have two choices, you could go yeti trackers which have a much nicer support package, or you can go wailing yeti.

wailing yeti with sonic aura, and frightful blows, has an alt damage source, 1-3 range, more damage, and a pers counter built in for 2 nora more then yeti avalancher. sure it's a little slower but the range more then makes up for that.

I could go on but i find the biggest mistake players are making when I watch them playing yeti's is including mediocre to underwhelming champ choice, and if they'd bring the right guns to the table they'd be doing a lot better.

some traps not to fall into....

yeti cub - the leverage is nice and it's low cost but the champ you is just so bad it's really not worth it, also snow ball doesn't trigger with abom. DNR

yeti sorceror - if you decide to run her, go with magic bomb and not magic blast, blast for no reason does not work with abom, and ultimately the aoe def reduction will be more useful to you.

curate - i'll admit this is a bit of a personal choice, but i find shamans and druids leaps and bounds better then her of not for the fact alone that they can attack at range from behind your units which when combined with abom is always an asset, her design is just a bit off of what the current yeti's want. if I ever get a chance to tweak her it would not take much though to put her a competitive level with shaman and druid.

anything not mentioned is so aggressively mediocre that I did not have much to say about them.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Gnomes likes this.
  5. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Call of the tundra ran with Ancestral Focus and you may find you can get adaptive on heretics going pretty fast. It also gives you so much more meat and dmg and obstacles your opponent has to go through.

6. calisk

I know I'm a different generation of player but the idea of running a 95 nora combo to get +2 damage on an adaptive champ just sounds so terrible lol

personnally if I did run adaptive champs, I wouldn't run any spells at all with the intention of boosting them, i'd simply cast my spells as I always do and let them grow naturally so when they inevitably dispelled or spot removed the loses are minimal

pox is a game of balancing loses with gains, and if you put everything into 1 or 2 champs then you will lose everything when they counter them.

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Focus is committing way too hard to adaptive.

If you're casting call and not getting a kill you're doing it wrong.

What @calisk said

8. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

That's why I like ancestral focus, it reduces CDs on spells I have not even used as well, that I normally use anyways. For 40 nora I get the block to the font, Two brutal hits, activate a sabotage, block the psychic pings, and disarm a trap. Increase heretics powers by natural means and the icing on the cake is I protect supporting and fighting champs and I reserve their ap.

9. calisk

well it does the same for your opponent, in many ways a chronomancer would be better for an adaptive deck....of course theirs the whole investing far too much into adaptive but meh.

also not sure where all that is coming from in yourr example.

i mean ancestral is 40 but jsut about everything else you mentioned requires a lot more then 40, and it's not like you get it for the initial investment.

I mean the nora you spend on ancestral focus for 10 more you ould of used gale and got a kill....it's hard to argue what is better

10. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

yeti ambusher?

11. 5amb0

Im just testing the avalancher. I find hes pretty sticky with snowstrike. and with frightful blows unless they're fearless (which is rare) or they cleanse, theyll have to disengae if they want to get attacks off.
    No apostate bc while reinforce and bounty hunter are nice, I prefer conqueror. I know 2x2 gets a lot of hate, but they keep everything off my heretics, and the fear is helpful.
    I prefer to run conquerors on their own with regen 3 and fear 1. A pilgrimage cast on them if i have another unleash champ out mean they get heal mass right off their first unleash, which can be really handy if your opponent doesnt expect it. Also I just like hving real champs on the board

12. 5amb0

Ive also replace the tundra yeti with another conqueror and I like the curates bc, between crystalize, heal, heal mass and abom, they never attack anyways, and if they use abom it save that precious ap on my other yetis

13. 5amb0

And yeti cub, the way I look at it, with leverage, its 46 nora for 51 (56 with wb) HP. 10 dmg is okay, and snowball, while it sucks, is still an 8 dmg range 4 attack that ignores defense

14. calisk

I didn't bother mentioning him mostly cause of cost but he has a pretty mice combo with lusaras

15. calisk

You are right....but something being cheap isn't the sole reason to run a champ, usually it needs something else and cub just does not bring it for me.

The deck slot is better used for something that will have more impact

As for avalancher I do highly suggest trying the wailer with aura and fearful blows hell most certainly impress more and this is coming from someone that tried avalancher for the exact same reasons as you

16. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

I want to know more. How do you like yeti? Built in detection on all champs is nice

17. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

upload_2017-1-30_11-31-58.png
    I threw this together after calisk stomped me with yeti. The yeti fang equipment is key to Yeti ancient attacking twice when ran with berserker. Also every fuel rage grants +1 damage, so in combination with painter and/or ice fishers' hamlet the damage on ancient can get high fast. Yeti Apostate is beefy once bounty hunter starts, I run him with protective for the extra damage of course. I use yeti sorcerer 2x because snow strike is lame as hell to play against.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Gnomes likes this.