Nerf Nexus Aura

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Excalibur95, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

with two nexus aura guys out, admittedly usually IS i guess because they take just about no damage, maybe 0, 1 or 2 max when the damage gets split. you get two rounds of immunity and free attacks.

enough to wipe out the the enemy if they stick around, i see players like to hug your champs with theirs so they cant move away.

i realize IS get all the defensive abilities, its not something i agree with, i think there are too many that get stacked / combined.

i see players also run grintmaw hymn in combination, with all the other usual suspects, scrapper, deflects, blocks along with the already great def and tough of IS.

its not easy to take out the nexus aura champs if they dont rush in and there are usually more important targets to take out.

i lose every standoff game vs IS playing this, i have managed to win some from rushes before they get what they need out.

why is it op, because i lose to it soo much and theres usually nothing i can do to change this, its not my playing at fault imo just the mechanics of nexus aura. its like a deck / draw win... for them.

2. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

ISisOP

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

When people put nexus aura out I usually use aoe attacks as it splits among all of them.

aseryen and Kampel like this.
  4. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

good idea, though some decks / themes dont have them or are weak due champions damage, youd also harm your own champs. i would love to include decent aoe champs in every of my bgs if i could, someone needs to start designing more.

aoe spells would not work vs IS (the main nexus aura offender) at -6 damage from spells.

5. super71

Yeah that's why I didn't mention spells for ironfist, any kind of area effect works though tremor, binding chains etc.

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Nexus aura was already nerfed and personally I don't care if it is nerfed again but don't feel it needs it. I also feel it is a crutch for barbarians (B.Guardian) much like "incite" was on chieftain..sadly the aggressive one was pulled and the defensive one was left.

- Sokolov has expressed that incite being replaced by invigorate does not have to be the final solution so I'll likely make a suggestion. So my agenda is remove it from Barbarian Guardian either way to open up design space for a more aggressive barbarian playstyle.

- As far as further nerfing to nexus aura I think it's pretty obvious when triggered and nerf discussions largely follow the same old nerf discussions for Righteous deflection. It is possible but largely just stalls and largely just wastes AP from the enemy.

7. super71

Nexus aura is fine

8. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Not every bg is going to have a counter for everything.

If you start to have problems start switching out units, play with 3-5 runes the fluctuate.

Detection
    Shatter
    Indirect Dmg (LoL, Bombs, Spells, etc.)
    Stealth
    AP gen

The list goes on but there are a lot of utility and damaging runes that like you say just won't fit in your bg. There was an era where everyone played indirect Dmg with bombs, novas, auras...it's still going to be a strong strategy even if you can't/don't want to...and personally I see those abilities akin to Detection, Shatter, etc...there's no arguing it.

Your bg either has the mechanic and benefits from it or it becomes an exploit your opponent had their bg designed around already. Which is why you could/should have rotating bgs.

As for the issue of Nexus Aura specifically...

Nexus Aura does get into a tricky spot where decks that abuse the function benefit more so than a deck with Stealth matched against no Detection so to speak...although were talking about a very specific match up which imo just add your counters.

Stealthed units are occasionally dead units in Fonts even if they are contesting, which let's just say is the main goal of Nexus Aura, to contest. Both accomplish the goal however a stealthed unit can still be discovered and taken out, whereas what the OP is saying, Nexus Aura is an issue for the passive return it provides.

I get the OP but really unless it was an IS/ST bg abusing Nexus Aura, with Dread, Slows and all the other spammy/annoying combos that split can pull off, then really it's nothing to worry about.

The way I see it is you have a few options...

Stall
    Pull out
    Add your counter runes

S.P.A.

9. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

How can you have a problem with nexus aura? what/how are you playing? ive stopped using barb guardian because its so easy to counter, i sure miss swap though but not nexus aura. IS has always been about defense and building up, but with the silly high amount of AoE abilities with ignore defense, our only tiny defense left is nexus aura and you want it nerfed?

But you say the guardians aint important to take out?
    if you still play UD, bring a 'banish' with you next time you fight IS, no barbarian guardian near anymore and you can just drop a firebomb-combo and win, easy.

10. Hierokliff

Barbarians do not need a more aggressive playstyle, its already all about attacking and losing (unless being in a holy theme). Putting in more offensive abilities will not help barbarians, so dont nerf the only useful defensive barbarian there is atm and make him another useless (70+ nora) melee, looking at pure barbarians, they are boring.

11. super71

Barb guardian still has swap, so why are you saying you miss it ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  12. davre

13. super71

More of me questioning why he was saying he missed swap on barb guardian, when he still has it. Fixed it so you can be a cool smart guy somewhere else.

14. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Cool smart guy here.

I think he means that since he isn't running guardian anymore, he misses having access to swap, but doesnt miss having nexus aura.

Hierokliff likes this.
  15. Hierokliff

i miss swap since i dont use barb guardians anymore because boredom. sure i could find one of our other 2 units that has swap but nah.

16. davre

That was actually an edited post because I second guessed myself and decided it had to be a pox knowledge error rather than a reading comprehension error.

A comma is often used to separate two related but independent thoughts.

17. super71

He's one of the best barbarians still as far as utility goes, swap, nexus aura, shroud, battle master or protective. He's sufficiently tanky, can deal damage, and can buff or protect your units. I don't know anyone that wouldn't run him in full barbarians. He is literally one of the least bland barbarians in the faction probably.

18. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

It would be cool if Nexus Aura could be countered by distracting the Nexus champ, or dispelling the effect.

If you remove or relocate the Nexus champ from it's spot, the effects of nexus are stopped or redirected correct? (Blink,v-push, vortex, pull, slam, ect...) If so, then if the nexus champ became distracted, it should stop the effects of nexus aura. (Just like how being distracted stops the st karate ability.) At the very least you should be able to dispel the effects of nexus arua.

19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

If you use slam on the nexus group dose anything get knocked back at all? Either the attacked unit should be knocked back (possibly out of the nexus AoE), or all champs in the nexus should be knocked back, fallowing the same knock back rules that gale force fallows. Slam could be a fun nexus counter as well if it would allow knockback.

20. Hierokliff

Pretty sure that if the first target takes damage its get knocked back, the others are not affected by poison,rend,knockback, rock defiance etc. its just that mostly people aim for Bastion, and if he is in a nexus aura with 2-3 other you dont damage him. this is the big question on the guardian, to use resilience so he dont take 1-4dmg or tough so he takes less damage, thankfully not all people aim only on him. if bubble or grintmaws hymn is up you need to penetrate those also first.