new living dnd/pathfinder game recruiting players

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by calisk, Mar 2, 2017.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

So I was thinking of creating a new dnd/pathfinder game but I was planning to do it in a west marches style.

west marches style is essentially played on forums.

there is no set date to play, essentially players talk and discuss they hear rumours around town, and what not, and then players decide when they want to go out on an adventure, they get group from other players that are up for committing some time and then head out.

the world is shared, information is shared, an the map grows as the players play, one group might find a necromancer lair, abandon their adventure and it will stay their till another group decides to tackle it.

some things to note about this style of play....

1) it's player focused, much in the sense that when played right you end up switching groups regularly, but as such you often end up grouping up with player of different levels, and different dynamics.

a 5th levels fighter might team up with a 3rd level cleric kind of thing.

2)encounters are static, and it can be pretty hard core - you may find a dragons lair to the north east of the town in the mountains, until the dragon is killed you run the risk of encountering him in the wild in that area, he will stay on that map essentially forever until it's dealt with, even if it's not dealt with by you.

3) you are likely to die, due to the nature of 1 and 2 it's quite likely characters will die, it's possible to get over your head, and retreat is likely to be the best option, dungeons may not exist just to be completed by your party, it may have areas to return to later or by another group. as such it's a very dangerous way to play and the dm will less likely be balancing thing just for your group.

4) their is no maximum player count. the game plays the same with 8 players as it does with 60 players. the only difference is the map will likely expand far more quickly.

5) players create the world and the map. the game starts with no understanding of the world around your town and you will be the ones defining the edges of the map exploring, building, etc. As such it's community play, and you will need to share information with other players in the game.

now whether you are new or old at playing table top rpgs, if this sounds interesting to you I'd be happy to have you join.

edit ---- for those that are new and looking into this for the first time, most of the rules and stuff we came up with can be found on my forums here

www.dmcreations.net/forums

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

Sounds pretty dang cool
    Assuming this is play-by-post type deal or will there be some roll20 involved?

3. calisk

I'm still working out the details, but it's play by post.

rolling may be done by me, or if I can get a roll bot working for reddit then we'll be using that.

when it's working the forums will have a thread for each adventure, and the town.

when players are in the town they can buy things, share information, hear about rumours, and what not, and when they are on and adventure, everything to do with that adventure will be in that thread.

the town will likely have a number of different smaller threads, like shops, taverns, etc just to keep the threads clean

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Dolcebrodude likes this.
  4. Dolcebrodude

discord might be an alternative for a roll bot place

5. calisk

never used it i'll need to check it out

6. Dolcebrodude

oh and one more idea: what if we reskined some dnd/pf races and rules to make this pox related? Obviously make the location an unexplored place like say notMaljara or something but keep the races and the old lore maybe?

7. calisk

well I usually create my own settings, I don't like being confined to any lore or setting that might restrict something I could do, I often create my own monsters and prefer player not be able to reference or recognize most of what I send at them.

that said I draw heavily from many sources and have in the past draw from pox on occasion.

also if you wish to create custom classes and races I'm usually game for that.

8. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

This sounds fun to me.. on player death does that necessitate starting at 1 again or is it acceptable to start at a higher level.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'd give it a go.

10. calisk

was toying with the idea of resetting the players back to 1, but ultimately I think that would not add to the game in any way.

as such you'd likely take the 1 level loss which is standard and get set back a bit on your next character

11. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

This is the best idea in a long time and i Love to be in.

Questions
    1. Can i be a Firk? if you can customise that race i guess bonus to wis and psychic things
    2. Will you alow me to play solo.
    3. Can i pick some negative traits to start with to get some bonus traits chosen by you :D

edit: I just remebered DND got some octopus race allready but i dont want to be evil aligned so maybe i will be a Merfolk Cleric instead if you allow it.

[​IMG]
    Name: Firk Ironfist
    Chaotic Good
    Cleric

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

+1 interested

13. calisk

Forks are illithids from dnd which is essentially among the powerful creatures to exist in the universe and the last things you ever want to meet in a dungeon.

That said their are a number of psychic races in pathfinder that are similar that we could adapt.

As for playing solo that's your call and I don't mind at all, but dnd is a pretty tough game to play completely solo.

Negative traits are fine the system used in pathfinder is 2 negative traits for one positive trait.

14. calisk

also I have no problem with you playing a cleric, though the god you pick will restrict your alignment to match

once I have everything worked out I'll give character creation rules

15. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

I will be a Mirfolk instead my negative traits are.
    1. Gullable
    2.Must be hydrated at all times(carry alott of water)
    3.To Honest, never lies
    4.Can be caught up in everyday things. Like birds flying by, the clouds, or just about everything. Often losing focus on what i am doing to observe some of the wounders of the world.

Pick two possitive traits that you think would fit with this character and is fun and pm me.

16. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

I would whery much like to have a family heirloom weapon a spear that i have lost and am looking for worked into the world. I will tell its story tomorrow.

17. calisk

these are the thre aquatic player races in path finder may want to take a look at them

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-merfolk/ - pretty much what you expect, the alternate racial can give them a land speed so they are ok out of the water
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-gillmen/ - no real pox equivalent but they have aqautic pretty much and die if they are out of the water for too long
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-grippli/ - bog hoppers

18. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

19. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I've never played anything like this, but it seems fun to try. What do I need to do to get started?

20. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I like roleplaying and the Pathfinder system specifically... I'm a little concerned with there being too many people involved, especially with a "play by post" format (where waiting for other players can be an issue compared to playing in person).

I am tentatively interested however.