New Mulligan Rule

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Jul 15, 2016.

1. noamkeren

noamkeren I need me some PIE!

I'm playing salamans and I didn't have any problem with deploying apperaiser early and I won games before without even deploying apperaiser all the game.

2. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Thanks.

Same. Doesn't actually change what I'm saying. Some decks DO rely on certain runes, those runes are now more "unpredictable" as to when you draw them.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Barely any more so than the old system:

What matters most is how many runes a player has revealed at a particular point in the game. The current reveal mechanics increase the revealed number of runes in all but the latest turns compared to the old system. If you are encountering problems, that's most likely the result of some bad luck, rather than any statistical change in the draw rate. The extra runes from the initial pull essentially jump-start the first 4 scrys, and only start to fall behind after that, by 1 rune per turn.

4. Atherhog

I've not done the analysis and I assume you have. Pffft... Fair enough.

5. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

old way: why is this dude stomping me out and getting counters to every thing I do, o he scryed his shrine down to 50 hp that makes sense.

new way: dude is getting so lucky, probably gets to play lag free too!

6. Atherhog

Can someone clearly explain to me the following:

What was the starting reveal and reveal per turn without scrying
    What is the new starting reveal and reveal per turn

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Previous reveal was 4/5 at start, with 2+1 scry; new reveal is 8/9 with flat 2.

8. Atherhog

So, looking at this.

The new system actually falls behind the old one by turn five.

By turn 7 you have a 10% less chance of having a particular rune.

So what we have is this: Less likelihood of starting the game without champs BUT less likelihood of drawing a specific champ if you don't draw him at the start.

9. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

You should count that now you dont have to melt half your shrine.

10. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

Played around 10 matches yesterday.
    Felt really good.
    I especially liked having to choose between 3-5 different champions instead of 1-2.
    It feels way more natural and stressfree and it have become easier to strategize.
    Using the avatar to fight feels better now too with full HP.

poinl and Kampel like this.
  11. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

I like the new system.

Kampel, SPiEkY and soulmilk like this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ok, responses on ToH after first game where it was properly working (after buggy Scorn was removed):
    1. I definitely noticed the lack of Scry. Managing ToH became a much bigger part of the turn, and the relic bled out at a fair clip even when running some Shrine damage. That's because, once the shrine hits max life, a single turn of ToH will fully heal it (baring something drastic), so you must deal shrine damage every turn.
    2. The addition of Scorn would do nothing to improve the relic outside of niche scenarios (for instance, if you really want 2 global LoL and have done no other shrine damage), and might even hamper it. Healing follows the rate mentioned above, which means that an extra starter tap doesn't affect the long-term play of ToH, and hampers the short-term by damaging the shrine. At most, it provides one extra turn of no forced damage.
    3. I did feel the lack of reveals from Scry in the middle-to-late reveal period. I'd bet a fair number of other factions cut off Scrying earlier, but when running ToH outside of worms, I'd Scry fairly hard into the mid-game because of ToH. So, aside from Scrying allowing HP manipulation, I also felt the reduced reveal rates.
    Usual disclaimer: none of this means I think ToH needs any particular change. I still ran it, it did its role well enough. But, if these are data points which you, Sok, want to change, or anyone else wants to discuss, there they are.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Thanks, @kalasle. I think the second part of Point 1 is particularly interesting - in which it is healing to full anyway. In hindsight, it seems the HP increase to TOH would have been better served than adding Scorn.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

If you were looking to make ToH better, I would agree.

I kind of like the strange HP value on ToH -- adds to that unique FW feel ™ -- but yes, more would make the rune stronger, at least in comparison to Scorn.