New online competetive turn-based tactical customizable strategy game!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 14, 2014.

1. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

There's an indie game on kickstarter and Steam greenlight right now which should be pretty appealing to us Pox Nora fans. Check it out, maybe our beloved devs can also take some inspiration from them, although tbqh I don't see a whole lot of new ground being broken here. Cool art style and art design though. What do you think? Personally, I would miss the huge variety of units and extra complexity of Pox Nora (this seems much simpler) not to mention the added dimension of map terrain + nora font/shrine objectives.

Even if it might not be the "second-coming" of a pox-level tactical game, it's still great to see a quality PVP tactics game getting made. Who knows, maybe if this game is popular we can introduce the more hardcore players to Pox, which is similar to this game but far, far more complex.

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keithlee/duelyst
    Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=237188187

Screenshots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. only

only Active Member

but graphics are so bad... ;(

3. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I know, "pixel art" is so trendy these days, but to me it looks just messy. the bloom effect just makes the whole thing look blurry to boot. I prefer the clean sprites of pox nora to these pixelly things.

BUT I will say that the art design and characters look pretty sweet. I'm so glad it's not "high fantasy" elves and orcs stuff....they have some unique designs for sure.

4. Oblitrix

Oblitrix The King of Potatoes

That's some good music in their trailer btw.

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

looks like a handheld/mobile game

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I backed the $15 early bird special guardian tier to play the game when it comes out

7. Kvothe

Kvothe New Member

I like the art. But not the game graphics..

8. BulletTooth

BulletTooth New Member

9. only

only Active Member

Ragic likes this.
  10. BulletTooth

BulletTooth New Member

I am fine with the graphics. I actually enjoy pixel art. Also the environments look amazing

11. BulletTooth

BulletTooth New Member

12. Thonskie

Thonskie Member

Gameplay is a bit similar to Heroes of Might and Magic?.... But yeah, cool game.

13. PharumM

PharumM Member

looks very interesting and honestly with all the background and lore and stuff i think it will succed
    anyhow compare to conquest or no you know what it would be better for me to not comentit

14. Rockhopper

Rockhopper Well-Known Member

I'm keeping my eye on this one. I personally like the animation and art choices made but I can see why they would irk people (especially as it is becoming more and more prevalent).

15. PharumM

PharumM Member

i would like to add this one to my wish list on steam already i wonder about the "buy once invest time in your runes" i dont realy understand what he mean
    if i buy game i'll get all the runes all the factions ?what then why would i need to invest my time other than know how to play them make combo ? does any1 know ?

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the runes level?

17. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

It's like Pox-lite + Hearthstone. I have an extra alpha code. It plays in Chrome. Just saying.

newsbuff likes this.
  18. Capricis

Capricis Member

Cool. Applied for beta. How do you like it compared to Pox?

19. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

Plays much faster. The simplified gameplay - Hearthstone-esque simplicity of units - is actually a big plus for me. Part of the reason I don't play Pox anymore is that I don't like sitting down for 30+ minute games. Most Duelyst matches tend to be in the 8-12 minute range, though there are outliers on both sides.

I like how there's a tactical game to play, too, where clever positioning matters. Makes it more interesting for me than Hearthstone.

First player v. Second player balance actually feels pretty good. Certainly there are advantages to one versus another, but it more comes down to deck type rather than outright advantage. Rush players like to go first, control players like to go second, for instance.

Right now they haven't ironed out the F2P aspects of Duelyst, but I'm expecting it to be pretty similar to Hearthstone. Fairly rewarding. I'll probably drop some money on it in order to build my collection off the bat because...

Every faction is appealing. The art is amazing and they all have a pretty decent identity. There are a few balance issues, but the game is still in alpha and feels fairly balanced. They have one more faction to add, which will bring them to 6.

I'm enjoying it so far. I think it's a game I'll play casually on and off for a long time.

20. Capricis

Capricis Member

I am the type of guy who can wait a year to pick up an interesting game in a fire-sale. But dammit, that sounds fun. What can this lowly moga do for you, for that key!