New online competetive turn-based tactical customizable strategy game!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So, yea, I have no concerns about the model from a personal perspective, and was actually surprised that the game wasn't F2P initially. Personally, I feel F2P fits this type of game more, and the reason I didn't back the KS initially was because it wasn't F2P (i.e. I thought it was a premium multiplayer tactics game that wasn't going to get enough users to maintain a competitive environment for any length of time while also not having a plan for future content).

However, the problem here is the "switch" which imply a few things potentially:
    • it was bait and switch (not a good sign), but no real evidence of this
    • they got investment or a publishing deal from someone that is insisting on changes such as F2P (again, not a good sign)
    • they didn't have a plan for F2P initially, which may manifest itself later in development, tho they have a good model to draw from in Hearthstone
    It may not be anything other than them realizing they would like to make more money - but the risk of antagonizing early backers is real and they decided to do it so there must be strong reasons internally for it.

So to be clear, I largely see the switch itself as a potential concern due to what it might imply, rather than F2P itself being the concern.

2. Sokolov

Just played against THIS first turn.

He casts the spell that summons 4 wrathlings, it summons in the perfect position to grab 2 of the mana things, which then he uses to summon a another minion.

[​IMG]

I never caught up, as he proceeded to deploy Deathwatch units and saccing his Wrathlings.

3. Sokolov

I feel like my decks must suck, as my opening hands always seem to be so trash compared to everyone else's. Like drawing an Opening Gambit as my only unit that has no chance of triggering anything useful.

Tang, I just drew both my Opening Gambit: Dispel minions in the first turn.. sigh got replaced by a Shadow-watcher, which is also terrible first turn deploy. Maybe I need to retool my decks so I have better early minions

Maybe I am just being trolled :D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  4. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

Abyssians have a couple cards that are crazy broken and need to be nerfed yesterday.

Wraithling Swarm. Too many champs for 3 Mana, + it facilitates the other broken cards and makes them even more extreme.
    Bloodmoon Priestess. Infinite Wraithlings is just dumb.
    Shadowdancer. 8+ unavoidable damage each turn, straight to your General's head from anywhere on the board? Seems balanced.
    That spell that gives +2 Damage to all friendly Minions. No so bad by itself, but when there is a Wraithling Swarm or a Bloodmoon Priestess around, it just gets dumb.

Really, Wraithling Swarm + Bloodmoon Priestess is game breaking.
    Tossing in the +2 Damage Spell or a ShadowDancer or a second Bloodmoon Priestess is instant GG. No coming back from that.

5. SkeletonKing

lol, dueling Sokolov now in a random game. He's fallen to the dark side.

P.S. Accept my friend invite. :p

6. Sokolov

My opening hand was 2x Opening Gambit: Dispel, which then got replaced with 2x 1/1 Deathwatch. So we'll see how this goes.

7. SkeletonKing

Ahh.... their chat system sucks. It scrolled off the screen and I couldn't read what you were typing anymore. :(

I heard the beeping, but since I don't have a scroll bar, I couldn't read it.

8. junithorn

junithorn I need me some PIE!

With magmar, if you dont have 3x vindicator and 3x makantor warbeast you cant win, if you do you'll win every game

9. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

I've been mostly playing Songhai so far. It has been pretty fun. I am still grappling with my card selection though, as I am not sure which one works best with what I have.

Anyone done the crafting system yet? How does it work?

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Sorry, I posted my name too soon. I have a key, but haven't activated.

11. tangmcgame

tangmcgame I need me some PIE!

On Crafting:
    You get two currencies for disenchanting. The first is Spirit, which is a catchall currency for every card. Cards cost an amount of Spirit based on their rarity to craft: 100 for Commons, 200 for Rares, 450 for Epics and 1000 for Legendaries. The second are Shards. Each shard has a rarity - Common, Rare, Epic and Legendary - and crafting a card requires a certain number of shards of the appropriate rarity. You can also get bonus Spirit, Shards and Gold for disenchanting, and it's possible to get bonus Shards that are one rarity rank up from the card you disenchanted (disenchant an Epic and maybe get a Legendary shard, for example).

Because there are still more resets coming in the future, what I've been doing is disenchanting one or two factions at a time and trying to build a half-decent deck for one or maybe two other factions. It lets me give all the factions a fair shake without making the quests unbearable. I'm really looking forward to when I can just buy packs, because I want to play every faction.

On Magmar:
    3x Makantor is a definite must. I don't have any Vindicators and am doing okay. Saberspine Tiger + Diretide Frenzy is like a mini-Makantor for an extra card. You want Mana Burns, Natural Selections, Plasma Storms, Earth Spheres and Adamantite Claws on top of the Makantors. The rest is gravy, though the Magmar basic 3-drops are both pretty solid. Of course, I'd love to have a larger Magmar collection to test out and I have no doubt Vindicators are amazing.

On Abyssian:
    Yeah, that 3-core open is really rough. Wraithling Swarm just got buffed to 4 Wraithlings (instead of 3) with the last patch. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets reverted or the spell gets some other changes. And Shadowdancer doesn't really seem that OP to me. If Abyssian players can keep units on the board you're in trouble. If you can keep the board clear, there's not a ton they can do. Also, run silences and make sure you're handling minion removal in the proper order.

12. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Do you need both shards and spirit to craft a card or can you use either?

13. tangmcgame

You need both.

14. SkeletonKing

I cheated a little with the two codes I got from the forums and made two accounts.

One account I sharded everything that wasn't Vetruvian and on the other I sharded everything that wasn't Magmar.
    Then crafted stuff. That gave me some pretty good stuff for both.

So I've been playing with those two. I think there is supposed to be a wipe today actually, isn't there?

15. tangmcgame

There was a wipe last Tuesday and they announced that a week in advance. If there's supposed to be one today, I don't know about it.

16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

So I got 2 spare keys, for those who want them.

17. SkeletonKing

Gotcha, I must've been reading an old post or something.

18. tangmcgame

There's a patch today. A few bug fixes, a few changes to the way some mechanics work, and a new spell for Songhai (costs 2 cores and increases damage dealt by spells by 2 for the rest of the turn; seems like kinda' the opposite of what Songhai burn needed).

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Finally got signed in. I played Songhai for my first PvP, I won thanks to the spell that does 5 damage to the general and a minion. I was facing Abyssian.

20. tangmcgame

Spiral Technique is pretty stronk. Wait until you're rocking Tusk Boars, Inner Focuses, Mana Vortexes, and Jade Monks. Songhai is pretty powerful, though it can run out of steam more easily than other factions.