New online competetive turn-based tactical customizable strategy game!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 14, 2014.

1. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I'm having a lot of fun with a Vanar Frost themed Deck.
    Oh you killed one of my creatures? Cool, it becomes another creature.
    Gravity Well is a huge FU. It's practically a Timewalk type spell when it comes to minions.
    Polarity and Frostfire have been my Go-To spells every game so far.

2. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

I too have been playing pure frost. I abandoned Songhai for good. I don't like Vanar's other mechanic (not sure what its called, but the one where you're on the other side of the map).

3. SkeletonKing

Yeah, I think it's called Infiltrate? Whatever it is, it's neither good nor fun.

4. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Mechaz0r!

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I've been playing already, but just received a code in my email. Someone should use it. 287194b3-7c97-427d-a5a9-529961541579

6. SkeletonKing

What does Mechazor actually look like?
    I've never bothered trying to build it.

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

It's pretty badass.

[​IMG]

SaintKiwi likes this.
  8. SaintKiwi

Anyone still kicking butt at this?

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I forgot about it completely actually.

10. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Ha. I was just thinking that I should poke my head into this again nd was going to go looking for the thread. Thanks for the reminder!

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Which is probably why you didn't bring it up in the hearthstone thread. Looks almost exactly like what I was envisioning gameplay wise. The aesthetics are unfortunate though.

12. SaintKiwi

By aesthetics do you mean art style? That is the strongest thing duelist has to offer.

Leadrz likes this.
  13. Sokolov

It is, but isn't? Because this is still very much Hearthstone with a bit of tactics in the sense that card draw and resource management is a big deal, whereas I thought you were wanting to move away from those aspects (at least once you are in-game), but I could be wrong.

But yea, I probably would have mentioned it if I remembered it existed :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  14. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I agree that the pixel art is unfortunate and disappointing given how strong the character/faction design and art direction is.

I also raged when they nerfed the abyssian general's art:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  15. Ragic

Well the idea was a tactical interface complex enough to matter but not so much that it overshadows the draw.
    You mentioned that adding a tactical layer opens up a can of worms (range vs melee, balance, etc), and I'm curious if you think deulyst satisfies enough in those areas.

16. Sokolov

I actually feel that in the case of Duelyst it almost detracts from the experience. The card designs are very combo-heavy and units are expected to die quickly. Thus the experience is basically Hearthstone and you are generally attempting to board wipe on your turn to minimize opposing actions on their turn. I feel like in this case the tactical stuff takes a backseat to the card draw aspects and other random elements (there are cards that have randomish effects) of the game.

In general, I feel that if you are going to go the Tactics route, you need a core design that facilitates units living longer and having at least a couple chances to act before they are destroyed. That said, proper placement of new units and such is a big factor in Duelyst (since they can die so easily), which gives it a Chess-like feel in that regard, but if that is the case then they should reduce the emphasis on card draw and randomness I think.

newsbuff likes this.
  17. Ragic

The semi automatic systems of endless space and kings and legends might be the solution. Once you drop a champ movement is automatic but you have opportunity to manipulate the champs once they've moved.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I love it when someone puts into words what I've been feeling but unable to articulate. Sok is a genius. too bad he wasn't designing DL.

The head designer/programmer for DL is a friend of mine from college. He gave me an opportunity to design AI for the game for a single-player/training mode. But the game rules kept changing so often (as it's still under development) so I gave up after building some of the core AI architecture/concept. I still think about revisiting it and might do so once they're closer to launch. It's all in coffeescript, so the syntax is easy. My AI design was fairly brute-force (using web-worker multi-threading) and I'm still wondering how many "branches" of AI analysis I can afford before I consumed too many resources...

19. Sokolov

That's pretty interesting! I didn't realize you were involved! :D

I also wonder if you have a better appreciation for Pox's AI - I know a lot of people complain about it, but given Pox's complexities, I am actually surprised it even plays as well as it does.

20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

You basically need a dedicated sole developer to have a robust AI. It's no simple task. That said, I exclusively play ranked multi-player, so I have had no exposure to Pox AI outside of the tutorials I was briefly forced to play during the DOG relaunch :)

The core game mechanics are quite similar between DL and Pox, though: grid-based movement/targeting, same game objective, spell cards, etc. Lots of overlaps between the basic AI logic in both games I'd imagine. But DL is like Baby's Pox (plus designed to have regular board-wipes, while Pox stalemate games can have massive, bloated armies on both sides), so the brute-force method I'm using is practical in the case of DL - would need serious optimization for Pox since there's vastly more possible AI moves each turn...or just an entirely different technique.

The first game I ever created was an AI programming game (for AutoHotkey) that had players submit AI scripts to control an army in a turn-based strategy game. I think AI is fun ^_^