New player looking for start up help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nanogasm, Mar 15, 2017.

1. nanogasm

nanogasm New Member

I'm a new player. I've got about $50-75 I'm willing to spend as a start up and hoping that will last me for a good stretch..?

From what I've read, Extended are the better purchase than Core for use and trade value?

Is a theme deck a wise purchase to establish a baseline deck of the faction I wish to go with? I'm thinking ST, so the permafrost deck.

Why are planar boxes so much cheaper than the others?

Thanks

2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

hey man welcome to the game. planar is more because it's the latest expansion and the only set of cards that you can't currently craft (AKA "forge"). I agree that extended is a better purchase, but if you're new it doesn't hurt to grab a few cores too since they're so cheap.

I think theme decks are good, but I'm not sure if you can trade/sacrifice the runes you get from it or not.

3. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Definitely don't spend money on core stuff. Single player has really generous rewards from the core sets so those runes are easily attainable through playing or trading. There will be a new release of highly sought after stuff in a month (or 2 or 3... ETA is hard to pin down but it will come out eventually) and you will definitely want to save money for that. The best advice is always to get the latest expansion and trade for the things you want, if you have more to spend you should save it for the next set's release day when you will get crazy offers for the newest stuff.

Etherielin likes this.
  4. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

Try to wait for the next content release. You'll get MUCH better stuff that way. There's no official release date, but it could be as soon as next week, when the lead dev Sokolov comes back from vacation.

If you post a thread asking for runes in the ST (or whatever faction) forums the kind veterans there will definitely give you some stuff to start playing with.

Tweek516, MaruXV and Etherielin like this.
  5. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Try playing single player for a month, try out the factions.

6. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Welcome :)
    Buying a few packs helps getting started, but its not a good investment atm. a new expansion is on the way, and if you can get those runes you could probably trade them easy for alot of older runes.
    Getting runes free is a great option atm though, doing the daily skirmish and the quests in launchpad gives you gold fast. Using websites like poxbox.net to trade for the runes you dont win or use the rune forge and forge the ones you need, saving gold until you have 32K and buy a box of 10 expansions pack is the way to go.
    I do a few skirmish games with a designated BG to win the game fast, 10 of these games are like a pack of basic cards, a good thing to do when being bored of losing or just few players online.

7. nanogasm

nanogasm New Member

Thanks all. Great info and very helpful. Perhaps I'll see you in game, though from a guy looking up the ladder from the first rung it might be a bit :)

8. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Set up a trade and I'll give you all my spares free.

Etherielin likes this.
  9. haroldkin

haroldkin I need me some PIE!

Have you done the game tutorial? Completing the first few sections will give you access to several theme decks
    that are at least viable and allow you to start earning gold and free runes. It will also give you a chance to confirm
    your choice of faction.

I can't speak on the theme decks, as I've always preferred buying packs and trading for what I want. Nonetheless,
    I wouldn't buy any of those theme decks without seeing exactly what's in them. Is this possible? The marketplace
    page just has a brief description but no details about the runes contained in the theme decks.

10. nanogasm

nanogasm New Member

11. nanogasm

nanogasm New Member

Yep, well part of it. I see there is a ladder to achieve the full walk-through. I'm working my way through it now. The rewards are indeed nice.

Thanks again all. Great community here.

NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  12. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Definitely do not do this if you're planning to end up playing PvP. Single player is okay to learn the basics of the game, but the ai is terrible and it will teach you bad habits. If you play too much single player before PvP it'll be one hell of a shock jumping into ranked.