New players -> Overview of SL themes

Discussion in 'Sundered Lands' started by Sealer0, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Overview

In this thread I will write a couple of words about Sundered Lands' most popular, competitive themes. This thread is intended for new players, or players who would like to play SL but are unsure where to start and what to get/how to build their theme. Apart from describing the themes and what they're based around, I will also attempt to show sample bgs and write a little about core spells or mechanics which these themes utilize.

About Sundered Lands

Sundered Lands is a relatively straightforward faction. Many of their themes and strategies are stat-based or have straightforward ways of amplifying champion statistics. Because of that, they can feel difficult to play, since they have very few mechanics which need a specific counter so it's difficult to cheese your way to victory, as well as only a few hidden spells with powerful mechanics. With that being said, playing SL trains proper positioning and gives great tools which help to come back and turn around games where you are at a disadvantage. In general most of SL themes rely on buildup, where you try to put as many units as you can on the board before either using a combination of spells/equipments to establish board control, or use draconic benediction/quickening to do the same.

Draksars

Draksars are an iconic SL race together with dragons, being the "face" of the faction for a long time. As a theme they have only flourished recently, but are already quite competitive and have a few interactions which make them differ from other themes. Draksar units have a good mix of powerful low range beaters and solid range units to supplement them. Draksar beaters are often bulky and well-priced and they offer a good mix of tankiness, damage and supportive abilities with cost in 65-75 nora range.

- Many draksars utilize
    punish which makes enemy units lose all conserved ap on attack. This coupled with indignation allows them to simultaneaously control the enemy as well as eliminate threats.

- Many low range draksars have
    violent which boosts their damage off of basic attacks. This means that draksars snowball extremely well if they can keep their beaters alive for extended periods of time.

- Access to various buffs from
    sermon, violent, commander, mutate and battlemaster/defender means that the longer the game goes and the more friendly units there are on the field, the more dangerous draksars become. Their extreme scaling means that stalling is often a preferable tactic.

- With few powerful 6 range options draksars can be outranged by many other themes, and consequentially kited and controlled with crowd control. They also have somewhat weaker dueling potential than other themes and can be vulnerable to rushes as well as font harrassment. They also don't have any powerful 7 speed option, making them rather slow in general.

Sample budget bg:

https://poxbase.com/deck/cmcWc3@cvKCvJCzZcjFcUCwxcxMc63ctbcqoS6LS4isas73s7us8_r37r2IrPe1he3Ae1O

One of my bgs (ap denial):

https://poxbase.com/deck/cmc3@cvKCvJct=CzZcjFcUcxMc63Czhcu0cwls6LS4isas7us8_sHs5jr37r2IrPe1lE3A

Key runes: Channeled Violence, Draconic Benediction OR Quickening, a source of cleanse (dragon god's staff or purge), 3 relics for font contesting, a source of sermon.

Note: Most of these units are not crucial and can be changed, but
    draksar high priest is miles above wyrmpriest.

Skeezicks

Skeezicks are one of the oldest themes in SL, and the theme is a great, cheap entry point for new SL players and new players in general. Compared to draksars they are less hardy, and their melee units are mostly restricted to being pure melee, but units such as skeezick canoneer and skeezick bolter provide great range and multiple forms of ap generation give them extremely strong powerturns. Their signature abillity, skeezick alliance, gives them a damage buff for fielding out 3 skeezicks, while decent options for warcry in skeezick general and half skeezick buff their damage even further. This makes skeezick a theme capable of extreme aggresion, but vulnerable to being on the receiving end of it.

- Many skeezicks have low
    hp pool which means positioning and anticipating enemy spells is extra important for them.

- Utilize great ap generation from
    March of the skeezick, warcry, benediction and action potion (skeezick alchemist) to make plays and turn around bad situations.

- Skeezicks don't have a strong detection option, so they are somewhat weaker to stealth than other themes. You can add a non skeezick and work with that or try to destealth with relics or spells.

Sample budget bg:

https://poxbase.com/deck/C4NCw5C4UC41C4Vc35c4Lc1dcx-ciJcauS6Ls6ws5hs84S26s7usYr37r2IrPe1le1O

One of my bgs:

https://poxbase.com/deck/c4NCw5c4UCpWC41c4Vc35c4LcfHc4Xcx_ciJcdXcqiS6Ls2bs5hs84S26s7ur37r2IrPe1le3w

Key runes: March of the skeezick, Cancel Magic, A cleanse source, Skeezick Canoneer, warcry units, Resilient Skeezick.

Myx/Arthropods

While there have been many changes to arthropods in order to make them a self-sufficient theme, the end result is that Arthropods do not function well without Myx in SL. Thus, I'll be refering to the theme as myx, despite adding a few arthropods into the bgs.
    Myx are an insectoid race based around the idea of a hive. In gameplay terms, they focus on producing a great number of strong summons - myx drones - and backing them up with strong support from Myx Matriarch and Myx Coordinator, as well as boasting some of the strongest ranged unit in the game: Myx Sandlion and Sand Spitter. They are one of the weaker themes in the early game, having to deploy their support units early to start amassing drones, but when set up on the board they can swarm it with cheap summons and are incredibly difficult to remove.

- Both Myx Matriarchs and Myx Coordinators are crucial in every myx bg.

- Many myx and arthropods have access to abilities which help them on sandy terrain.

- You currently need 3 units with brood bond to achieve maximum hatching speed on the field. This means that myx can be safely supplemented with arthropod units in bg building.

- Use your drones to block access to your more important units, and try to charge into enemy units if possible.

Sample budget bg:

https://poxbase.com/deck/cllcfFClAcaZcvLCaKCaJC7tC9pC70S8os6wsas2nS2Fs1HR2+r2IrPe1he1O

Wot I run:

https://poxbase.com/deck/cllcv2cfGc...fDc7tC70s6Ls8os6wsas8_s2Fs5js95R2+r2IrPe1le3Y

Beasts

Beasts have been in a strange spot for many years, having few units that tied the race together and few interactions between units, but with recent changes they managed to contest the spot for one of SL's top competitive themes. They are, unfortunately one of the most expensive themes to build since many of their best units are legendary and one of them ties the theme together. With that being said, once you obtain the necessary units they offer a slightly different playstyle with a lot of debuffs from their units, healing from dunes manticore and relocation via charge, tunnel and pounce. The wealth of different abilities and available healing means that they can change strategy between buildup, attrition and rush depending on draw and matchup.

- Beasts are almost completely melee centric, their only attacks from the distance are
    sand spray and non basic attacks such as howling attack and burning sandspout. Thankfully The Farm offers opportunistic assault to every beast for mere 30 nora.

- Their options for buffing stats are limited to
    Skeezick Herder's boost and Guardian of Erefat's Summon Guardian's Treasure and Skithmaw Hunter's commander.

- Many beast units rely on active abilities. This means distract is very dangerous to play against. Bringing a source of cleanse and relic removal is important.

- Without their few core units they have a hard time. Try to keep Guardian of Erefat and especially Dune's Manticore alive.

- Depending on bg, this theme can have a lot of interactions with sand. Dunewalker's Mantle can be a great addition to such battlegroup.

I'd advice against playing beasts without at least a single Guardian of Erefat.

Sample cheapish bg:
    https://poxbase.com/deck/c61ciFcfChGCx+cvTC7tc8LCoAC4+c1zS8osas2bs6Us7uS2Fs95rPr3@e1Fe3Ye1O

Wot I run:
    https://poxbase.com/deck/c61ciFcfChGCxtcx+CvTc7tCoAc4+ckNcvxS8osas7is6Us73s7us8_S2FrPr3@E1F

I'll do dragons later on tomorrow and talk about why sand isn't a theme afterwards.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Anima26, IMAGIRL, Netherzen and 2 others like this.
  2. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Great idea! I need to do the same thing for FS.

Anima26, fattyy2k and Sealer0 like this.
  3. Sealer0

Give feedback plox.

4. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

Need more sand......

Heart likes this.
  5. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Maybe include a line including their relative competitiveness? So a new player has an idea of which themes are probably best to look at if they are interested in top-level competitive play.

Sealer0 and fattyy2k like this.
  6. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

And include sand..... o_O

Heart likes this.
  7. Sealer0

Hard to judge, most great sl players left or are on vacation. But from what I've seen in higher ranks, draksars, myx, dragons and beasts seem to compete just fine, I haven't seen any skeezick player, but you never know when tiny starts playing them.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

this guy doing all the great posting

Sealer0 likes this.
  9. Sealer0

Added beasts.

10. yuore

yuore The King of Potatoes

good

11. ormen

ormen The King of Potatoes

You should highlight dragons more since they are pretty much SL's best theme at the moment

12. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Yeah need to get Dragons up on here for sure. And maybe just make an honorable mention at the bottom with regards to sub themes like sand, acid and equipment.

13. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

this is about 6 months old tbf guys

14. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Indeed thats why it could do with an update but im guessing sealer isnt about atm.