New Runes - Discussion

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by RedScarlet, Jan 20, 2015.

1. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

I haven't even gotten any of them, but its inevitable that this thread will pop up. might as well

Woffleet likes this.
  2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

A construct focused expansion seems to be split-focused more than anything else, since there aren't a lot of constructs in SP.

Artificer seems good on paper: aoe fire damage, spell protection, shatter source, and a range summon that either detonates when killed or forces the opposing champ to waste ap disengaging to avoid the aoe before killing it.

Ionization looks like a decent powerturn spell in lightning: 2 ap gen and blitz without the health loss of alacrity.

Moga Magnet will require play testing. It's flavor text suggest that the equipped champion attracts other champions, but the ability description sounds like it will allow the equipped champion to have itself pulled towards another champion.

With defensive turtle and damage shield: fire, Firecase will cost 53 nora and be able to move 7/8 spaces on its 2nd turn and be able to contest a font for at least 2 turns.

3. RedScarlet

Pretesting:
    Moga Magnet seems just okay on paprr. Its a subpar 4-space Grappling Hook if I'm not mistaken. Unless ofc you wanted to invest in double magnetize to move everyone around, but 60 nora aint worth it. For 30 nora, I'd rather have vicious Harpoon depending on the AP cost of "Magnetize"

Ionization seems dope.

Nora Storm looks like cheese with Nora Seep, but random damage on a random font does not guarantee a 2 or 4 rune spots in my BG lol

4. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

Speckled Fesh seemed kind of random but then I remembered we have access to recycle with calcified lurker (who also happens to be a construct). Everything looks interesting so far.

5. RedScarlet

Whats the use of Recycle (via calc lurker), w Speckled fesh? I dont get it, mind xplainin?

6. SaintKiwi

It's
    Next to useless. I just read the ability its Nora vitality. I thought it was something else. Speckled Fesh has great synergy with firm mindcaller though. I am quite disappointed with the new SP runes after playing with all of them.

7. SaintKiwi

My meta deck is completely the same except for Kanen scavenger being replaced by a 63 Nora sonic elemental. I use him to hug range units.

8. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Ionization is fun, right? :(

9. Raikan

Having played with these runes, and having compared them to what other factions got, I'm a bit confused and disappointed about the SP runes (even though overall I really liked Ronin). The expansion feels like most of the SP runes were targeted at IS/SP Construct-Splits or building a new Cyclops-Constructs theme within SP, which is now partially fleshed out, but remains incomplete. A few thoughts on the abilities:

Reclaim Materials seems a bit expensive. Right now, it costs the same as Nora Miner 1, but it's backloaded and less reliable. Even in Constructs, I suspect most of us would choose Nora Miner 1. It's also an odd ability because it is on-death. Constructs rely on build up champions (which aren't supposed to die) or summons (which SP doesn't really have access to). My suggestion is to have Reclaim Materials award nora whenever a Construct or Relic is destroyed (which helps it work with SP) or to revise Warsmith (see below) to give SP access to more construct summons.

Cyclops Warsmith: He's a 5 speed, boost/build it tough unit. It's highly unlikely he'll be on the front lines and ever use block. He'd be better at what he does (and slightly cheaper) if block was removed and Boost 2 ==> Boost 3. Another alternative would be to give him some type of Construct summon (warcart or overcharged golem w/ 50% hp?) which would synergize with Reclaim materials. I'd really like to see him building warcarts that other, slower Cyclops could use to increase their speed and gap closing abilities, but that would probably require radical redesign.

Speckled Fesh: I don't know what to say about his mish-mosh of abilities. Impenetrable (to protect a 0 def/32 hp unit); Nora Vitality (to synergize with what nora gen); devourable (with a 2:1 nora:hp ratio); dodge; portal; and drudgery. He's very strange. I assume the idea was to allow him to build up his HP over time, and then be used as a healer. What about keying his health gain off champion deploys (i.e. gain 5ish hp per friendly champion deployed); allowing the devouring champion to take only as much health as he/she needs, with the devoured champion being sacrificed if it doesn't have enough health; and then stripping off a lot of these ancillary abilities and reducing his range to make him more price competitive and a cheap, early game font runner.

Edit: Did Goliath Fesh gain Earthbound without the corresponding 5 nora decrease?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Woffleet likes this.
  10. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Impenetrable is to keep the enemy from eating him

SaintKiwi likes this.
  11. Raikan

That makes sense. I was confusing devourable with eatable, although that raises the question: why doesn't he just have eatable.

12. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Lol we would get Nora Storm :p

13. RedScarlet

Speckled fesh is awkward. Tbh I was expecting something like a bomb-fesh, with Death Nova: Acid/wtvr, and Death Spawn carrionling.

Death bene worm racial with Implant was imo... The right way to go. This... i dont really understand

Artificier is alrdy balanced imo. Its just that he's overshadowed by how efficient Executioner/Lonx Marauder/Imp/Shadowrake is. Nora genning while boosting a racial, and having a non basic attack that summons is dope. Full on synergy in a single champ. Its just that the others are crazy good

14. Querthose

Querthose The King of Potatoes

Yeah the runes are a little...weird this release. Though I do like to see them building the IS/SP combo we saw in metallic slag. Ultimately though, Artificer is going to see a lot of play. I'm not so sure about the rest.

15. SaintKiwi

Ive been running both spells. I really of love both of them. They are sexy when used with lightning rod.

16. Grandpa69

Grandpa69 The King of Potatoes

No one worth running in meta imo / maybe the artificer for weeken spell but idk... Sp get only nerf

17. PurpleTop

Nice then you can collect the globes from nora storm yourself and redirect the damage. That's probably the only way to use it.... I wouldn't call it worth if all the nora collected went to the enemy

18. PurpleTop

I honestly like the direction they are taking with the cyclops, and like someone else said the SP/IS combo. Clopsdorf ftw

Woffleet likes this.
  19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's SP. It should be weird. I was honestly bored of beater Voils in SP :D

soulmilk likes this.
  20. Querthose

Querthose The King of Potatoes

Agreed on that front. Players sometimes forget that you can only do so much in any given release and often make strange assumptions that if they don't see a theme touched in some way with a new rune, it's somehow fallen by the wayside. Or if they see a theme worked on, they'll likewise assume that there are no new directions for the faction coming up. Obviously that's far from the case.