newbie treefolk help

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by fattyy2k, Jul 13, 2014.

1. fattyy2k

fattyy2k I need me some PIE!

Although i have been around since this game was released, i have only recently started playing again. I am quite ecclectic and have bgs in sl, fw, and ud. I do want a protectorate bg and i like the idea of treefolk. How is that theme atm? Are they runnable post revamp? What runes are a must?

2. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Yes, trees are quite good right now. Nearly all are runnable.

I would start by picking up all of the commons and uncommons:
    Treecaller, Deadwood, Lifegiver, Grappler, Defender, Tanglefoot, and Sapling

Then get Greenhouses and Willowinds to provide the necessary stat boosting. Follow with Dryads and Launchers.

At this point you have to start considering how much you are willing to invest in the theme.
    Patriarchs, Oakthumpers, and K'thun are currently all well worth including. Try for one of each, then assess the benefits of doubles.
    Spikewood is down and out at the moment and Fireoak is somewhat iffy. I wouldn't strain myself to chase down either if cost is an issue.
    An Elven Strategist is great for additional stat boosting and to move your Lumbering trees.

For support, you want Lash Down (1-2), Treefolk's Blessing (1-2), Overgrowth (1), and Pride of K'thir.
    Thorn Collection, Catharsis Bloom, and Horn of Order are always welcome.
    Consider Light as a Feather or Butterfly Wings since the options for champ based anti-lumbering have been greatly reduced.

Because of the revamp and my general lack of time, the guide linked below is a bit messy and not everything is still applicable, but it still might be worth a glance.

Also, I try to keep extra copies of some of the lower rarity treefolk and related runes, so let me know if you need a hand getting something.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  3. fattyy2k

4. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Did some price checking and found a close to equal exchange with in-stock runes. Check your inbox. :)

5. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

As far as the deck goes, I would probably cull 1 Defender, 1 Tanglefoot, and 1 Sapling for the new additions.
    You can decide which of those three (or other champs) you want more or less of and adjust as you go.

6. fattyy2k

Ok cool thanx. Any tip/tricks for playing them

7. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Off the top of my head:
    Stack boosts for maximum damage and defense.
    Deploy units before attacking with Surge champs.
    Deploy Boost champs before attacking with champs just outside the deployment zone.
    Choose where to Take Root and drop Greenhouses wisely.
    Greenhouse Saplings are real. You can use it as a first deploy if necessary. With 55 nora, you can use it to capture a font that you are 2 spaces away from.
    Saplings are expendable. Root them in font zones, to do more damage, or wherever they will be most annoying to your opponent.
    Remember the champs excel because they compliment each other. Don't spread too thin.
    Anti-lumbering that isn't free should only be dropped when it will result in a kill. Otherwise the unit can be disabled or avoided and you've wasted nora.
    Fire can be quite nasty. Get a Willowind out when you see or suspect fire damage coming.

There is more in my guide, but it is and will remain pretty mangled till the revamp dust settles. Even some of the stuff I've updated in the past weeks is outdated already. :D

8. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

9. fattyy2k

So i dont have willow winds (no one has them for sale). How big of a deal are they?

10. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

Not nearly as big as they used to be, but they do negate Fire Vulnerability which can help in unfavorable matchups.
    You'll only notice she's missing when a strategically placed Fire Blast or Fire Bomb lands, but you could just as easily be struck by one before she's drawn.
    However, she is magic damage and another Boost champ never hurts. I can do an equal swap for a spare if you need one.

11. Daregamer

Daregamer Member

i really want to make a Treefolk deck, but in poxbox everything is bought out and nobody is trading em :c

12. Gorebucket

Gorebucket Forum Royalty

PoxBox has Oakthumpers and Fireoaks at the moment if you're looking to pick those up.

Deadwood Strider, Grappler, Lifegiver, Tanglefoot, Treecaller, Oaken Defenders, and Saplings too.

I can help you get a copy of some of the core Rares if you have the PB points for them.

ALSO: Don't forget that if you have or can generate shards, ALL of the champs can be obtained in the Rune Forge. :D

13. fattyy2k

i missed the oakenthumpers. someone else got to them first. and i dont have massive ammounts of spare runes for shards tho i can see how much i can come up with

14. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

If I could help, I have a Launcher, 2 lifegiver, 4 tanglefoot, 3 willowwind, and an oaken defender. Will take just about anything for them. Ideally some IS :)

15. wout slaats

wout slaats The King of Potatoes

i wanted to comment that while not that great some plants can get really strong and most boosts and surges only mention plants.
    so if you dont have a problem going out of theme you could add the dragonbark protector, thirion or even the skyshear pegasus.
    then there are two runes i didn't really see here are the wood elemental and the wood marshal druid.
    admitted the wood elemental has a ability you need to watch(transplant) but he is still a powerhouse in most of my games.
    also i dont really run tanglefoot since he was nerfed to never attack at 1 ap and he only has 5 speed

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  16. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

17. Anaarkoon

Anaarkoon Member

What champs do you guys use for detection and shatter (other than Tanglefoot) in a treefolk bg?

18. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

Tanglefoot is the Shatter option I use. Seeker of the Source is a Detection option in a Devotees tree deck. Ambling Frond has Shatter, but I don't use him. Other than that, we'll have to wait for the true experts to respond.

19. Celestus

Celestus The King of Potatoes

I'd include a falconer right now as my detect, either as forest walker for stat boosts on trees or domain veg for his own little boost. He's really REALLY worth it atm.