Non-Client Non-Balance Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So this is just an open discussion on what you might like to see?

With the programmers busy dealing with the client fixes, I am considering taking some of my time to work on some "random" stuff.

To be clear, the idea here is think about large scale, non-balance stuff. This is not to say that what gets done won't care about balance, but rather than balancing something existing is not the main goal of this.

Rather, the idea is to address some class of abilities, or class of effects, or something else to shake things up. The goal should be, "What would be interesting?" more so than "What should we fix?"

Examples:
    1. All new faction bonuses
    2. All new font bonuses (could be combined with 1)
    3. Revamped Avatar abilities
    4. New theme abilities for theme without any
    5. Rework Charge abilities (this would most likely involve tying charge generation to the specific ability that uses it)
    6. Add more racial/theme based triggers to abilities or non-champion runes
    What is not possible:
    1. New/Updated Maps (as that requires client work, though I would love to continue working on maps)
    2. Anything too dramatically different than existing (which would require programmer support to pull off)
    3. New Font Types (as much as I want to do this kind of thing)
    Note: This is not a promise or a preview.

2. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

FS font water 2k17

Also Lemsu not a massive pile of hot garbage 2k17

guokamoli54 likes this.
  3. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Short of "another" barbarian racial... how about adding a mini-equipment module to be barbs. (this synergizes slightly with paladins which makes sense anyway)

1) Splash provision:eek:ffense/utility (though utility is meh) ..not defense cuz barb things.

2) Add barbarian clauses to some IS equips. ie. Wildeye bracers, sunder axe, blade of valdac?, mail of "barbs" :p, Visage of Ironfist. For example Sunder Axe : if equipped on barb... gains aggressive or some wonky ass ability that feels fun. Holy blade : if equipped on barbarian, also gains class paladin like he's annointed or some Bane Shift by holding it.

3) Rework Pride of sarng. Rework Warchief inaug.

4) Add barb clause to spells. Some examples...strength of stone, Valiant sacrifice, last stand , might of ironfist, Instill panic.

4. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

Make benefits for people who are in guilds. Encourage guild competitiveness. You can start by bringing rankings back and also host official tournaments. Prizes...etc. Oh and blue names would be nice @Karmavore

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Alakhami, super71, Etherielin and 3 others like this.
  5. Skeezick

Skeezick Forum Royalty

inb4 FW bonus

6. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure if this would be possible without coding time, but I believe the generic non-faction specific avatars should have some very basic abilities and, in addition, stats that are more on par with purchased Avatars. Maybe get rid of Avatar levels?

Also, Charge abilities are weird and I support changing them.

7. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

more gundam stitched!
    the stitched merge mechanic was really cool but was left unexplored.
    maybe you could also bring bestow into stitched in some way.
    as it would also be nice and make sense since they patch up together the parts of the enemy and each other during battle.
    and another version of brain eater thats racial for stitched except it'd require a deconstructor stitched to land the last hit and the upgrades would go only to the regular non deconstructing stitched instead.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Seeming Skeezick is waiting for it, I'll go ahead and say it. FW bonus please, so it's not useless half the time.

9. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Can avatar levels be axed or can shrines be removed outright outside of PvE?

10. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Would like to see limited season/rank, for 2-3 months seasons/cycles. but guess that would require some programming,
    - FF factions only
    - Limited nora generation
    - No factions bonuses
    - Winter is here, all maps are frozen
    - Factions war, this season its SL vs IS, next is FW vs UD, next SP vs FS...
    - Assaults (variant of above, where SL attacks IS and all maps are rock/earth, or IS attacks SL vs sandmaps...) and attacker starts with avatar and no shrine, while defender has all runes rewealed.

11. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I'm curious as to what faction wars are. Does that mean people can only play either SL or IS for example during the whole season?

12. Sokolov

Those aren't things I can do, unfortunately. I can design them but they need programmer time.

13. Sokolov

Not easily, and would require a bunch of client work in terms of removing the tokens, not showing levels, XP bar, etc.

I could theoretically make every level the same stats, but then that still leaves Avatar Tokens as a lie which does nothing.

At this point, by removing leveling abilities, I think I have done almost as much as I can with Avatars without a larger overhaul.

Not really, since Shrines/Avatars are tied directly to win condition. It'd require a fairly heavy re-factor.

14. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Hm. That sucks then. For clarification, we're talking about removing vanilla shrines and not removing shrines/avatars from the game, yeah?

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Removes the clauses "Summoned" and "Sacrifice" from the game, redesign everything else around their absence. Would that require prog support?

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  16. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Summoned is just a condition that make stuff 0 nora like clone, no? It would be probably doable. But it would also not be worth the hassle because it breaks so many things to the point you'd need to review every source of non runedock champs.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It has a lot more than that. It also involves font contesting and serves as a tag for tons of different triggers and conditions.

If Sok is looking for ambitious design problems, summons would be THE one.

18. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

But if it's a condition tag, then it should be easily removed is what I'm getting at. Unless it's just a notification tag like Opposing Viewpoints or Passive, which were purely to show players stuff, then it's something that easily comes on and off. I haven't looked at the pox code but I think it's just something they add to champions once they're instanced into the game.

Since what you're suggesting is removing those tags altogether, I think it's definitely doable albeit time consuming to track down every summoned unit instance. Whether it's a good or bad thing is a different discussion based on its execution.

edit:

The reason I think it would be easy to just take summon off is based on the old times around DoW, back when Soulharvest was siphoning nora off of summons. Also, if you click on a summoned unit before it dies, you can get a look at its original cost once it's dead(because dead units don't have conditions so it reverts back to its original). So I think summons are basically instances of champs with some tag that sets their cost to 0, doesn't let them contests and just comes bundled with certain other rules.

19. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

1- Remove the repeated "Regen" ranks in most SL champs.. i remember posting the idea of switching the font bonus for the FF bonus so fonts give the greater dragon scale and the FF gives ranks of regen by the ammount of max HP (like a rank of regen for every 17HP or somehthing like that), if i remember correcly for some reason people didnt like the idea of switching raw power (current bonus) for the versatility and options this change would bring to the faction if implemented and all the regen upgrades changed for somehting else..
    The bonus could be something that alternates (goes off and on every X turns), or it could stack the longer a champ is in play (all this could be justified in lore by the ammount of radiation the champs absorb while in Valdaci territory...) reason be to tap it if too good and it would kinda make it clearer that SL is a lategame faction.
    *Also the creation of an AoE ability/spell that heals 3hp for every rank of regen in affected champs "Instant Regeneration" or something like that.

2- Spread that ability that refills "ammunition" when picking a nora globe.

3- Fixing "Charge" abilities is also a good idea. And all the spells, relics and equips that work around that so its not half done.

4- You made a thread long ago for champs that lacked 2 or more upgrades, i posted a list there of the many millions of tortuns that were missing even 4 upgrades.. this could be your chance of filling the rest of those. Maybe even fix Tortuns Trade to not be boring.
    *Also the creation of "Command: Turtle" ability that forces to turtle to affected champs with the "Turtle" ability even if its in CD.

20. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Interesting for Shrines is they could spend 5 health for an effect. Example ST shrine spends 5 health and the next enemy champ deployed is slowed or the controlled fonts become active with snow impeding 2.

Summons and illusions should not have a spell presence which should stop them from deploying relics and equips.