Non-Client Non-Balance Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 16, 2017.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Naw, Kalasle is pretty spot on, the suggestion is to shift the nora generation weight toward the shrine while making the font bonus more powerful. Nothing specific is toward FW and of course the suggestion is just rough.

I do admit that the forced transfiguration is a bad idea... but it helps stimulate discussion ^_^.

Also I'm all in support for Kalasle suggestion on tackling sacrifice/summons.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So let's talking about Summoned and Sacrificed then.

There's obviously a lot of meat to unpack, but maybe if interested parties could give their vision of these things I can get a better handle on what is being asked for.

I have my own ideas, of course.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Here's my idea:

Summoned as a tag no longer exists. All champions would be fully functional, fully-upgraded real champions within the play space of the board. Any champion can contest or even capture fonts, has a spell presence, and counts for on-death triggers. Depending on the specifics of interactions, this might be a big hassle and prove overly restrictive on some present rune designs. In that event, it might be worth, rather than erasing the Summoned tag, instead collapsing it into the Clone tag and making Clone show up in all the places that summoned currently does. In either case, the root idea would be the same: remove all the on-board mechanical restrictions related to summoned champs, and likewise remove all mechanics that interact with the tag. Clone would become a purely exclusionary tag. All Summons, sources of summons, and abilities that interact with the real/summon dichotomy are redesigned with the new conditions in mind. That last part would be a BIG job.

Sacrifice, likewise, would disappear. I think this would be a much smaller job, and could serve as a test-case to see how much work it might take to remove summons. Basically, all clauses that reference "Sacrifice" get removed, all sources of champion destruction function exactly the same, and all on-death effects always trigger. The big thing to note here would be second-life champs -- I think the solution there would be addressing individual rune designs, potentially with things like Warding, rather than adding some "no voluntary destruction" clause.

If either of these sound like appealing ideas, I can start trawling rune lists for all references to either.

4. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

My own playstyle would definitely benefit from this, so I support it but I think that font generation -> 10 would have a lot more impact. I know that some people do keep track of their opponent's nora reserves, it's a higher-level skill that would help my game but I simply CBA. I am sure that the overwhelming majority of players are in the same boat, and I think that having a base generation rate that is multiples of 10 would make that type of skill more accessible to the casual player.

5. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

i hate overload but unholy tomb,tome of hate,and chopping blocks is all sorts of cancer.
    so until we get better ways to manage them things like overload should stay. ( and global damage in general )
    and by better ways i mean every faction having atleast 10 different ways to deal with them.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    super71 likes this.
  6. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

You do realize clones can contest fonts right? Or are you actually asking for for champs from wake the dead, corpse a pult, bone prison, overgrowth etc, to be able to to contest?

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Do you seriously think I don't know how this game works?

Etherielin and NevrGonaGivUup like this.
  8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Who even are you?

9. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

He's my friend, he keeps me in line.

10. xaznsoulx

Time to see the mods throw down :eek:

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm just being cheeky, we aren't going to fight.

12. xaznsoulx

Was waiting for you to chuck your sword at the emperor yelling "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?"

13. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

@Sokolov nice idea sok, here's a couple things i think would be good changes/additions:

1. Illusions cannot be recognized by abilites. you have to guess which is true one. But they can't drop relics.

2. When you choose the avatar for a split bg, you are also choosing which half bonus you will have. So going KF/ST with a ST avatar only gives you +5hp.

3. Put in a draft mode tournament/arena that would be a good training field for new players and a nice way to keep things fresh for older players.

Fentum likes this.
  14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

themacca isn't a mod.

15. yobanchi

Could reanimation get a look at as well since it is related to eternal and has a lot of baggage tied with on death effects that have been pieced together.

My initial thought would be to tackle sacrifice/reanimate/eternal and their interaction with on death effects as that seems like the smaller of the two.

Summons/Clones is a stickier wicket but I understand that it would make things a lot easier without all these special unit states. I'd actually lump illusions into that mix as well as there are currently 4 types of champion units: Real/Clones/Summons/Illusions.

Real would obviously remain and is noted by have >0 nora cost, spell presence, and can lay relics/contest fonts/capture fonts.

Summons/Clones could be consolidated/tag removed and just be real champions but with a 0 nora cost.
    *note* It could be interesting to have spell presence based off of champion nora cost. One potential issue that may return is instant spell presence generation allowing for OTK combos.

Illusions could essentially be either a couple of things:
    1) Current form but remove ability to drop relics. Still leaves potential buggy interactions and general frustration with too many illusion generation but it does have flavor value. This would mean there would remain two types of champs = real/illusions which does make sense. It would still require 'real' or non-illusion clauses though.

2) Illusion tag is also removed and is a real champion but Illusions becomes a single champion with race Illusion. Everything that summons an illusion would summon the same champion and that champion would have to be crafted to not mesh well with spells or most abilities. It would still leave possible synergies with things like 'surge: illusion' or 'devour: illusion' but the package would need to be designed with the intent that they would be a large number of them. This seems like the most drastic change and probably not palatable.

16. Vote Kanye 2020

Okay, so you are asking for the updated summons to be able to contest. That sounds, ''interesting''.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Capture fonts, actually. And yeah, it would be a big ol' change and would mean paying some attention to non-rune dock sources of champs -- that's a lot of why I said it would be a big job, in addition to a big change.

Etherielin and Vote Kanye 2020 like this.
  18. Vote Kanye 2020

Correct me if im wrong, but didn't a long time ago summons could contest fonts, but it was deemed stupid and so it was changed, or was that spell presence or something else? (Pretty sure it was before my time so I may be spouting nonsense)

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Nah, summons used to be able to contest fonts, as could Illusions -- you're remembering right. I don't remember if they had spell presence or not, but they were generally closer to real champions than they are now, leaving aside the non-existence of anything that specifically called out the Summoned tag like we have now.

20. yobanchi

That is correct, summons could contest but couldn't capture fonts. I remember contesting with dark rising, summon iceblock, and that snake egg spell. That was one of the benefits of having a DMZ font bonus back in the day (didn't work with dark rising though).

I'm not sure why it changed but I think people were getting too frustrated with how easy it was to contest a font from spell presence. If I remember correctly relics use to have spell presence so you could chain summon relic drop to reach with spell presence.