Opinions on voil?

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by TheMr.Toast, Apr 1, 2014.

1. TheMr.Toast

TheMr.Toast The King of Potatoes

thinking of going voil but want to know if their any good, opinions please?

2. TheMr.Toast

also opinions on the winged terror theme deck would be great :)

3. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I love Voils, they're a lot of fun to play. The Winged Terror theme deck isn't all that great, but it does come with some key runes like Voil Infernal, Sceian, and Tribal Post. It's a good jumping point.

I have a Voil guide on this forum, and there's another thread or two based on discussing Voils. Take a look at those.

4. TheMr.Toast

great thanks i think ill get the deck to get me the necessities. And ive seen your thread, great job on that.

5. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Glad to hear it! If you need anything else to fill out a deck, you can try looking on Poxbox, or in the Rune Pool.

6. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

Voil are amazing. They are on the more expensive end of SP themes, up there with Lightning, but they have *amazing* synergy -- not just with each other, but with SP in general.

Pros:
    +Flying and high agility are explosive together. Voil are fast and they soar right over all obstacles and chasms. Also, Unstable Tiger's Eye in a font is better than you think it is.
    +Sonar as a racial is amazing, but then throw in the plethora of other anti-range... Elusive, Paralytic Feedback, Dodge... you can really intimidate particular themes and even factions (KF cries in the corner).
    +Voil have skillz... solid access to pretty much everything but stealth. You name it, they have it -- often on multiple units. A decent Voil BG can be well prepared to combat literally anything your opponent plays.
    +Accessibility is wonderful. Save for some obvious exceptions like Shallaxy and the Voil Courier, Voil aren't that hard to get, especially now that you can forge any old-ish rune for "free." Some themes rely very heavily on Legends and Limiteds. Not Voil.

Con:
    -Average nora cost of champions is a tad high (but still cheaper than Lightning or UD Bleed, etc.)
    -Vulnerability to sonic (*eek!*)
    -Typically a tad on the squishy side

Seriously, I really can't pin down any other flaws, and none that are solid turn-offs (for me, anyway).

Winged Terror isn't amazing, but like Paper Skull said: it gives you a Voil Infernal, which is the only healer Voil you have access to, as well as being a Detector.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

They clump together a lot. Also, their ranged champions have shorter range than a lot of other factions (2-4 for bomber/screechers, 3-5 for infernals and skyhowlers). That's to help them benefit from sceian's warcry. But it also means they are more vulnerable to aoe spells. W/o a ghern general, and w/o weaken spells on overmind or another viable champ (still don't consider ritual cultist viable w/ weaken spells), you've got to watch your position and make sure you manage your font bonus well.

8. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

they WERE very good. Now, they're decent, and can be played in the meta, but decent. so, so decent, like a 7.5-8.0. At least that's what I think.
    Once they snowballed, ofc they're good. But they used to fare way better than now against most meta decks.

If I can give a some explanations about Voils... it'd be

1) SLOW. and relies so so so so much on Infernal-draws. Most are 6-7 speed, with Lifestealer as the only exception. Even then, your opponent would vomit champs that moves 8-9 spaces away in their first turn. (while we have to wait until that Infernal sees play)

2) Since now we're slow, we're forced to commit to snowballing and crutching. against UD, this would mean bypassing Maddening Echoes is your only chance to win.

3) EXPENSIVE. Champs are efficient, but most are expensive: Conqueror, Stormflyer, Infernal are all on the 80++ sides. Voil Guard (rarely used), Jester, Transporter (rarely used) are all super-efficient. While the usual tanks, and meta voils are on the 80-Nora sides.

4) DEFLECT is kinda key to countering rush and preparing yourself, or if you're stuck on a crutchfight. Change your frontliners here and there until Deflect CD is off, heal, heal, heal. Problem is, as of now, there are a LOT of cheap efficient champs, so deflect isn't really a major thing anymore.

They're also good in crutching in formation, range the heck out of ur opp using Sorcerer/Infernal/Bombs, while keep healing via Transfer Life and live through Sonar 2-3. When the time is right, and you calculated enough, powerturn your opponent via lotsa stuff. The hard part is that most factions now have 5-7 RNG or just a way to harass us from the other side of the globe while we're stuck on the marketed 3-5 RNG.

Snowball your way with Infernal, Imperialist, Voil King's Crypt, and Sorcerer (I know, I actually use this guy as a 1-of)

Wings of Steel as a counter to windstriker
    Peaks tactics for +20 dmg potential
    Alacrity for extra AP to proc that Sciean's warcry

The only problematic things that I found after using voils for so many years:
    You need to snowball properly, but most champs are 80++
    Very vulnerable to font-gibbing in the first 10 turns as they rely on each other for both damage & survival
    Compare and contrast the synergy of Lonx vs Voils, we have to invest in like 150% more nora than them. Although Voil offers a lot more versatility.

9. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

RedScarlet, is 6 SPD really that slow when all of your units have Flight? For me, I've always considered Flight a bigger boon than +1 SPD (if I had to choose between the two, I mean). I get what you're saying (AP is for more than movement!), but with very few exceptions (Fae, of note), you don't see many Flying themes with oodles of 7-SPD units.

Granted, I played very little in 2013, and I have played maybe 20 matches this year (over the past weeks). So, I am definitely not up to speed, so to speak. It sounds like you're more in the loop on Voil.

I played a few Voil matches yesterday and was decimated by Lonx, incidentally. The one thing I took away from my games: Voil are hard to snowball!!

Anyway, your assessment is pretty awesome. Thanks for your insight.