Paladin Change Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Markoth, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Discuss. Most of these focus more on bringing the Dwarf side of Paladins up to snuff and provide them a slightly different playstyle than their Barbarian counterparts. If you have any questions regarding my reasoning feel free to ask.

Abilities:

Death Sentance - This champion makes an attack against an opposing champion within 4 spaces, at 50% damage. If the attack is successful, all negative conditions are removed from that champion and it loses 5 HP for each condition removed.

Inquisition - Cost to 6 from 8

Sermon - Works on Race and Class. Cardinal would be usable in Paladins again.

Champions:
    Ironfist Inquisitor / Isran - @Tarth and I have been asking for this for a very long time. The sword in her artwork even has Sword Breaker teeth. >.>
    • Sword Breaker to base.

Angel of Mercy - Bringin it back.
    • Improve Range added to U1.

Archangel of Al'Mara - This one goes out to you @Baskitkase
    • Aerial Supremacy to Base.
    • Charged Attack to Base.
    • Abuse Charged removed from Base
    • U1: Blessed (Default), Purified, Charged Heal
    • U2: Attack Charged 1 (Default), Abuse Charge 2, Race Charged

Charger Knight - Brings the cost into line a bit as well as moving him back towards being an Initiator.
    • Damage to 12 from 10
    • Speed to 6 from 7

Bastion the Avenger - Obvious
    • Class to Warrior from Warrior, Paladin

Brubaker Brothers - Really just moves things around and pushes costs into alignment as well as making them not so helpless when the other is dead or not deployed.
    • Speed to 6 from 5
    • HP to 51 from 56
    • Blessed removed from Base
    • Sibling to base from U1
    • Brubaker Resistance - Cost to 6 from 8
    • Brubaker Bond - Cost to 6 from 10. (Now gives Unstoppable and Charge 3 when within 6 (From 4) spaces from each other)
    • U1 changed to Carouse, Block 1 (From 2) (Default), Blessed
    • U2 changed to Opportunistic Assault (Default), Power Attack 3, Hold the Line

Ironfist Minister - Now with less sandbag.
    • Annex removed from Base

Ironfist Paladin - Hopefully would let him see some play and would give him a support role similar to Dwarven Handler.
    • Speed to 6 from 5
    • Defense to 2 from 3
    • Blessed added to Base
    • Lay Hands moved from Base to U1
    • U2 changed to Aid Defense, Righteous Shield, Regal Presence

Ironfist Warsaint - The original tank healer.
    • U2 changed to Defensive Stance 1-3
    Northern Cross Fanatic - Would give Paladins/Inquisition a cool tank. (Co-op with @Anotherblackman )
    • Class to Paladin, Brute from Paladin (Brutes are fist fighters)
    • Damage to 10 from 12
    • Impatient removed from Base
    • Unleash added to Base
    • U2 changed to Evasive 2, Evasive 3, Scrapper

Spells:
    Burning Crusade - May finally see some play.
    • Now gives Mark of Al'Mara instead of Brand

Divinity's Touch - Prob not necessary but was curious about what people would think.
    • Does not cause Awestruck to Priests or Paladins?

Smite Enemy - Ta-Da!
    • Cost 40 - Target champion takes 10 fire damage and becomes Branded for 4 turns. If it is already branded it takes 15 damage instead.

Spell Ward - Now our expensive runes dont have to worry about getting drowned all the time. Note that this would effect opposing runes too.
    • Cost 40 - All champions in play gain Shielded for 8 turns.

Equipment:
    Ethereal Hammer
    • Cost 25 from 20
    • Now gives Euans Hammer

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    Gnomes and doubtofbuddha like this.
  2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

• The meta atm is very single target spell reliant. This would probably either need to be AOE or 6 turns also this only costs 5 nora more than shield (st spell)

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It also effects both players so the IS player couldnt use Hammer Strike etc.

4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

oh okay i overlooked that. probably balanced then

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Alternatively it could give Warding to everything to also block the players from using self targeting spells. It also goes better with the name.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'm still mad about AoA

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Would those changes be acceptable?

8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Comments in red

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Good stuff. Personally I kind of like having access to spot Fire Aura for dealing with things like Perserverance etc. but would be fine with reqorking Burning entirely. Good call on Angels for Divs. I priced Smite based on Hammer Strike figuring that it had the same kill potential (10+2 per attack) and substituting Stun for Alt damage and potential for a 15 damage finisher. My problem with making Spell Ward that flexible is I think it would be meta in any deck but Barbarians and even then viable.

10. Thbigchief

- Yeah I hear you on perseverance counter which is not as prevalent these days but always good to have something in the bag. Even grant: flame aura would be better imo, so the ability could be better utilized on a support champ.

- I see where your coming from on Smite, but as you said... It's fighting for a spot from hammer strike so I think it might need to fill a different role because hammer is staple-town.

- As for spell ward it would basically function like a wonky "Confusion". They just can't target champs with spells...but can still cast non-target spells. I'm not sure I would run it unless using a super-champ bg and even then it just buys you 4 rounds.

11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

How do you think people would react if Smite dealt double damage to branded enemies? As a comparison Bane Blast is AoE2 but deals 24 damage to stunned and paralyzed. Branded is easier to apply though not as prevalent and changing pretty quick.

12. Thbigchief

- That's an option, to soften the power marginally you can make it consume the "branded" debuff on trigger to add the extra damage.

13. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Death sentence is confusing to me. Is it a ranged attack? Also how may abilities have to clense for this to be impactful? 5 dmg per debuf removed and 50% damage doesn't seem like enough. I'd rather it was removed than have to pay the nora for such a low damage ability.

Inquisition is to much at 6 nora IMO.

Inquisitor / Ishran - swordbreaker meh is meh.

Arch angel changes look good.

Charger knight - What will the cost go to with those changes? I'd like to see him lose speed and gain defense instead of damage. I feel he dies to easily as an initiator now.

Bastion - why lose paladin? I look at the rune and the sprite and I see a giant angel with an ax. IMO he is closer to a paladin than a warrior. He doest pay for the dual class. Stop asking to restrict the rune because it's upsetting you sense of aesthetics. That isn't a good enough reason to nerf a rune.

B Bros look better.

Spell ward wouldn't see any play with that design.

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Paladins are holy knights. When is the last time you saw a loincloth wearing, axe wielding paladin?

By your reasoning since class/race aren't paid for, everything in IS should be race Angel/Barbarian/Dwarf with a class of Brute/Paladin/Priest.

Would it be so horrible that you couldn't use all three heroes in the same theme BG?

15. Dresnar20365988

Are you serious? Did you even read my post?

Bastion has ANGEL WINGS!!!!!!!! That makes him more paladin than warrior.

By your reasoning angel of protection should be warrior class instead of paladin.

Please read before posting nonsense.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Yes, I did read the full post.

So anything with angel wings should be a paladin? Angel of Nourishment I would agree with. It has healing abilities that fit with the idea of a paladin. Angel of Perseverance doesn't have a holy feel to its kit. Same with Angel of Restoration, although it at least is cleansing, which is similar to a paladin's ability to cure disease.

Angel of protection has abilities that show that it has holy abilities, so it would still be a paladin. It is wearing armor, not much, but it is still armor.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Actually have to side with darklord here. Angel of Protection is a "Holy" angel as is Archangel, Mercy, etc. Paladin makes sense. Bastion on the other hand is not. He is a badass warrior of retribution. Nothing holy about it. Angel is a race. They do not all need to be Paladins, See Angels in other factions.

18. Dresnar20365988

You need to take another look at the art and sprite for AOP. I'm pretty sure a silver bikini doesn't count as armor.

19. Dresnar20365988

Angel and retribution are both terms closely related to holy as is the term paladin.

I see more of a reason to remove paladin from talgar and Euan than I do Bastion.

20. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Comments in red.