Patch Preview: Boost/Commander/Defender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Oct 17, 2016.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I don't really think the change will hurt KF much. We get commander through honor coin (I don't think that's getting changed?) and most of the other themes only use one to two of other abilities.. Sok also said where they are being removed they are likely being changed to more actively played around abilities. So instead of defender we might see shroud.. or maybe something gets encouraged instead of needing dmg from commander etc. I'm playing fae currently and they stack regal presence/boost/commander from honor coin. Chained isn't changing soko said and battle leader wasn't listed either (which is the best part of fae in my opinion) I love having a large spread of champs out that start with 8 dmg and up at 14 through battle leader procs :D

Let's wait and see what specifically happens and then decide if we need to go on a rampage and throw sporegills at soko's head.

2. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

KF will be fine. Fairies won't be changed by this so not sure what everyone is worrying about. Ask MEDIUMALLTIME player if he is worried about these changes. I am sure he is ok with it as well.

3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I'm not worried about it either - this preview pretty much changes nothing except for - possibly - treefolk in KF. Maybe a champ or two will get more expensive, but I doubt it'll be a huge increase.

4. eSmokefish

eSmokefish Devotee of the Blood Owl

Isn't aura-stacking the whole point of the Draksar? What does all this mean for them? I do not understand.

plz edumacate am just dum groble

5. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

I swear. Maybe I'm just ignorant or something, which is probably the case, but why again is this having to be changed??? I mean you already destroyed it from where it was before and made it a simpleton format for boosting stats, now we will basically have NO options to choose from other than the 1 being thrown at us. Lame. Pox Nora for crappin idiots is what you ought to rename this game. While we are at it, why don't we have an auto BG maker make BG's for us and then watch the AI fight out our battles for us. I mean jeez.
    Honestly, anyone that says the CURRENT form of boost/commander/defender system is too complicated really needs to be playing another game.
    Try slither.io out...its fairly mindless...

6. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

The argument isn't that it's complicated, it's just a generally bad way (in my opinion) to approach deck synergies. Lets not pretend like these abilities stacking add any depth to the game either, in fact I believe it's more restrictive than anything else.

What's being done here may well open design spaces, as well as give themes which are not currently being played (since they're not stat focused like others) a much more even ground within the competitive environment.

Nothing to be dramatic about. Good change. Change happens. Get used to it. Not everything has to actively seek catering to your nostalgia. Be objective. Different times. Repeat mantra.

davre, SPiEkY and Tweek516 like this.
  7. kagebunshn

kagebunshn I need me some PIE!

I assumed that if commander abilities were being targeted because they are too OP, then Honor Coin would be one of the first things targeted. It breaks their stated purpose of knocking themes down to only 1-2 options. That is why I mentioned it.

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I dont think they're doing this to adjust power levels, rather every theme had commander defender and boost - made it a tad boring.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Well, if everything else gets watered down to a point where the themes have none of these or very few then I guess this makes sense. Carry on...
    Only thing is, spare from this "design space" nonsense. Pox has been out of that for years.

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

evidently not as new mechanics are indeed still entirely a thing.

11. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

That's cool and all. I'll counter your opinion with another: You're wrong.

The resources are there, and as long as the game remains the same at it's core, there is plenty to work with. The way I see it quite a bit of steps have been taken towards variety up until now, where there are ideas coming up, still.

All in all, I am not sure of when they will reach the point in which they can focus on themes individually, but this type of change definitely helps the cause.

So perk up a bit, will ya? At this point in time you can see things for what they are, but also for what they could be. I think you'll find it far more enjoyable than trying to change things which you no longer can.

Cheers~

12. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

hope this doesn't kill off some non meta theme's that relied on boost/defender/commander stacking.

Tweek516 likes this.
  13. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

If they were relying on boost/defender/commander stacking to be playable then they were being poorly developed.
    This is a good change in the long run.

SPiEkY and Tweek516 like this.
  14. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

The thing for me is that commander/defender/boost don't really stack since they don't effect the same stat. IMO that was part of the reason the change was good from the old wonky versions that were a mix of all stats. Even if you get all of them in effect, there is nothing very scary about +5hp, +2def, +2 dam.

It is things like regal presence, battlemaster, battle harden... that are stacking with the above abilities and creating big numbers.

Voil being a case in point. Perhaps, if big numbers are a problem, these abilities are the ones that should be rationed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Etherielin, Tweek516 and Kampel like this.
  15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Just to follow this up that I'm sure sok does ration these abilities pretty closely, I'm just saying I don't believe that commander and defender are as problematic as is made out -- Boost, i think, deserves more caution for a variety of reasons: it being global, because there are several very common ways to stack it (banners, ST bonus, as well as the previously mentioned abilities) and because (this might be just my theory) HP is more dependable than damage or defense.

By this I mean there are less ways to bypass it, whereas damage is dependent on you getting hits, and def is ignored by spells and by many abilities, HP is HP. You are guarenteed (ok, there is soulstrike) to get value out of HP because even if you're champ sits there and takes it like a choir boy you are still using up their attacks and spells, so you're achieving something. To put it crudely - HP is dumb, Damage is smart, Defense is random (did I mention I play UD and hate ST).

This isn't to say I want less boost - it is a cool ability.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    SPiEkY and PhdNiceGuy like this.
  16. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

So, it looks like the concerned people are most concerned about KF (Fae in particular). Is there anything you can tell us (thoughts, feelings, revelations from on high) about how this might affect the Fairies? I ask because they are basically the only KF theme I play, and while I doubt that they will be nerfed into the ground (on purpose or accidentally), I am curious?

17. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

They'll be fine. If he only hits commander/defender/boost they won't get hit too badly. But If sok hits stat stacking again it will really hurt them.

SireofSuns likes this.
  18. serxic

serxic I need me some PIE!

WHAT!!!

THIS WILL RUIN SKELETON DECK!!!!. Omg skeletons needs the 3 boosts. This is lame, NERF ABOVE OTHER NERF, Skeletons no have a true racial ability, this will ruins my favorite and slow theme, congratz AgaIN!!! Buff IS indirectly

19. serxic

serxic I need me some PIE!

this is a pretext FOR nerf skeleton Decks

20. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It was, but I constantly still get complaints about stat stacking from some members of the community. So I am hoping that once this is dealt with, we no longer see any complaints about Boost/Commander/Defender again.

But yea, I don't actually think it's that big a deal either, but people don't like seeing a bunch of green numbers.

I predict this change will have very little effect on the meta.