Patch Preview: Equipment Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 27, 2016.

1. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

What was the reason for removing Resurrect from Shroud of Al'mara?

2. aseryen

Take your Divert, bring back Resurrect lol

3. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

no more 16 dmg nuke on shroud?

4. aseryen

I thought the changes to equipment were going to be for Dwarves/Carouse/Brews. I was appreciative of that announcement. But this, I just have a bad feeling about it, honestly Divert is great in my Rock Defiance bg so not much complaints but it is the preemptive changes and then the announcement I don't like.

It's like the discussion here http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/potential-runes-that-need-love.24398/page-3#post-341247 where runes are suggested and because they are already listed that means they need change. I guess I wish there was an active list of all the runes @Sokolov was looking at so that some people can defend those bgs. Community bgs are too limited and so not everyone is being represented by these decks. I'm sure if I had left until the PS4 release and came back to the change to Shroud I would have just chalked it up to as something expected. Here it feels like a betrayal. to just change a rune that has existed and has done what it says it does.

The intention was good though @Sokolov . Just left a really bitter taste in my mouth until there is some kind of response.

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I am not sure where you got this idea. I am nerfing Intoxicated's negative portion, and it's possible I may make some adjustment to Brews, but there was no specific plans to?

That's what the Crate is for. I try and put stuff there, but there's no realistic way to pre-approve all potential changes and discussions with players in all cases (and it seems like most people don't read the Crate anyway). I already spend a ton of time discussing design and potential changes with players on these forums (more than most devs do in any game that I know), so I am not sure what else I can do.

At the same time, you can argue that these previews are actually exactly what you are asking for too. What about the Shroud needs to be defended exactly? Is this a huge nerf or something? I didn't even think the Shroud was even being played.

Perhaps you can clarify, but I am honestly not sure what you are bitter about in this specific case - I change runes all the time... is it the preview that bothers you? is it the change itself? what about other changes?

~

Specifically on this rune... it was a weird rune that didn't see play, and was part of an older era when runes had disproportionate effects towards specific factions and gave a TON of different abilities. So I simplified a bit - preserving the flavor of the equipment while making it more likely to be ran. It's true that it's similar to Staff of the Solstice and that's ok - they are thematically similar equipment, so it makes sense. I also don't think it'll be a big deal balance wise, but if it ends up being so, I am always willing to take a second look at it.

Qucas and Tweek516 like this.
  6. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Maybe I missed this, I am not around very much anymore, but I was surprised not to see Oaken Mace on the list of changes. Did it change in-game but not on the website or does it still just grant Oaken Mace?

7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

These changes haven't been implemented yet.

xezno likes this.
  8. xezno

Ah, thanks, I knew I was missing the bigger picture. I just keep half an eye on this game until the time comes when I have a chance to play again.

9. Sokolov

Oaken Mace is not changing tho, either way.

10. xezno

So it is still just going to give equipped champion oaken mace? I guess I have just been confused by this equip for a long time. It sounds like a vanity item that does nothing based on its description. Then again I haven't played KF in a long time so maybe that is all that it actually does.

11. aseryen

I searched but I can't find the post, I distinctly remember more than what is mentioned in the Planar Disturbances Cactaur crate but I have no problem being wrong here.

As for comparing this announcement and the crate I don't see how they are similar. The changes made were something you did within a week and are now announcing, I know they aren't implemented yet. Forgive me if there was mention that you were looking at all the equipments runes, I must have missed that one. I'd like to make it clear that it's good to be able to make the changes. I'm just not sure why the work was put in and then the announcement, I can only see hostility coming from that.

I guess I saw that rune more valuable than others do so the change was actually a huge hit imo, but the new rune design isn't bad. I want to make it more clear that this change to shroud isn't exactly bad it's just that why not put it on a new rune and release it as such. The rune does what it says so I use it, and I've come to find that it has many other counterparts; exhume, restore life, Spirit Singer. As for viability, if NecroHex was ever changed I imagined it making Shroud more of a threat. Race manipulation is one of the more strong mechanics in the game, however that is only speaking on Smite Unholy.

12. aseryen

I like the new design. I'm having trouble arguing away from that, it's just that it's a completely new rune and if both designs were implemented I don't see a problem with Shroud being the way it is and a new equipment being made for the new design.

13. Sokolov

They are similar in concept. Both are providing information on what is being changed (and usually why), and give you opportunity to provide feedback before the changes are actually implemented - and in some cases, the change will be different based on that feedback.

I just don't see why giving players opportunity to comment on changes would breed hostility, perhaps you can elaborate? You seem to argue for discussion before changes happen, but here you suggest it is a bad idea? Should we just implement changes without announcing anything?

~

In this specific case of equipment review, the goal was to add the relevant/proper ability links to equipment - thus it was not announced in the Crate at all since it was more of an internal task than a design one.

However, since in doing so I had to go thru every single equipment anyway, I also did a quick review of them and made some, mostly minor, adjustments.

Shroud was admittedly one of the bigger ones and that's mostly because of the reasons I already outlined, but I can provide more specific details:
    • The rune gave a lot of abilities, with a variety of functions - there was no coherent focus to what the rune is doing (Resurrect triggers off Death while First Aid wants to keep things alive, Cleanse is defensive but Smite is offensive, First Aid is adjacent, but Cleanse has range...)
    • First Aid has been phased out
      • While in some cases, I don't have a problem with unique effects on equipment (such as Oaken Mace, or Rover on Emergency Kit), First Aid is one of those that I just want gone as we have enough of that class of Healing abilities
    • Smite the Unholy is the kind of ability that we are moving away from
    • Resurrect is one of those abilities that I feel is better on a champion, but don't feel strongly one way or another about it being on equipment, but it's also one of those that you can't actually price into the equipment, most players aren't going to want to pay 5 extra nora for Resurrect

It sounds like the primary reason why THIS specific change bothers you is because you actually used the rune :D I am surprised to hear that someone does.

So what aspects about it did you like and wish was preserved?

aseryen likes this.
  14. aseryen

I can agree that both posting in the crate and this announcement serve the same purpose, the Crate being future work and this being something that is mostly finished and is going to be rolled out, guess it's all the same one way or another.

Resurrect is what I liked about the rune, and Smite Unholy was usually what gave it that extra utility. I can see that Shroud has too much against it so that was why it is up for change. Part of what I like about it is why it's changing. It did so much for runes that I always consider a staple. Grintmaw Shaman is an easy candidate for Shroud and I usually split with FW so having Smite Unholy available in Grints was pretty huge. I know I can't be greedy and say keep Shroud the way it is, especially now that I understand it's changes.

I'd want to preserve resurrect but outside of it being 'spot' I can't say I'd use it in the same situations as I would a unit on the field. It's been ages since I split IS/KF and used Spirit Singer so I can't recall if an unit felt stronger than an equipment with resurrect. Nora rune costing goes over my head but if Resurrect on an equipment is an issue I understand. The other side of the coin was the offensive capability it provided when comboed with NecroHex which I wish could be preserved, but from this discussion I fully understand the direction it's being taken now so it is what it is.

15. aseryen

It always looked nice on paper to use magic eater on Grintmaw Shaman and have the Cleanse from Shroud. I never used it but that was also because it is true that Shroud needs work, which is where my argument loses its base because the new design probably puts Grintmaw Shaman more in line to use Magic eater and Shroud.

I like @PhdNiceGuy 's idea on incorporating resurrect into a spell to preserve it's spot feel. Gaining class: priest is a really good idea as well.

16. Sokolov

I don't have a problem adding Resurrect back to Shroud.

17. Sokolov

What does this mean exactly? You were Smiting your own champs?

Ah, got it:

18. aseryen

Having Shroud on Grintmaw Shaman and using Necro Hex gained access to Smite Unholy which justified using Shroud, which is a subpar equip generally speaking. I justified Necro Hex by casting it when I could on my own units like Grintmaw Bouncer and Angel of Mercy to spread improve range and boost.

But you explained your stance on Smite Unholy so that's just a combo I will have to live without.

19. aseryen

If I was splitting IS/FW and used Shroud I would remove Gravetender. That generally freed up a slot for x2 Necro Hex or some other spell. Generally speaking I thought the whole module was pretty sound regardless of how many people played it. I thought it would have been better to add runes to the mix than work them out but it's an obscure combo so I see why change it entirely.

20. aseryen

upload_2016-9-27_17-42-45.png

I played you many expansions ago when Grintmaw Bouncer had Strength of Body and Repurpose was a higher percentage. I played a group similar to this (minus the newer runes) but I assure you Shroud/resurrect and ravish/repurpose on Bouncer was a combo I played often.