Patch Preview: Pounce/Swoop/Massive Leap consolidation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Sep 23, 2016.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I'm glad we agree on this

Cinder405 and Kampel like this.
  2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Yeah, to me thats not enough reason to completely scratch the ability and be done with it.
    I actually liked the fact that it ignored all those things, because its not a targeted ability, so its pretty obvious that it should bypass things like Impenetrable.
    But hey, this is just the perspective of a guy who played this game exaustively for 8 years and doesnt play anymore, its not like my opinion matter or anything.
    Or does it?

3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

I'm glad we also agree on this

Cinder405 and Kampel like this.
  4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

So you're fine with an ability, which can bypass everything and has no counter apart from 2 abilities (resistance and immunity physical) whatsoever? Sorry, that doesn't sound good to me.

Also pounce in its current iteration is prone to bugging out left, right and middle as shown with pouncing on shadowspawned relics. (you don't move, but still nuke everything)

5. Pedeguerra

1) "You're fine with an ability which can bypass everything": WRONG. What you said, and I quote, is that "It ignores DEF, impenetrable (as it no longer acts as an attack), deflect, divert (same case) and can even hit through charm. " So yeah, it actually, as you described, only bypasses 4 abilities: Impenetrable (WAI), DEF (WAI), Deflect and Divert (WAI, it wasnt a single targeted basic attack). Hitting through Charm is bugged, though, I have to agree with that.
    2) "Has no counter apart from 2 abilities": that is not correct. Distract is a counter, Pacified is a counter, any mechanic that reduces AP/CD on the ability is a counter. So yeah.
    3) "Is prone to bugging out left, right and middle as shown with pouncing on shadowspawned relics": well, hitting relics isnt WAI, so isnt it just a matter of fixing that? There are probably people qualified enough to fix that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  6. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

@Pedeguerra It ignores NKD, Blind, OWN and a good range of other abilities, because it no longer acts as an attack.

@Distract: ineffective vs spot pounce or a champ with shadowspawn. It's more of a pre-emptive/reactive ability than a preventive one.
    @Pacified: There are very few sources of long-range pacified in the game - right now all I can think of is reclaim and truce in KF. Other sources of it will usually be cast after the damage is done. Also won't work vs shadowspawn.
    @AP/CD reduction abilities: Ripples and Creativity are heavily limited. Fury of a Thousand Strikes is available to monks only IIRC.
    @Hitting relics: you missed the point - it currently deals damage even if you fail to relocate.

This isn't about spoonfeeding people, who don't read. It's about dealing with an ability that is simply too strong. Tell me how fine spot pounce is when a Sheoul Demon, a Pit Dragon or a Thunderhoof pounce on you from a range there's absolutely no way to prevent them from murdering your champion.
    An example outside of UD - tell me how you wanna deal with a shadowspawned forest lerper from KF, who gains timeslip (which is cheap and the lerper deals huge damage even without pounce) and proceeds to delete a champion of his choice from the game. Another one? Myx Slasher pouncing on whatever he wants and massacring it because damage dealt by pounce is calculated after any bonuses, so he gets all the extra damage from spur and can murder the target if it survives. Another one? Arctic Tiger with 18 damage and 7 SPD pouncing and being overly efficient for its price because of it.

All the examples above are cases, where a pouncing champion is carrying the game by itself as it just obliterates a target of its controller's choice. It's absolutely not okay as Pox moved away from the idea of singular superchamps. Pounce is a relic of old times.

7. 4NIK8

4NIK8 I need me some PIE!

Actually I have to agree with @Pedeguerra here. Pounce was not the problem. All your examples are of champs that murder Bane Shift no matter what, Thunderhoof will easly get 8 spd and still have charge 3 to hit from far away. Three of those are from UD, a faction w/o spot cleanse, so any CC and they are pretty much vulnerable. What makes forest lerper strong is the blitz + 8 spd + shadowspawn. Once your opponent have one out, you just position accordingly to avoid the pounce to hit two champs.

My point is there's no need to remove pounce since its a perfectly fine ability. It ignoring NKD, Blind, OWN, etc is no different then a AoE Bomb ignoring those. Seeing the ability as problematic due to the champs that carry it is also not justifiable. If you constantly had more then one of your champs hit by pounce at once then it was your fault. But whatever, its not like it's going away, just being changed. So prepare your tears for those same champs when they "pounce" from x range away.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

As I alluded to in the OP, Pounce is changing for a few reasons.

Balance
    An objective analysis of the ability (even ignoring "counters") shows that it's superior to many other similar abilities in terms of potential damage output alone.

It also, as has been pointed, out, quite good at circumventing many normal counters to damage.

This, by itself, isn't enough to warrant removal or large adjustments (we could, for example, just +1 CD it), but there are other factors as well.

Intuitive Design
    The other problem is that, ever since it was changed from the weird "attack that wasn't an attack" it's been confusing. Yes, it's true that players need to read abilities, but at the same time, design should be intuitive where possible. Just because I can make an attack called "Basic Attack" then say in the description that it is not a basic attack doesn't mean that would be a good idea.

In this case, the name and function of this ability has led many to believe it is an attack - and I think it was a reasonable assumption based on the parameters of the ability.

Consolidation
    We currently have 3 different relocation/damage abilities in Pounce, Swoop, and Massive Leap all of which have different parameters and sub-effects. Part of the goal is to reduce the number of abilities to the ones that REALLY make a difference.

If you consider the 3 abilities as they currently are:

Massive Leap - AE Damage / Relocate / CC
    Pounce - AE Damage / Relocate
    Swoop - Single Target Damage / Relocate

It seems reasonable to consolidate these down to 2 abilities - one that Relocates and deals AE damage, and the other that Relocates and deals single target damage.

~

Now, I do agree that Pounce has not, historically, been called out as a balance problem as often as others, but I do see complaints now and then. In the past, when a unit with Pounce has been nerf-called, the finger is usually pointed to other aspects of the champion OR the champion's DMG (or ability to ramp damage). But realistically, Pounce, when on decent champions, has always been considered good. You'd take Pounce on most champions.

Realistically speaking, the single target damage potential of Pounce isn't really changing all that much - except in cases where it will be countered by certain attack blockers (note that it still won't trigger One With Nora and the like, since those are BASIC attack triggers) and in the majority of cases - players don't leave their champions in a formation that lets you Pounce multiple champions anyway.

Also, note that the Massive Leap becoming Seismic Leap is intended to preserve the Relocate-AE damage aspect of Pounce - so the mechanic isn't going away, it is going to be on Seismic Leap (but in both name and effect (AE2), not scaling to DMG, it will be more clear that it is not an attack). And a number of Pounce champions will get it as an option if you prefer this AE option to the single target attack option instead of the new Pounce.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It isn't a melee attack. That's the whole point.

Etherielin and Cydna like this.
  10. Pedeguerra

Ok man, not convinced but whatever. Rare league rabble running the shots now, What can one do?
    Can you at least rename this new ability, then?
    Cause having cat people doing "sismic " abilities doesnt sound flavorful at all.

11. Sokolov

Most people seem to like the name.

12. Pedeguerra

Do you?

13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Pounce is going to be divested into either seismic leap or swoop, so the cat probably won't be seismic.

14. Sokolov

I do. I liked Leap Slam personally, but when someone suggested Seismic and I thought that was a good alternative. Other people liked it as well, so win win.

You are the only person who has expressed an issue with Seismic Leap so far.

15. Pedeguerra

Leap Slam is definetely less restricting.

16. Sokolov

As I explained earlier, some might get the option to have Seismic Leap, but the default replacement for Pounce (OLD) is Pounce (NEW).

Either way, I don't have a problem with cats and seismic - the idea of the ability is that the unit is slamming the ground with their weight - which causes tremors and knocks people back. I don't see how it's a problem.

But even if it doesn't fit 100%, the game can't name every ability both flavorfully and generically for all situations. It's this kind of thinking that leads to silly questions like: "Why doesn't every unit with Commander in its name have the Commander ability?"

17. Pedeguerra

1) Well thats good to know;
    2) I actually think a unit with Commander on the name should have the Commander ability.

18. Sokolov

Or you can read what I said is happening.

19. Sokolov

Of course you do.

20. Sokolov

I agree, but I don't think Seismic Leap is all that different.