PC to Console feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeaNinja, Dec 27, 2016.

1. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ra-preview-strategic-complexity-ps4/#/slide/2

"PC to Console
    I normally try not to offer too many criticisms in previews, as I know that these are early builds that can still be refined and changed before the final release, but it’s notable to say that Pox Nora felt too unchanged from its PC counterpart. The UI particularly was difficult to navigate with one stick moving to different menus and the other selecting things within them. Even near the end of the demo I was constantly mixing up which control stick did what, and losing which menu of the UI that I was currently selected in. With a mouse and keyboard, this isn’t a problem, but without a traditional cursor on consoles, this clunky UI could create issues. One of the developers walking me through let me know that things are subject to change, and that they were still working on the specifics of the UI controls, which makes me hopeful that they’ll clean them up for the final release.

The text on the screen is also very small and information is difficult to read or even obviously find. For a game with such small nuances to every ability, it isn’t easy for the uninitiated to jump in and quickly find the information they are looking for. If I was bogged down and couldn’t move because of an enemy ability, the game didn’t make it obviously known to me, and every time I tried to move while having more than enough ability points, my character simply wouldn’t move. There was no error message or pop up telling me that I was hindered by something. For all I knew, the game could have just been glitching and not clicking in the right place. Once I was familiar with this hiccup, it became a little easier to navigate my way through and win the battle.

Pox Nora is one of the deepest tactical strategy games that will ever see release on the PS4, but there are some growing pains in catering to a console audience that don’t seem to have been addressed yet. I understand that parity between the console and PC releases is crucial with PC/PS4 cross-play, but the user experience should come first to make sure that you gain and retain those PS4 players in the first place. If they can work out making the UI a little more accessible and controller friendly, and offer more readable fonts without me needing to put a chair in the middle of the room to get closer to my TV, I think that Pox Nora PS4 could share the same kind of success on console that it does on PC, providing PS4 players with a mind bending strategy game, more intricate and complex than anything that they have ever played before."

@Sokolov I think this feedback is useful.

2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

this is why I thought it would be unreasonable to consider the pc and console on equal terms but meh.

3. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

I feel bad for the PSN community really, Vita less so because the tooltips will at least be readable from such a short distance. Navigating the UI will most likely always be a nightmare because of how the controls are set up, http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/controller-support-opinion.24286/#post-333972

Navigating via trackpad is much easier than an analog stick and the Steam Controller has support for any game dev or user to remap the controls. It'd be better to throw PSN under the bus to better support the PC and Steam version. The way I see it is that there are now three different UI's all being worked on; 1)PC which is a given, 2)PS4 which is the same as 3)Vita, however both PS4 and Vita are bound to have their own separate bugs despite having the same controls. There is even a fourth UI that is entirely disregarded which is the Steam Controller, and it has been around longer than the console announcement.

Should the workload be changed to PC and Steam that's almost 2.5 times less work because the Steam Controller works from the PC rather than the separate code PS4/Vita controllers operate on. Maybe I have it all wrong and the workload for PC,PS4,Vita can all be done simultaneously. I would rather have to only take bug reports from PC users, and then explain to Steam users that all they need to do is update Steam.

I may have the workload all wrong as far as coding for each different device, it's all from within Unity and I'd expect it to be able to package PC and Console together. I think it's just a horrible misdirect to lead people towards PS4 when PC serves far more utility and will be inherently easier to play Pox with.

4. Revengercm

Revengercm I need me some PIE!

Lets all be optimistic here. Either they tried adding the game to the PS4 and PSvita or it's over for this game.

Lushiris likes this.