People's thoughts about the UN Isreal Resolution

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 30, 2016.

1. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

That was my first thought, but the more I read the more I realized I didn't quite understand. I'd rather just wait for Booze Man to respond.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

It's a statement about how saying "Palestine is not a country" isn't really meaningful. A country is only defined by its recognition.

3. SireofSuns

Ah, I see what you mean.

I would agree that Palestine might be a country, in terms of recognition. However, I believe it doesn't have enough historical evidence of being a nation to be called a country in the historical sense.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

So what is Palestine then?

actually more of a "why does a country need to be historical to be a country"

i mean: Israel

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  5. SireofSuns

A region.

It doesn't, but it helps immensely in the argument for determining whether or not a 'thing' (organized group of people in a region?) should be recognized as a country/nation.
    (as in, if there's a bunch of old people living in an old folks home, but a bunch of teens want to build a house there, the old people have precedence due to having an established history there).

Actually, country is the wrong word.
    Palestine has a small amount of precedence for being called a country (region focused), but for being recognized as a nation (organization and history focus).

SPiEkY likes this.
  6. Boozha

What Burn said. Also, South Sudan. Also, any other country that was ever founded. Was it not a real country until an arbitrary number of years had passed?

7. SireofSuns

"Palestine" isn't an organized group of people, it doesn't have actual "Palestinians", it has no history as a nation, it hasn't been fighting for independence (the Arabic countries surrounding Israel are the only ones that physically fight for "Palestinian independence").

8. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

This is funny..bunch of mother Firkers who dont know Bane Shift about the area or its history and dont even understand why "palestine" is not a country, but they sure have a strong opinion lol Keep it up! its fun to watch you kids try to learn history.

SPiEkY likes this.
  9. SireofSuns

Well I appreciate the support, but please be nice, otherwise no one will listen. :(

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

most countries start as regions that just happen to be under a group's control. historically, i'm pretty sure that modern day palestine was generally slotted in under "judaea", except when larger countries had swallowed the area (rome, the caliphates, the ottomans, etc)

palestine, iirc, had been lobbying for its own country when the middle east was being backed out of by colonial powers, but they (similar to the kurds) didn't get the green light

11. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

Ah sorry for any confusion..youre not one of the entertaining mother Firkers. :)

And these clowns listen ? these dumb ****s still run around saying USA is a democracy lol no way will they be able to grasp why palestine isnt a country. But damn is it fun to read.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Boozha

So Israel didn't actually bomb a bunch of Palestinians to death, but just some random Arabs. That's a relief and a half

13. SireofSuns

[​IMG]

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I can't because I am having identity issues, you see I live in a region that used to be part of a german kingdom, then france, then spain, then we were all sentenced to death by the pope at some point ( it didn't work)

I thought I came from a country but now I think we may just be a region that shares roughly the same language and culture.

how long untill a region becomes a country? how long must people fight untill their identities become a culture? can't we just end the violence?

15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Countries are only countries if it is recognized by other countries, most notably the bigger and more powerful ones.

Thus the reason why Palestine isn't a country is mostly politics - there is no hard rule when something "becomes" a country.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think you misunderstood, that wasn't a real question.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I was mostly replying to the posts that are basically like, "but it isn't a country!"

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Palestine has been recognized by 136 nations at this point, just throwing that out there for everyone.

19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

(except the west.)

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I thought we established it was an oligarchy long ago

Geressen likes this.