People's thoughts about the UN Isreal Resolution

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BurnPyro, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Sounds like SOMEONE here doesn't like the idea of a different people suddenly occupying a piece of land next to him.

BurnPyro likes this.
  2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Let's face it, the creation of Israel was s historical injustice against the native Arab population, and it's completely understandable why they would refuse to recognise it's right to exist.

But, it's there now and there should be some respect given to the pressure it is under, and the need to defend itself.

But at the same time, respect should be given to the Palestinians who never chose to be part of a Jewish state, and who have been subjected to discrimination and violence by what they (justifiably) see as a colonisation of their lands.

In practice, I think this means not supporting Israel unquestionably, not funding them unquestionably, and trying to manage the rights of both sides.

Dagda, Ohmin and Astamir like this.
  3. ssez

ssez I need me some PIE!

i keep seeing all these type of posts with no history spoken of..

of course i know these answers but i will ask anyway.

how did they aquire the land ?
    who was in control of the land and why?
    did it have anything at all to do with ww1 and ww2 ?

4. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

I honestly am not certain how that relates. I think it's supposed to be humor? I'm not sure though.

If anyone would like some actual history and info on this subject, feel free to privately message me and I'll give you some links, I've got plenty. I won't bother posting them here, because they'll just take up space with the amount of accusations of them being Zionist propaganda and lies that I'm certain would be leveled against them.

5. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Israel

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Sorry, can't hear you over the cries of children dying in agony

7. badgerale

I'm going off memory here, so correct any errors (I'm on my phone, xcuse spelling)

It is my understanding that the area was under British control after the war, and was home to a mix of Arab, Jewish and other religions.

In response to a long held idea, which was made very relevant by the events of the holocaust Britain designated an area of land within the mandate of Palestine as a Jewish home land - I believe the bel four declaration said something deliberately ambiguous like "a Jewish homeland " but also made a point of saying that it shouldn't be predidice against non-Jews.

After this a large number of European Jews started moving there (much more than predicted) and the local Palestinians protested and there was conflict between the immigrants and arabs.

The British then attempted to limit immigration in an attempt to create a balance between Jews and non-Jews.

There was then Jewish terroism and armed violence against the British army who were attempting to keep the peace and control migration.

The British didn't have much taste for that fight and withdrew leaving the Jewish militias and organisations in control,.

From here the state of Israel was pretty much established but it was enlarged by military conquest since then (which is also a pretty nuanced subject ).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Like everything ever, it is the Brits that ****ed up and ruined it for everyone.

BurnPyro likes this.
  9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Except Hong Kong. That worked out pretty good for the most part :)

Geressen likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

true, but I bet even that ruined some peoples day at the time.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. Sokolov

There weren't really that many people there before the Brits, especially after the Great Clearance during the Qing Dynasty.

There were less than 8000 people in the area when the British took over the area.

Geressen likes this.
  12. badgerale

To be fair to them, I think they tried to do the morally right thing (as it seemed at the time) at every point... it just kinda took a life of it's own and spiralled out of their control.

They were left with situations where you could start killing Jews (which had recently fallen seriously out of fashion, and may have been a losing battle anyway) or screw over the arabs.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Geressen likes this.
  13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Usually that is how many are left after a colonial power takes over an area.

14. Sokolov

In this case, it grew to 6.5 million people under British rule.

15. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

In the last few posts the whole "jewish terrorism"-thing has been kinda lost, so I just wanted to reiterate ... the zionist Jews used terrorist attacks (including on humanitarian heroes and their supporters, but not-quite-right supporters) to get their way. They kinda still do terrorist attacks on civilians, but what do you know, as soon as you're a state it's self defense or something.

16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I blame Portuguese mismanagement of their trade port in Macau in the 17th century after they lost their trade ports in Nagappattinam, Cranganore, Colombo, Cochin, Malacca and Amboina to some other colonial power.
    [​IMG]

17. Sokolov

upload_2017-1-8_14-39-42.png

upload_2017-1-8_14-39-53.png

Source:
    http://www.heller.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/e6f046db-fd29-462e-86fe-3433921c44b0/Heller Cruz Rubio Jerusalem Bill.pdf

In short, funding for embassies across the world is being reduced or defunded until the White House agrees to build an embassy in Jerusalem. Note that the US already has an embassy in Israel - it is in Tel Aviv.

upload_2017-1-8_14-42-33.png

For reference, Tel Aviv is a one hour drive from Jerusalem.

This is what Republicans want to spend money on and will hold hostage funding for other embassies to accomplish - including funds for security where Americans are serving abroad.

~

Trump had initially said he would do it, but then, as usual, has backtracked, so this measure is likely to be an attempt to force his hand a bit?
    upload_2017-1-8_14-47-3.png

Of course, this is less about the location of the embassy and more about the symbolism of where it is. This measure is explicitly intended to recognize Jerusalem as the capital and moving the embassy there reinforces that, but the way it is being done is a bit... well, ultimately I expect this to just happen at some point under Trump, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth to see this kind of approach being taken by Congress.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Ohmin and BurnPyro like this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

who cares if the security of mooks and minions is compromised, that is what they are there for.

next watch them dangle a sword above a baby untill they can lower more taxes.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

the fact that it's possible in the US to use the "we're not gonna do anything until you do this" bs, on either side, is so dumb.

honestly

I hate that Firking over people to get what you want is somehow deemed acceptable. It's telling how far people are drowned into the "them vs us/left vs right" comparison when they approve of playing hard ball with their own interests just to screw over the others.

Ohmin likes this.
  20. Sokolov

Oh, and let's not forget these same people complained about Clinton allegedly not providing proper security for Benghazi.

BurnPyro and Ohmin like this.