Player Expansion Preview (Protectorate Non-Champions)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Since it is a PLAYER Expansion after all, I thought I'd share the current designs of these runes so people can comment on them.

Keep in mind these are all subject to change and should largely conform to what the player designs are (though some changes did happen already).

Fairy Circle (KF Relic - Nora 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Reinforce (When this unit is deployed the closest champion you own is returned to the rune dock with a cooldown of 10 and you gain 50% of its nora cost) and Psychic Ping 2.​

Notes: While the expansion generally called for NO NEW ABILITIES, one potential consideration here is that this should be a Fairy exclusive rune.​

Arcane Oddity (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Enchant: Magic, Shatter, and Teleport: Equipped.
    Moon Pearl (FS Relic - Nora: 30, HP: 20) @narvoxx
    This relic has Starshine and Reflection 3.

Note: Reflection and Mirrored on the next one make these kind of similar, so I'd like to find something else for Reflection here.​

Kaleidoscope Mirror (FS Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Kampel
    upload_2017-2-18_0-38-36.png

This relic has Divert and Mirrored.
    Tesladin Coils (IS Relic - Nora: 30, HP: 20) @sassquatch
    This relic has Static Greeting and Repulsion.​

Silverclan Impactor (IS Relic - Nora: 30. HP: 20) @Sirius (split one of his ideas into 2 things, one of which is this)
    This relic has Relocate Self and Portal Blast.

Notes: Currently too similar to Earthshaker, but the idea of a relic that relocates itself to knockback things is kind of cool.
    Icewatch (ST Relic - Nora: 25, HP: 20) ??? (I don't have a note for where this one came from)
    This relic has Ice Front, Detection 3 and Catalyst: Frost.

Notes: Originally had Propagate: Self.​

Mondo Satori (ST Equipment - Nora: 25) @themacca
    Equipped champion with a MAX RNG of 2 or less gains <ability value=732>Fury</ability>. If the equipped champion has Class: Monk, it also gains <ability value=2626>Scrapper</ability>.

Notes: Originally named Martial Arts Handbook​

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Anima26, Alakhami, aseryen and 3 others like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

OP, Nerf

OriginalG1 and limone1981 like this.
  3. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

These runes seem really cool, kinda like mini champions that have one soul purpose and all of these are font Contest relics.

4. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

did i make this, i dont remember making this haha

5. Sokolov

6. themacca

yay me

7. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

KF continues to gain tools and utility. How much longer will we allow KF to position itself to take over as the strongest faction? ( I can predict it will go far ahead of the curve at this rate.)

Should 1 faction really have the ability to do everything?

Why does UD keep getting hammered with the flavor argument but KF seems to allow anything?

nepyonisdead and Excalibur95 like this.
  8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

In a number of games the moon is associated with illusion-magic. It might be too good, but what about....

Moon Pearl- This unit has Starshine and Deception.
    or
    Moon Pearl- This unit has Starshine and Illusion: Boghopper*.
    *Illusion: Boghopper is essentially Illusion: Mage or Illusion: Archer.

Kampel likes this.
  9. Sokolov

What exactly is out of scope/line with these?

Both of these seem largely in-line with what the faction currently has access to?

As always tho, in general, I prefer designs which does provide for some novelty because there's no point for each faction to continue to just have the same stuff over and over. I believe runes like Drain Vitality and BE's designs fit this mold for UD, giving them some alternative utility that isn't just "KILL IT NOW" but still feeling like it's something UD would do.

10. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Exactly. the faction already has everything.
    And both the relics are ridiculous.

Excalibur95 likes this.
  11. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

and people thought player runes wouldnt be op lol.

12. Sokolov

This seems to contradict your previous statements, but ok.

The whole point of this preview is to get feedback. If you feel like providing more details, that'd be helpful, otherwise, I can't do much with that.

13. Sokolov

I really should learn to stop posting previews. People apparently just want to knee-jerk and whine instead of providing actual feedback.

Anima26, MaruXV and SPiEkY like this.
  14. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Don't start getting jaded. You are starting to lean in to weak mentalities of some-sort of hatred of the masses I am seeing around the "Intellectuals" of the community; Too much knowledge, not enough wisdom.

Anyway.

1. I don't believe KF should have access to reinforce. Frankly they can already heal very heavily if they want to. ( As well as a variety of survivability spells.)

2. Arcane oddity. Name fits, because it's an absolute oddity what the actual heck this relic is trying to do.
    Shatter? Enchant magic? Teleport: Equipped?
    Why don't you just give it the ability to walk and attack as well?
    It does way too much. And frankly do we really wanna keep giving KF relic teleports? Already one of the most mobile factions in the game?

15. Sokolov

It fits perfectly into their line of retreat/defensive tactics - and if restricted to Fae (as I noted, this is something I think I want to do), it also really fits the Fae's flavor/thematics. A BG can only use so many such tools at once, so I am not seeing how this can be out of line. If you end up spending a bunch of nora defending a champion with survival spells and then end up having to reinforce it anyway, it's probably not a great play. I do think there's a particular breakpoint for this relic where it being too cheap will be problematic, but that's more the nature of Reinforce more so than the relic's actual design.

It also doesn't work with healing, so you are basically choosing between 2 different styles of survival. Reinforce also is less powerful when we are talking more fragile champions.

Is your complaint here that "they are already good at escaping from combat, so this doesn't help them any?" Or do you just think it's the other direction, that Reinforce would be really strong in the faction in combination with those other things?

Or do you just not want KF to have access to any new mechanics in general, even if they fit in with their existing runeset in theme and style? Based on your previous comments, it seems like this is the case.

It's clearly a relic that interacts with equipment. All 3 abilities on it tie to Equipment, so I don't know why you are so confused by it.

You haven't made an actual argument as to why what it does is "way too much" other than listing what it does.

Both Shatter and Enchant: Magic are largely one time effects on this relic (unless the opponent decides to let it sit there until it dies). Both are also somewhat situational as neither will have any real impact if conditions aren't met. In many cases, if you are using it for Shatter you probably aren't using it for Enchant: Magic and vice versa (though there will certainly be cases where you can leverage both).

As for relics that teleport, I don't believe they are causing an issue, and yes, I believe that a faction that is supposed to be mobile should have mobility options.

Now, I can see the argument that it does too much for its current cost, given that Shatter (Spell) and Diamond Mace (Equipment) are both 30 nora for Shatter alone.

That said, I could see this being just Enchant: Magic and Teleport: Equipped, but that'd also be cheaper than 35 nora, IMO.

~

Let's take your points for a second and try and redesign with them in mind tho. If KF shouldn't have access to tools, reinforce or mobility options, what ARE they allowed to have? For example, what would you suggest for these relics that feel acceptable to you? Because the impression I am getting is that you want them to not get any new stuff... but also not get anything that's their strengths - so what's left in the bucket?

Kampel and Gnomes like this.
  16. Sokolov

This seems weird to say.

I am literally doing an entire expansion with the masses.

I was just complaining about the fact that people take previews as tho they are written in stone and post one-liners instead of actual feedback - which seems like a valid complaint to me, especially in a thread whose entire purpose is to get early feedback on runes in development.

Anima26, mortal ix, Kampel and 2 others like this.
  17. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

If it's restricted I can respect it as a rune. I agree that when adding new tools its gonna create a "either/or" scenario when building the BG. That being said factions with high mobility long range champions being able to refund does not sit well with me. But it's not going to be the strongest thing in the world, so it's fine.

Yes, it is clearly a relic that interacts with an Equipment BG. But it's 1 relic. Just like you argued earlier that new options create "Either/or" scenario, this absolutely kills that. You are giving them in the ability to have shatter/teleport/enchant in 1 single slot. A big part of Pox has always been having to give something up in BG building to focus on your strengths rather then have the ability to counter-everything.
    Furthermore, if I'm not wrong is Teleport Equipment not a Spot teleport? Yes it has a restriction, but a very minor one for KF. You can't sit here and tell a SPOT TELEPORT relic. is too cheap at 35 nora. What the hell happened to ferren hide-out.

I didn't say KF shouldn't have mobility options or tools, I said they should have LESS access to them, as they already have way to much. KF has always been a little too easy. You have the ability to deal with any situation that comes at you, you have long ranged units, you can heal, you can AOE Pacify ( a spell that literally can not be countered.), you have high mobility, survivability spells, AOE 4 confuse and distract..?.... the list goes on and on.

Its not that I hate KF so much and want them to get nothing, I just don't believe how powerful KF is, is being truly acknowledged when designing. I've always felt for whatever reason the players who choose KF were not blessed with anyone wise enough to have an unbiased educated opinion about their own faction. And as someone who will honestly give opinions and crush my own faction if I'm asked about the power of something overpowered in my faction, I find it personally offensive watching them argue.

Goyo likes this.
  18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I will comment on KF runes and chime in on their design.
    I think Reinforce would be too good if it's non-fairy. Suggested changes:

Fairy Circle #1 (KF Relic - Nora 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Return to the Conclave (When this unit is deployed the closest champion with Race: Fairy you own is returned to the rune dock with a cooldown of 8 and you gain 50% of its nora cost) and Psychic Ping 2.
    Fairy Circle #2 (KF Relic - Nora 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Guarded: Fairy (The first time each turn this unit is successfully attacked by a basic attack, friendly Fairies within 5 spaces gain 2 AP and +4 DMG for 2 turns.t) and Psychic Ping 2.​

I believe that Shatter is too much for the rest of abilities it has as well as the ability to contest and relocate equipped champs. Suggested changes:

Arcane Oddity #1 (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Catalyst: Magic Enchant: Magic, and Teleport: Equipped.

Arcane Oddity #2 (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Enchant: Magic, Magical Aura 3, and Teleport: Equipped.​

Arcane Oddity #3 (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Damage Shield: Magical 3, Enchant: Magic and Teleport: Equipped.
    Arcane Oddity #4 (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Enchant: Magic, Immunity Magic/Magic Eater/Magic Acolyte, and Teleport: Equipped.
    Arcane Oddity #5 (KF Relic - Nora: 35, HP: 20) @Xirone
    This unit has Council: Spells/Favour, Enchant: Magic, and Teleport: Equipped.​

Please note that I don't know if Enchant: Magic is self-targetable, which is why versions #2 and #3 have their respective abilites. Also do note that if you see X/Y/Z it means that it would have either of these two abilities and not both, I was just uncertain if it's fine for the relic to have both of those at 35 nora cost. Also do note none of my suggestions is seen as balanced in my eyes, I'm merely throwing ideas around.

19. themacca

pretty sure teleport: equipped =relocate next to equipped champ. so i think theres a misunderstanding here

20. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

My thoughts:

Fairy circle:
    The main issue for me is that reinforce is much easier to target when it comes from a relic. Champ-based reinforce will always be limited to deployment zones, so the champs you want to target with it have to leave the front lines to be affected. A relic with reinforce can be dropped adjacent to the champ you want to refund, making it very easy to use. This ability to drop it wherever you want it makes psychic ping easy to position as well. Consider increasing the cost of the relic or switching ping for something like fascinate or psychic magnetism (because fairy circles are about misleading people), so it has less impact after reinforcing.

Arcane oddity: Hilarious and I love it. Its like giving your champions a pet to play with.

Moon pearl and Kaleidoscopic mirror: makes me want to run seism even more. If this becomes popular I'll put 3 seisms in every bg.

Tesladin coils doesn't do a whole lot right now. As a cheap contesting relic it serves it's purpose, but not in an interesting way. Energy thief would be cool instead of static greeting, which is a weak ability in general (although it does act as a pseudo-detect).

Silverclan impactor: I don't like how this one can relocate freely (contesting fonts) and do damage with slam. The arcane oddity gets away with being able to relocate because it can only target equipped champs. Consider adding some kind of font ignorance, or a different relocation ability, like phantom dash.

Icewatch would be a good include if you really needed detection in your bg, but otherwise it's overshadowed by the other cheap relics in ST, like grumble rock, sapphire catalyst, halberd of j'thir, orb of frostfall, endless iceburg, aaaaand coordination tower. There's a lot of competition for relic slots.

Mondo satori: Interesting, but I can't think of many champs that I want to equip it on in monks. Chilling scale and leaf on the wind like it, but silent master already has scrapper and swift current has 1-3 range. How about giving it one of the discipline abilities (forbidden discipline would be most useful) instead of fury?