Playerbase level: critical. Override shutdown?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LoganMkv, Jun 22, 2015.

1. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

I know where you're coming from since you're a veteran, but that one guy that rage quit because the tutorial kept bugging or realised the upfront cost of the game ORRRR faced game breaking bugs didn't even get to understand the game and it's balance. Not to say they're not working on this but that's what made the Steam re release what it was.

It does have impact, it does matter but at the same time such conceptions would vary if the playerbase was bigger.

hfok, Pedeguerra and Netherzen like this.
  2. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

yeah... idk if balance is actually that big a deal to attracting NEW players. It definitely matters once they've become regular players, but a lot of people just quit before they make any assessment of balance, just because of the knowledge and $$$ barriers

3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Yeah, new players don't care much about balance, but it is important in keeping existing players, and without a healthy playerbase it will be harder to get any new players.

4. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

mah, it's ok, but it was a massive drain on my phone memory space and it ran kinda slow so i deleted it.

5. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Oh, I agree 100%.
    However, I don't think their budget allows them to implement massive NUX such as new player experience AND have someone making balance calls 24/7 until the dust settles.
    If I was to choose Id make the environment balanced first, then attract people. I could be wrong, though, because I'm not a business man. I am, however, a gamer for 30+ years now, and from what I can tell nobody like boring unbalanced crap.
    As I said a million times now, Sok is amazing and is doing a wonderful job, I just don't think the evil done by Gedden can be reverted.
    Unless, of course, a second revamp is under way.
    Actually, the more I think about it, how open would DOG be to making a new revamp and postponing expansion 26 for a month or two? I think it would be very helpful.

Ah, shame.

6. abrasax

abrasax The King of Potatoes

Don't solve the problem but will help with core set for free a lot of new player don't quit after the tutorial.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I've heard newer player complain about all sorts of things that no one would take seriously. Balance is a completely different world for the uninitiated and inexperienced. It's its own thing; looks nothing like what more experienced players see.

8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

everyone regrets easy stone, it's just a matter of time.

9. Pedeguerra

Show me everyone.
    I have a bunch of friends who haven't (and I'm 32, don't forget), and the only one around here that played it and quit is BP.
    This is an interesting conversation, though, please expand.

10. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

you have friends that play, I know dozens of people that laugh at it, we run in different circles though, my friends tend to play magic competetively. in fact at this stage I don't actually know anyone that plays it anymore.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

liked for the pic alone

12. Pedeguerra

Well, jeez, people who play MtG competitively think HS is easy mode? Wow, shocking.
    Seems more like a "I have no time to get into this so I bash it endlessly so I dont get attracted" kind of argument.

13. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Anyway, to quote baskit (loosely)

This game is fatally died to it's expansions/releases revenue. - baskit tha god 2015

It's been some time since new content and people just don't bother. I know I only play the occasional game. Whether it's balance, disinterest or just waiting for more people, there's always work to be done. Doesn't mean there's not been improvement, but this is the circle of life.

14. Bellagion

I don't play Magic, but I have the same general feeling as calisk. I also know lots of people who played it and quit because of the poor design.

Dr. Balance thooo

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

:(

I log in from time to time to do arena when I'm really bored. But generally when I'm working fulltime I fill my time with enough other crap to not check out heartstone.

Still <3 freezemage alexstraza though

16. Bellagion

booooo mages

17. Pedeguerra

Well, to each his own. You guys still play Pox a lot so I fear for your mental health. :D
    Dr. Balance doesn't trouble me much anymore, even though I feel the damage on his bots could be capped at 3.

18. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

I played HStone and quitted it, mainly because it seemed fairly unidimensional, and got me a coin flipping feeling.

19. hfok

hfok I need me some PIE!

I am curious to know, do you mind to tell us?

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

What newer players complain about? Full Worms BG, for one. I'll try to save the good ones.