Please remove unattainable runes from ranked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by super71, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Hmm, I wonder if it has to do with how the last time Harbs were re-released people quit like crazy...

Hmm... Just maybe...

2. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

I just felt to point out that your logic is flawed. There are tons of competitive events out there that allow teams to be unevenly matched. Your first example was racing: In theory I do have access to the best and fastest car out there. The only problem is that I can't afford it. So I'll likely never win a professional race. Even if you are already a professional driver in a professional team it is very well possible that your competition will have the better engineers, the better car, the better driver or all things combined. Just because they have access to something doesn't mean that they have said something or can afford that something.

Or to put it in nerd terms: Everybody playing pox has access to every rune just as much as everybody playing MtG has access to a Black Lotus. Sure you can have it, it just won't be cheap. ("QQ but I only play standard!" - Yeah whatever.)

JellyBerry likes this.
  3. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Implying these runes have an influence in the competitive environment pretty much translates to them being better in comparison. You almost make it sound like they're necessary to compete when they're not. I'm trying to work with you here. I honestly am. I don't see runes themselves being a big deal when it comes to player base growth because they're just the means to play the game and there are literally thousands. So seeing an argument based on what you're saying is alien to me because realistically any changes made to them are recognized by veterans, not the new players you all love to speak about.

It's amusing to see people's suggestions often miss out on the context in which the game is in and often result on unnecessary changes. I'm against this mainly due to these runes being the ones holding leverage for the trading aspect of this game, whether they provide advantages or not is as you said subjective, even though somehow you make it sound like they're a must. This game thrives on catering to veterans and that is all it has been doing, it's also why they're still around as they are. Contrary to your belief the fact that these runes exist and are allowed to be used in game is not what hinders PoxNora's gameplay for newcomers (which is honestly getting old as an argument sometimes because super71 attributes anything that twists his panties as harmful for said new players).

We had this issue with Exotic and Legendary runes to an extent prior to them being forgeable, now it's not. You have access to pretty much the whole rune pool with very little difficulty now. Then what's the problem with a couple of runes with allegedly 'subjective' power? What is it that makes you think the game would be better if these were available? Why is it that you think after playing for nearly 7 years that these runes are impossible to get? Are they even worth getting? Do you honestly think that if these runes were accessible via reskin they would stay the same? How often do you think these runes decide matches between equally skilled players? How does exactly a small group of runes being widely spread translate into a bigger player base?

If this is about being all 'ah bummer, this rune looks cool but it's hard to get' and not 'this rune is the better option within the competitive environment (attributed to UD harbs for the longest time and rightfully so yet no longer the case)' then why should it be easy to get them? Shouldn't they have a value of their own (which is subjective too)?

Now I'd ask the same to super, but I can guess his answer to these would be 'if you can't understand why then u suck hue alsopilgrimageistearingthemetaapart how dare u disagree with me' and quite frankly I have given up on trying to convey that if the world seems problematic to you from every single standpoint then maybe you, the common factor carries the problem.

These runes have no direct influence on the player base, it's growth, number of competitive players or players overall and if you deem them a defining factor which hinders all of the above then you're either blissfully or purposely missing out on several other things.

4. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

If limited runes just become reskins or not very powerful runes, then imo limited runes in this game have been ruined! No one will want them except collectors and sharks.

This is a collectible trading card game, its a good feeling in obtaining and using a powerful limited rune that not everyone has. I do not think limited runes should only be created one time. If non reskin decent limiteds were made, then make them more accessible, its their rarity that makes them skyrocket in price. Either give them out to the community periodically or sell them in poxnora for cash or both. The whiners who cant pay cash can trade for them, they will just have to grind or trade to be able to do so... which would work out if they are more common and not of great cost.

you want to fix the tournaments? limit the number of 1st and 2nd place runes each player can win in a tournament, once they have bar them from entering again that weekend. You can then use tournaments to give out limited runes that i hope are not just reskins and rubbish. even free 2 play players could then trade limiteds for limiteds. You could release many different limiteds in expansions then since they are attainable or will be.

RESKINS SUCK.

The last expansions christmas batch are so rare you cant even get half off them from the poxbox cash shop, i log in multitudes of times a day, out of the other half, half again was a struggle getting. Most people dont even use the cash shop, forget about seeing them in the poxbox normal trader. They are rarely seen in the poxnora trader and the out of stock runes people expect high value limiteds in exchange. One guy tried to sell me one for 15 usd, as much as outcast was offered at, wtf. They are practically unattainable. Players want to trade the not in stock runes like they are gold dust too, this only benefits the sharks in this game. So many of the christmas reskin runes were released and you hardly got many in packs. Basically too many christmas runes were released at the same time (double), also if you release a lot of runes you need to give one free limited christmas reskin away with EVERY pack, so if you buy a megabox you get 30 limited christmas reskins with it, which is only around 2x of each rune anyway. I mean how much do u want people to spend.

Similar with the other 3 limiteds per expansion. having to buy a megabox for 50 usd to get two, sucks. of course these runes will go up in price and be unattainable now, something most players hate and will moan about. need a cheaper way of getting them. I get it you hook collectors into buying a megabox just to get the limited runes.. you need to decide whether limiteds should be this rare, people like limited runes, people dont like unattainable.

NON TRADABLE RUNES SUCK,

they should not be in the game. Runes for campaigns should be tradable, should be given away more than once. should be available for everyone who buys the campaign and can at any time, not just people who buy / play a campaign in the 5 minutes its available to give you the rune. Collectors want 2x of each rune, please remember that.

Collectors are being stiffed - no real way of collecting 2 of everything, poxnora may be the most expensive game on the fricking internet. Expansions are so frequent.

Pattn199 likes this.
  5. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

why didnt dog make every rune good and runnable rather than making most all of them suck.. they went the wrong way. if a rune is unique through stats and number and combination of abilities etc then there will always be a use for it in someones unique bg. also imo too many abilities were removed or poor choices in which were removed, some signature abilities even. Runes just lost their roles too... changing ranges of champions etc just sucks, it just guts the runes and people have to play them different, there wasnt anything wrong with some of these runes to start with. buff not nerf.

6. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

in racing , everone has exactly same car , sme HP same everything,, as far as access to better engineering, ,, that's a bit differnet ,, thats like me complaining that even tho I have all the cards,, I cant win cuz I dont have tinydragons skill...again. its not the samething,, were talking about tangible items...
    as far as this issue affecting playerbase,, I said one of many things,,, look im not joining a new game where I already know that I cant have access to what other players have,and are using, , powerful or not.., plain and simple..thats just my personal opinion, im sure others feel different.,,
    the fact that the cards are colored differently is collectable enough,, and I do have car collections and other stuff,, so I can. appreciate a collectable TCG,, but when its to the point where I camt. have a card unless I give up half my collection to a 3rd party,, thats a problem for me in any video game,, let alone a struggling one...
    again , I dont believe anyones opinion is rigjt or wrong..just how I feel..
    gameplay first,,, tcg second.

7. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

I'm just gonna leave this here
    Unobtainability is a reality in any collectable esque game. Other examples like this are more extreme. But still relevant in its nature.

Pattn199 likes this.
  8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

It's very evident too me with the names showing up that we do indeed need reskins of these runes. To sit here and argue that fan faire isn't even strong or doesn't tip the scales is ridiculous. Your right guys +7 hp +2 damage and 1 ap for every k'thir deployed champ isn't good at all. Damage hp and ap aren't the strongest aspects of pox or anything.

The idea of still catering to a select few that have the limited runes is silly, so let's cater to like 20 total players instead of capitalizing on that revenue with 1,000 players. To those of you saying well the heavy collectors " might quit" well thank god then, most heavy collectors are just hard-core sharkers that have preyed on new players for years I say good riddance.

Re-releasing certain limited edition runes will only benefit the community and the owls. The fact that people wanna hang onto the past so much is part of pox's problem and always has been.

I myself have over 82% of the old and new limiteds and I want them re-released to the player base simply because I can use my brain to think ahead instead of behind. What I would like to see is a fair playing ground for all players, so either

A) Remove them from ranked and only allow in casual
    B) Re-release the runes which won't make the limited edition runes any less valuable
    C) Cater to the select few die hard sharks that have the cash too blow on virtual cards they don't even own

Limited edition runes will always be extremely valuable, why don't you guys see this still ? Limited edition runes are still just that, limited edition runes. Those same limited edition runes will never be in the game again.

If you don't think limited edition runes will still be as valuable please take a look at poxbox, their is a reason ud doom bringers are still going for 1.6 million compared to their legendary counter parts.

Get your heads out of your arses veteran players, the world't not about you and either is pox.

bambino likes this.
  9. bambino

a foil,, or rare colored card being unobtainable is one thing,,, there out for a LIMited time...but an actual ability,, I dont k ow of any thing that allowes that,, been playing mtg over 20 yrs.

I too have a fair number of lims,, so im really not speaking on my behalf,, more for the game in general,, and super71 had a point about lims. in which they still seem just as coveted, , forgable counterpart or not...

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    super71 likes this.
  10. super71

Yeah except magic the gathering is a card game where you actually own said cards, pox is virtual you own nothing here it all belongs to the owls. Also magic is known for re-releasing old cards with different art and selling them, that's why they are still around for the most part and have kept older players and gotten new players.

11. bambino

mtg uses a standard,, and the current release being the standard, allows for cards from only that release to be used in completive/rank play,,and all cards are obtainable during that period.
    so if u wanna look for a black lotus fine,, but u cant use it in rank play,, thats how it works in mtg..
    in pox,, every card from every exp is allowed (bar a few) ,, so just about all of it. even 8 year old cards... so not having a black lotus thats not even allowed to be used is a bit different then say a guardians treasure then can be used for the life of the account, no?

12. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

They are still around because MtG is actually a good game. Also what does that have to do with accessibility?

1) Standard isn't the only format being played
    2) The whole point was about accessibility, usefulness is a while different story
    3) In all honesty, MtG is kind of a silly example for your side of the argument. In real life, if you want to make a "professional class" deck, no matter if in standard, extended or whatever you are not going to go to the store and buy packs until you have that (Mythic) Rare x4 that you happen to need. You are going to go to starcrappygames or some similar site and buy the cards from there. And it will likely cost you a good chunk of money. I don't really see how that's different from how it works here when it comes to rare things.

.. actually, wait.. I get it. You also hate those stupid untradable runes with a passion! Yeah the fact that some runes can't be traded is incredibly stupid. Everything else is fine in my books. Even if it's stupidly rare and/or pricey.

13. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

There is literally no justifiable reason that a legendary version shouldn't be released of limited runes that actually see play. Sure, keep the limited version hard to obtain so collectors can jerk themselves off with it, but make it so that people can access the freaking rune without getting trade sharked. Fan faire sees play at the top levels; that is undeniable. So if I wanted to play KF at the meta level and I wasn't ballballer and couldn't just get loaned the rune from people, what, I'm just shiit out of luck? What possible sense does that make? Things like this (especially for kthir forest) are a flashback to when thorn collection and bullseye were auto and very hard to obtain. It meant that playing at the top level had arbitrary constraints that existed for no reason that involved actually playing the game. Obviously fain faire is not as auto as TC and bullseye were at the time, but the general principle still remains.

My word is final.
    You can all go home now.

BurnPyro, super71 and bambino like this.
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Though, actually, there are objective measurements of power. If Pox Harbingers cost 150 Nora and remained otherwise unchanged for example, they would not be run (or at least not well) in competitive BGs.

I'm not saying that's a good solution mind you, and one may as well simply ban them from ranked play before doing that, but the issue of "is it good enough" does matter, and can be manipulated to an extent.

In all my decades of experience in playing numerous CCGs, both physical and digital card-games, re-releases/re-colors/whatever have never been an issue in terms of "ruining" the value of limited edition cards. In some cases, it has increased their value (more awareness of the limited edition, prefered art, etc.)

Considering that Standard, Extended, and Legacy are the ones that Wizards actually supports in terms of tournaments and league play... (and Black Lotus is banned in Legacy)

And even then, Vintage, or whatever still has numerous cards banned or heavily restricted in usage per deck, including Black Lotus and Recall etc.

(QQ, But I only play with House rules!, yeah but then you're not playing League or official tournaments are you buddy?)

super71 likes this.
  15. super71

Hopefully saner minds will prevail, and eventually we will see legendary versions. I'm starting to think it might be like a legal issue with them re-using old art from people ? @Senshu what is the actual reason this has never been done, i'm curious what the owls take is on it ? We have talked about it but nobody ever really stated why it hasn't been done, other than " we don't wanna make collectors mad".

I'm the over the top collector I own every dragon ballz card and yugioh card since release, I would not be mad if my limited runes were made more accessible to the masses.

16. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

The reason is because Gedden is smarter than that to give in to your petty whining.

You say other people have flawed logic, yet your reasoning of why Fan Faire is strong is flawed. Quit thinking you're always right when you're not.

17. Runegod

Runegod I need me some PIE!

Owls please make this happen I wanna buy myself some meat pies and shattered giving trees whatever that is.

I don't always agree with him but he seems pretty on point on this and a few other things as of late, you attacking his character and insulting him constantly make me believe more and more that he's right. Fan faire seems strong because of the stats it gives, which is pretty much what he said why people use it. Why would you say fan faire is strong if not for the stats ? Sounds to me like your a bit of an angry fan at this point, because he seems to be getting some decent attention from some credible individuals lately.

I'm honestly curious though what makes fan faire strong if not for the stats, is fascinate that good or does fan faire give something else ?

18. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

It's the stats. The Fascinate is good only on the right champ. Also the champion getting Fascinate doesn't get stats (that's something to keep in mind). The spell is really good mid to late game ONLY if enough champs benefit from it. Typically if 3 to four chàmps benefit from it you are already winning the match but that's just typically.

Runegod likes this.
  19. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Fan Faire is strong, but his analysis of the rune isn't even correct. The champs don't even benefit the AP clause, and it's an AoE effect. My problem is the way he described it.

He's attacking people for their "flawed logic" but he can't even read a rune's description correctly.

~

I don't have a problem with Super, I have a problem with how he's "always right" even when he's wrong. I have admitted that I was wrong before, but in his mind he's always right. The second someone backs him up he immediately goes "Oh see XXX agrees". If he doesn't want people to shut him down he should learn how to argue his point without insulting and be more mature.

Burcho likes this.
  20. Runegod

Runegod I need me some PIE!

Oh I see what your saying, thanks for the explanation.