Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, Apr 24, 2014.

1. PoxZuo

PoxZuo Administrator Octopi

More champ examples! The revamp is still underway, and we just wanted to show you the current state of a couple champions. The stats and abilities are not final!

Deep Elf Masochist had a major overhaul. She has less ability bloat and does what she's supposed to do better.
    [​IMG]
    Deep Elf Masochist's ability choices:

Exertion (2) cost 4
    Calcify cost 4 - Default ability
    Drive cost 5

Reflection (3) cost 6
    Reflection (4) cost 8 - Default ability
    Reflection (5) cost 10

Here's is an example of a champ with more than 5 abilities. It's animated to show how the ui will work.
    [​IMG]
    Firemaw's ability choices:
    Lava Storm cost 14
    Death Nova: Lava (3) cost 7 - Default ability
    Death Nova: Lava (4) cost 10
    Tunnel Lava (3) cost 7
    Scorn cost -5 - Default ability
    Vulnerability: Frost cost -6

Next week will be a post discussing the updates to racial abilities!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Gnomes, Tarth, SPiEkY and 13 others like this.
  2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Interesting. Will be looking forward to the racial update. I feel as though the upgrades should be put on top instead of on bottom, since everything else being stagnant, the only thing to really interact with/change would require additional button presses?

Chemical22, Xinde, DarkJello and 4 others like this.
  3. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Can voils all please keep sonar!

Woffleet and Paper Skull like this.
  4. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I like it. The new stats interest me too.

Agree with KTCAOP on the ability side of things.

Any chance in the same area as the "illustrated by" we could have "expansion" as well?
    like: "Expansion: Rise of Serkan (Core)"

GabrielQ likes this.
  5. Tfguy

Tfguy Devotee of the Blood Owl

Still like what I see. Well done Owls. :) But overall faction interactions will be key after the revamp is done.

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Looks great. I agree with everyone else, any static abilities should be listed below the select-able, that way you don't have to scroll to make changes.

7. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

So there is one default ability that can be exchanged for any of the other 2 options (which actually can increase or decrease its nora cost), but they can not be cross changed (calcify for any rank of reflection)? EDIT: Another example that would made more sense, would be the death nova - lava for vuln frost, for extra cheapness on firemaw)

Also, does this mean most upgrades would more likely be variations on ranks? Burn 1, 2 or 3, or reflection 3, 4 or 5?

Interesting.

8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

How are Avatars going to be upgraded? They currently can select 3 of 4 upgrades.

9. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Thanks for the new update, any news is good news right now. Keep it coming!

10. only

only Active Member

I suppose DEF won't be mainstreamed as a stat. Tough still exists. what does it exactly do besides being DEF on steroids? helps to counter some non targettable dmg? I thought that's the reason why it existed. well, it could easily become DEF (designwise).

I think it would be easier if you provide us a preview without upgrade taken and it would be easier to see. like the current 78 is default + upgrades or are upgrades already taken into this 78 price?

Vulnerability: Frost will still exist after revamp? just great!!!

so far it's the 3rd preview from 3 and it's going worse and worse...

11. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Vuln: Frost is optional here, enabling you to take firemaws cost down by 6.

12. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

If I understand it correctly, a level 1 champ comes with the default upgrade abilities. At level 2, you can change the first upgrade to something else. At level 3, you can change both upgrades, if you want. So, yeah, the default upgrades are factored into the base price. This system makes upgrading a champ optional but allows a champ to be customized as it levels up.

DarkJello likes this.
  13. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

14. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Tough does tend to block a lot more than DEF ever would.

If you watch the animated image, the upgrades are taken into account.

I agree on Vulns. They don't function as they should. One powerful Frost champion would murder Firemaw. A Vuln should be something like "When this champion takes frost damage, it takes an additional 2 damage". That way vuln is more impactful based on the amount of frost effects in play, not the impact of a single strong frost effect.

Vuln could even be "When this unit takes frost damage, it becomes chilled X" and then have 3 ranks doing chilled 3/4/5. This method would be based around the unit taking additional damage, but the additional damage is regulated and spread out.

15. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Looks great. A tiny bit nervous about the scrolling, I really hope this will only be the case for very few champions. If it becomes excessive due to power creep again, then this could actually make things even worse. But hopefully it will be a big enough motivation to keep most champs at five abilities or less. :)

Woffleet likes this.
  16. Woffleet

So now Deep elf Maschoist is a armed grunt that grows stronger if you target her?

17. Woffleet

18. only

only Active Member

so in the given example of DEMasochist, I'm able to take Exertion (2) instead of Reflection (4) for the -4 nora (resulting in 74)?

19. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

To be fair, she always was intended to be a champion who grows stronger whenever she gets hit. Enrage, blood frenzy, tormented and so on. In that sense, is a decent re-design. I would prefer if stuff like tormented and reflection were exchanged for enrage and antagonist, but I will wait till the full revamp to evaluate her power and call for buffs or adjustments.

BTW, thanks owls, for previewing the DE Masochist.

20. only

only Active Member

suggestion for vulner: frost is just plain bad, but the mechanic you provided is kinda cute.