Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

PoxBox is locked to 10% profit rate, which is not sharking. Yes, its stupid that you have to go to a 3rd party, but currently thats part of the balance. As for not getting a legendary, your chance for that after two boxes is 35%. Still annoyingly high, and I wish this randomness would be deleted. Nevertheless a better tradeoff statistically than it was before.

I agree on daily progression, too, the difference between packs and boxes should be eliminated; boxes should solely have a slight rebate, not a guaranteed exo. Instead, a (set, not expansion) box should contain shards for one exo, and a pack a tenth of that.

2. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I don't think that there isn't a problem, I'm just not going to hold them to the fire for it yet. Like I said, the priority isn't the accessibility right now and I'm fine with that. It would be different if we were pretending to try and get new players playing the game.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

That would be solved by selling some premade decks with basics for some gold.

Zenity likes this.
  4. only

only Active Member

insanely high token prices escalate the whole problem even further.

super71 likes this.
  5. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I do believe that that's the point of the new upgrade system, to mitigate the need for leveling.

6. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

I can't see how new players will stick around with this system. When a new player comes into this game he can only play with premade decks, which works out for a while. But sooner or later every player will want to tinker with his deck, adding a rune there and removing one there.

Now he has three choices:

- spend money. Which is not very likely if he has only been playing for a little while.

- farm for a box. Which takes a lot of time and you might not even get anything good (my last TWO boxes only got me 140k in PB, which is a playset of one semi-expensive rune). Also all the while he will farm for a box, he will be getting NOTHING, beeing forced to just farm single player all day.

- quit. Which is what most will do.

The old system was so superior for newer players it's not even funny. You looked up the gold store, saw what had the biggest value for your time investment and you farmed for it, while buying a few runes for your deck here and there. And yet all the time veterans were complaining about it. And what do we have now? Something even worse.

I realize that Owls are focusing on the revamp right now, but saying that this is ''the best'' model of Pox is just so wrong. It is good only for older players, nothing about it is good for newer ones.

7. Boozha

Vaayshan, your praise of the old system is unwarranted. The best ivnestment was to farm 150 k gold, which is a bit more than 30 k, making the steps even larger. The equivalent to buying smaller runes is now buying packs, still a better deal.

8. Vaayshan

Vaayshan Member

I don't praise the old system. I think it was terrible. But still I got all the faction staples from those 200g packs, farmed for a 20k rune twice and with some packs got a little trade fodder. Then I started to farm for a 150k rune, while being able to trade what I already had to improve my deck and I bought some staples along the way to 150k. While I got to 150k I had three playable decks with which I could stand my own in exo league.

With this system I can't set my eyes on a fixed goal. I farm for a CHANCE of something. And if a new player will want to start playing ranked as soon as possible and farm packs. What do you think will hapen if he will get a 3k rare 5 times in a row?

9. Boozha

Statistics say you probably won't. I agree, though, that we shouldn't rely on statistics to do that and make pack value more consistent. Imo, by packing one tenth of an exo in shards into packs and one exo in shards into a box, and removing the chance element.

10. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Have the devs said anything about special sales that include Legendaries? It could be in their plans for accessibility. It seems like people are getting upset when the devs could have a plan (that they don't want to share right now).

11. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading right now. Ragic actually pointing out real flaws of pox (not just spewing out random unrealistic monetize models) and all others saying that current system is good for pox. Maybe and just maybe current system would be good 5 years ago, when gaming was just for nerds and everyone was true hardcore grinding in all those mmos. But current gaming market isn't like that, people don't like grindfests. Pox should adapt current successful monetizing models which are appropriate for casual everyday player, who can spend like few bucks in a weak not thinking that's a big money. And pox shouldn't be like current, oh you're new player - grind for few months, then play russian roulette and then learn whole trading scene or spend shitloads of cash and get nothing usefull.

12. Chemical22

Chemical22 I need me some PIE!

I agree with the scroll concern.

Although I really like the sprite image on the right of the design, I feel that it would be much more important to place the upgrades separately in the area. This allows a visual distance of upgrades and base abilities allowing for better at-a-glace management of abilities. Providing you keep the abilities under control, it will prevent the scrolling. Shrinking the sprite may still allow for all items to remain on the layout.

All important items should be visible at a glace at all times. That's just good UI.

13. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

well if the revamp is supposed to undo years of powercreep, I hope the PDC is giving you guys the full list which includes far more runes than just the champs. Do you guys have an archive of all the balance patches that have been released by SOE? Does anyone? Anyway, seeing what was nerfed may not tell you why it was nerfed, but it would at least focus your attention on certain runes so past problems don't resurface.

14. Alfiriel

Alfiriel New Member

I am sorry the old system was way better than this one... way better ...because it had way better progression... why ?

Sure it was most efficient to farm 150k but... for new players that was unnecessary. It was and is BS that the whole system is based around a third party tool. If that is the owls practice...this should at least be promoted on the MAIN START SITE.... yes I am serious. if you build your f2p around a third party tool every new player needs to know about it instantly...now why is the new system worse.

Because for a new player that knew PB he did not farm 150k. Last year I introduced a friend, he decided he likes mogas, he wants to play mogga. So what did he do? He farmed enough for a rare, than he looked up which rare had the highest exchange rate on Poxbox, got it traded it in, than got as many commons and uncommons or cheap rares as he could. After a while his basic deck was completed, and he concentrated on getting updates for it.

But now....? My Girlfriend wanted to start, after 10 games she asks me,...and where are my own cards.... I told her she should farm for a box ...she looked at the price...and quit. Easy as that. This game needs

1.) Common or Faction Starters that are affordable in gold
    2.) common/Uncommon Boosters
    3.) Boosters that feature only the faction you want

this was you still keep trade and forge intact, still let PB work and get new players hooked. Easy as that, together with the avatar/standard combo this is worth it.

Also each new player should have a descent chance on every card, so Harbringer and Doombringer should be given out as reward adt certain lvls reached, maybe also a random common every lvl a random uncommon every 3 a random rare every 5 a random exo every 10 a random legend every 25. Thois can be of all factions and hook the player into trading and building :) Without proving everything he needs without spending money

Galvantula likes this.
  15. Boozha

You ARE aware that a booster costs a tenth of boxes? You are mistaken about progression.

As for your idea about harbs and doomies, I'll just take that as a joke. Becuase it is.

16. MadCom

MadCom Active Member

wow, you are really a tradeshark :D you not only trade just for profit, but also don't want any easy way for new players to get powerful runes to be implemented :D

17. Boozha

I own zero harbingers and zero doombringers. Stop calling me a shark, shark.

18. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

(My answers in red).

I have some doombringers, but zero harbs. They should give us a crack at them, but not make it super easy. Again, your 1st ideas are win.

19. hsssh

hsssh The King of Potatoes

I certainly do agree with the argument that Poxnora is too complex at the moment and that things require toning down. Honestly what I think needs to happen is a) Reduce amount of abilities b) rewrite some descriptions to make them clearer and rework stuff thats hard to grasp (Barbs racial for example).

But what is exactly happening here with this new upgrade system?

My first question. How many different builds each champion currently has?
    Lets try some simple numbers. Currently each champion has 4 possible upgrades (lets call them A, B, C, D), we pick 2.
    Current system gives us: AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD. Six.
    Now lets look at new upgrade system. Masochist has 6 possible upgrades (A, B, C | D, E, F) divided in two brackets, we pick 2.
    New system gives us: AD, AE, AF, BD, BE, BF, CD, CE, CF. Nine.

So we are going from six possible builds for a champion to nine in order to reduce complexity... I'm sure that someone is going to try to explain how nine is less than six.

Next thing that pops out is each ability having nora cost. For starters I'll make an example with Masochist again.
    Lets assume I pick Exertion and Reflection(3), my added nora cost is 10 nora.
    Some other player picks Drive and Reflection(5), his added nora cost 15 nora.
    Same champ, slightly different abilities, 5 nora difference.
    Whats the big deal you might ask? In every strategy game timing is very important thing. How fast can you play your runes? Will you be able to play X on second turn if you played Y on your first turn? And so on. Abilities having nora cost is going to heavily influence what we pick and likely result in auto-upgrades on all runes.
    Funny thing, try to calculate min/max nora increase for Firemaw. 20 nora gap.
    I'm also sure that new players will have absolutely no problems with champions going from six no nine possible builds and each of those nine builds having different nora cost. No problems at all.

Honestly it feels that as far as complexity goes game will go one step backwards, two to the left and two forward.

This reminds me a bit of time when Sokolov removed bunch of races, classes and merged some abilities to reduce complexity. Then every new expansion was full of new races and abilities. Felt rather counterproductive and so does this. If you want to reduce complexity then just do it and move on, there is no need to introduce new complexities at the same time.

20. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Being able to buy individual runes was much better but at the same time the new system would be okay if it was faction specific. Not many people wanna save the gold for a box to get runes for the faction they don't want or even play. On top of that the chances of getting the rune you want right now from a pack or a box is extremely lucky. They need to make more theme decks or make faction specific packs.