Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, Apr 24, 2014.

1. only

only Active Member

if they're going to "underdo" powercreep, it means they want to change the current gamepace and META strategies. I wonder to what extention they would do this "underdo"? isn't the current powerlevel of runes somehow wrong? is META not rich enough? what current champion could be considered "golden middle of balance" so we know what pace of the game to expect?

2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would expect a return to the pace of the original Pox. Back when 13 speed was hard to achieve, and 15 was unheard of except for Mountain Garu in a full faction KF deck. That would be the equivalent of 7 and 8 with today's calculations. Now people are very reluctant to play anything under a 6, unless everything else about it is insanely powerful. Fonts have even been moved on maps to adjust for the speed creep. I for one would like to see the maps returned to their original condition once speeds are brought back to normal.

3. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Just saw someone said this whoops
    If the speed was decreased across all the runes and then they put the fonts back closer to shrines wouldn't that be reversing what they just did....

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

From a movement perspective, yes, but there would still be less attacks/abilities used since there would be less AP overall to spend.

5. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

The changed upgrade system wasn't designed to reduce complexity, it was designed to mitigate the need for upgrade tokens since people were complaining that it was impractical to build new decks with the increased cost of the tokens. I don't know how racials are changing but comments that they've made on @Moles1909's twitch channel imply that they're taking another look at those racials. Obviously we haven't seen anything with a racial yet so we can't exactly say how that'll look yet.

As far as reduction of number of abilities. Per champ it's clearly gone down from the examples we've been given. As for the total number in rotation, that can't be said until all the revamp has been released or they tell us otherwise.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    DarkJello likes this.
  6. Protick

Protick I need me some PIE!

I have not read the entire thread, so I apologize beforehand if this has been asked and answered in previous pages.

Will I have the ability to drop all upgrades on my rune? For instance, DEM is at 78 nora with Calcify and Reflection 4. Can I untick both the upgrades to reduce her nora cost to 66 or am I forced to take 2 upgrades at all times?

PS: Reflection is way overcosted. 8 nora for Reflection 4 while Calcify is at 4 nora? Come on..

7. Authyrtyr

I don't believe that they've said either way but I believe that you have to take an ability for each slot. Don't think of Reflection 5 having that nora cost. Think of Reflection 5 having a cost of +2 and Reflection 3 having a cost of -2.

8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I believe you have to choose the upgrade(s). Without it, efficiency builds would be very popular and everyone would just run 60 nora Garu Den Mothers.

9. Alfiriel

Alfiriel New Member

Which has zero to do with my post, if you wanna keep new players they need to be constantly able to achieve something and feel they can reach their goal...random boosters for dozens of games played that require to be traded again through a third party system are a terribble way to do so ...or better... the complete opposite.

I introduced some people to the game in different states of this szstem and got their feedback so I have a valid opinion on this. Also yes this includes that every plyer should have theoretical access to every rune and if not the rune should be nerfed to shoebox and be just a nice gimmick.

What i propose gives the new player around 10 to 15 bucks in runes till lvl 99 everything else stays the same with the exception that you can determine more percise what you want when buying boosters, reducing the need for third party trade and the scammer risk. Explain to me how exactly that would be a bad thing, instead of posting 2 meaningless sentences that do not in anyway contribute to the discussion?

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Actually it is buy 9 packs, get the 10th free.

11. Authyrtyr

If you give new players some free runes (up to a point) while this would greatly help new players get into the game how do you prevent experienced players from abusing the system with multiple accounts? The only solution that comes to my mind is to make them untradeable but that sounds a lot like the public deck system (admittedly formatted in a different way). The difference is that public decks are already structured into a functioning deck whereas your system asks the player to figure out what the hell they're doing from the beginning. Not to say that the current public decks are actually good, and properly balanced, but that's the purpose of that system.

12. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Did we ever find out what will happen to avatars?

13. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

No, the only difference is that public decks cannot be edited so the cards are not "yours". The structuring is not a difference, because there is nothing stopping you from providing the player with a structured deck of basic cards (basic cards being untradable cards).

This absolutely needs to happen. At least at some point the player needs to start out with a deck of basic cards, which they can modify step by step as they buy booster packs. It's a million times better to have a playable deck and the chance to pull a card that you can improve your deck with in every booster you buy, then to ask a player to trade until they can build a deck from scratch. As far as barrier to entry is concerned, we are currently starting players out with a baby step (public decks) and then proceed to place them in front of the great wall of china (building your first playable custom deck).

14. Authyrtyr

If the cards are tradeable how do you prevent abuse?

15. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

the cards Hearthstone gives you for leveling up are account bound (meaning cant be crafted). Pox could award account bound runes for leveling (and campaigns) and this wouldn't impact the precious market.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    Galvantula, DarkJello and Authyrtyr like this.
  16. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I have nothing against more specific boosters, but you are suggesting too many and too expensive runes for free. Harbingers, for example, are nigh inaccessible, and considering they are not particulary strong, I see no reason to not have them as collectors items. I suppose I'm not big on talking right now because I already stated my ideas elsewhere, so I'm mostly down to commenting now.

17. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I was talking about untradable cards and referring to the part of your post that talked about untradable cards.

18. Authyrtyr

Hmm... ok. They would need to be account bound. Probably have them pre-assembled into decks to help out new players. Maybe with a simple tutorial explaining why the deck is structured like it is to help new players. For example, Diablo 3 has function called "elective mode". By default each hotkey has a set of abilities that are allowed to be mapped there. Once you've played for a while you can enable elective mode which removes that restriction. Maybe have similar slots allocated in the newbie deck. For example, 5 slots allocated for cheap beaters, 3 allocated for utility champs, etcetera. Then once they have a handle on some basic deck structure the first deck they try to build beyond that has those restrictions removed. Very vague idea, just brainstorming some thoughts I had in reaction to @Dagda's point.

19. Steelation

Steelation New Member

I am just going to copy-paste (with a few edits) one of my posts from another thread. Had I read this one before, I would have posted it here instead since it is more intune with the current discussion on this thread.
    ------
    Here is some food for though.

Why not make ALL runes account bound, but add in a system that allows you to trade copies of your runes that expire with time.
    Copies can be traded for gold, they expire based on rarity and a card of a particular rarity on an account can only have so many copies of itself at one given time.

This could completely remove all this horrid scamfests that is become a core aspect of Poxnora, while at the same time encourage more trading of (copied) cards to new players and support the game's growth. And it would (with much joy) sever the feet from all the tradesharks and scammers who are now left with a whole collection of bound cards that they can only copy and pray that someone exceptionally stupid comes along to buy cards which die down on a ticker.

And as a tradeoff to OWL, players who get to use copies will be more inclined to purchase packs to keep and use the permanent variant of the rune (in their custom build BG) once they are left with the lingering taste of the expired rune. Maybe the marketplace can put out weekly or monthly batches of temporary cards that can be bought and tried out with gold before a player can fork out money or time grinding to get the permanent variant. Make all the runes attainable by crafting, some a massive time sink no doubt, but remove all perceptions of having the strongest cards only attainable from random chances at gambling from packs and boxes. This would not only score brownie points with players who can see you (Owls) as being more generous in your F2P model but make players more inclined to spend money on your "ethical" game buying credits, I know I would and I also would never pay a dime for blatant P2Win models like SOE's...which you are still running on on some extent.

This system will not directly affect sales of Owl credits off the bat, but will add a robust gold sink system while putting forth the clear indicator that all cards can be acquired with enough time for the patient folks or with money for the impatient ones thus encouraging sales but not in a IN YOUR FACE way. Buying temporary runes from marketplace line up for gold, trading copies for gold, maybe using gold + shards to rune forge legendary cards burn off the currency while pushing people forward to replace the lost coins with playing more which is never a bad thing about a thriving game. Packs, boxes, random draws using both gold or credits is a horrible move though, the idea is to entice the player to buy enough of packs while dangling a carrot of exotics and chance legendaries, but with enough heartburn for not getting cards that are worthwhile even after spending $500+ or 200k+ gold...it would take a player of great conviction to not uninstall and forget completely about poxnora.

But at the end of the day, if poxnora is ever going to get a second wind, there needs to be a complete re-haul of the purchase and procurement of cards and not only rune balance, CP system, etc. Dump the garbage SOE model of pay to win, gamble packs, gated powercreeps and encouragement of 3rd party handlers/sites for trades.

20. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Since when is poxnora's core aspect becomes a horrid scamfests... I'm guessing its since that Astamir guy got scammed and post it on the forums... It rarely happens btw... I for once, haven't been scammed at all in a span of 6 years.

How will it NOT directly affect sales of owl credits off the bat.. This is directly affecting it IN YOUR FACE way. . . .

By pushing gold-purchased time-expiring runes into the market, you'll be diminishing demand for real runes, which are tradable. If this is the case, people will use the free runes (lets say 30-days expiry date on a LEG, EXO, LIM, wtvr) for say 1 month. They will then use another free rune that will enable them to run X theme the next month. If this happens every month, would it be fair to say that people will stop purchasing $$$ from OWLs and will only grind grind grind and purchase gold-options???

If you want to argue that you assume people will get "enticed" and buy it, seeing from how the community reacts to a price change defines our community as price-sensitive and "stingy". Its fair to say that the majority "will not be enticed and buy it" but possibly abusing the mechanism to free-play the legendary runes in a rotational manner, make a new account, transfer the common,uncommon, rare runes, RINSE AND REPEAT.

How is this not directly affecting sales. . . .

What I Believe Would Be a Good F2P Model:
    Simply, put incentives for people to play, get levels, get gold, get wins.

Level: (Experience needed to gain level should be 10x-15x more than current):
    Level would be used to unlock certain Packs, Boxes, Shards, Golds, and runes of your theme focus (this can be used from OWLz's data pool from players, if I play X amount of times using Y theme, or theme-based, or faction-based, will be rewarded: A, B, C).

First Tier 10-30 level: get free Exo every 10 level
    Second Tier 31-60 level: get free Exo every 10 level, and another avatar and Banner at lv 60
    Third Tier 61-90 level: get free Exo every 5 level, in addition to a Legendary at lv85
    Final Tier 91-99 level: get super-Gold bonus from 91-94, Legendary at 95, super-Gold/Boxes from 96-98. And a LIMITED rune at 99.

At level 99, accumulated experience of 10-15x of what the current Leveling rate is now. . . you will have gotten:
    6 Exotics of similar theme/faction to what you commonly play
    1 Avatar of your choice, and its banner (to let you start playing Split decks)
    2 Legendaries
    1 Limited rune
    this would be the F2P model.

Deck Deviation ratio:
    How far you deviate from the meta while performing in a specific segment. Monthly announcements on the person with the most deviated BG from the meta, and prizes. This will be the incentives for people to DEVIATE from meta. Say, the prize is 1000 Gold/month for highest DDR in Rare, Exotic, and Limited league.

Match/day ratio:
    High match-to-day ratio would allow you to also play with high match-to-day ratio opponents. The higher your MTD ratio is, the higher the gold you accumulate during a game. (prone to abuse of players working together, but it is time-consuming to abuse it, so up to the abusers to abuse it and waste time)

Gold:
    to purchase Packs & Boxes (Legendary 7.5%, Exo 12.5% [guaranteed 1]) higher rate to get LEGENDARY.... still not guaranteed to maintain its rarity and quality.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014