Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by PoxZuo, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Steelation

Steelation New Member

If you have been playing for 6 years then you cannot be oblivious to the fact that, more than one "Trader" would offer one / a wide variety of junk runes for maybe a single rune of high worth. Maybe throw in a few sweet words or misleading BS in the trade description. If the Trader is lucky enough to dupe the player, then he a) goes and brags to his other Trader friends about the deal, b) trades out the rune for xxx rune to someone else, c) trades it out in poxbox for xxx rune, d) tries to sell it for real money or e) a combination of above mentioned points. If you dont consider duping new players for their valued runes a scam, then you might want to brush up your definition of the word. And for your information, thought I have not remained playing Octopi or SOE's poxnora for a long time at an end, I have seen more than enough such scam trades occur or atleast the usual suspects trying their luck at such bogus deals. Dont know what you have been looking at for 6 years and I do not intend to come off sounding rude, but you should have just thrown a gander at the trades when poxnora changed hands and seen the types of deals that were being pushed onto returning players' renovators. Those birds arent really That good, but some old players trading a single common rune for them is...quite the load of crap honestly. And not everyone who get scammed feel the compulsion to come post here on the forums, in case you are using that as your gauge to the problem. But you can, by yourself, keep an eye on the trades going on to get an idea of how rampant the problem actually is.

Those "30-days expiry date" are YOUR words, not mine. I was thinking a Much shorter renting period for legendaries and anything from a week to three days for the more common ones. Easy counter- put in a longer timer on the permanent runes before they can be replicated for trade and problem solved. One wont be able to flood the market with the higher end runes, or deck out xxx alt with multiple runes. And throwing in a hard cap number, which limits "rented" runes to only complete a fixed percent of slots in a BG, would ensure that a player can not deck a full BG out with ONLY temp runes. And you seem to be exploring the hyperboles friend, my whole reason to put in temporary/rented variants of runes is to create a massive gold sink, which would prevent players from dumping all accumulated gold into packs and boxes but rather trying out rune combinations and BGs. If they choose to grind grind grind, like you say, or put down some money for credits to buy packs...how is it any different from what they are doing right now? But by having the option to try out a rented expiry prone version of a rune, a NEW player can get the feel of the rune and perhaps fork down the money to buy the rune from Owl's shop/packs/theme decks/whatever to simplify the current manner of boxes. What many easily forget is that for poxnora, players like to build BGs to try out various gimmicks even if its not the next meta in making. I surely would like to run something unusual, but what stands as a permanent barrier is that I dont have the runes I would like to test unless I put down a butt load of money and pray for it in packs or buy it for someone moocher's site or hope that I get a willing deal for it without the usual "looking for profit/50% PB credits" punchline.

Sure the vets here have seen it all, done it all and most likely have collected them all. But we must move past this current and VERY small community like you say and think about what the game should play like in case, hopefully, there is a massive influx of new players that will keep this game living on. Why would it not be beneficial for players to try out rented runes in custom built BGs before they purchase it? What if Owls gave the option to rent a Harbinger for a week, by either paying a slightly steep amount of gold or a meager fixed amount of credits, would that not mean that they would make money in the long run by players constantly purchasing Harbs to keep it stocked or provide a healthy gold sink which is of paramount importance in a MMO? And as for your fears about people running alts, transferring runes...rinse repeat, if the runes are account bound but only able to be copied in a form that expires in a fixed amount of time and traded...what exactly is the purpose of running alts to farm gold on temporary a BG where you cannot trade runes out from unless its to dole out more time bound copies that expire after a while...?

The only people who would be hurt most with this system are the tradevultures - selling runes for money or being what they are for whatever reason it is that floats their boat and honestly they can go die of thirst in a waterless well for all I care.

2. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

1) Yes ofc there are trades where people would put down bad exos or bad rares just because someone said "exo for exo"... e.g, voil conqueror for voil progenitor (exo-exo)

I always thought that nobody would fall for that. Because you'll be looking at the runes offered in your trade. At least I haven't been the victims of those kinda trades because I always check out the runes offered, so I'm not really sure then.

And as for renovators... trading it for common is really bad.. didn't know that was happening, yeah maybe a trading-lesson Sticky Thread should be there. Agreed then that I have been indeed, oblivious of how easily new players are scammed. Didnt thought that was possible because when I started out I'm always reading stuff to know the runes I'm trading off.

2) Hmmm... nice one... didnt think of that...yeah maybe I was assuming 30 days as a bad design prototype, maybe a shorter-period would be much safer and not as abusable. And good idea on X duration before the permanent runes can be tradable. I would say, Rented runes should be available for play for 7 days, while 2 weeks should be placed as a restriction before any permanent runes can be traded. As an avid trader myself, I have to say that price volatility on runes that are newly released is crazy. This idea would kind of tighten the volatility on rune prices. Nicely thought out. Before I started working, I had all the time to actually make profit out of forecasting which runes will be used in the meta, and the fair value of a rune by comparing it to other runes on its pre-release pricing.

So with those regulations inbound, newer players would basically be:

1) Protected against scammers via locked-runes in the first 2 weeks of getting it, and enabling them to skim the forums and check out any information on the runes with its fair valued price.

2) Not abusable via account-transferring (2w locked, can be easily tracked down due to lower number of transactions possible/month).

3) Allows new players to experiment on runes

However, I am still skeptical onhow new players will be happy with this. The only way I can see this happening and helping new players if there is a promotional use of TRAINING GROUNDS. As of now, you won't be playing against any decent opponents, or decent plays in Training Grounds, and will only experience REAL matches in Ranked Play. But Ranked Play in itself, is a place where new players will get sandbagged by more veteran players.

Newer players have to start hustling themselves to the training grounds and play there to actually create a community where there will truly be a "Training Grounds". IMO, Training Grounds is extremely important.

3. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

The revamp looks very interesting to me. I'm looking forward to it!

My only worry however is many of the more interesting and fun interactions the game offered will be lost in the transition.

4. IceNorth

IceNorth Devotee of the Blood Owl

I think they'll just be different. If one champ has 2-3 roles, one of which has interaction u want, it's likely that interaction/combo will be moved to another, likely shoeboxed champ bringing it to usefulness again.

DarkJello likes this.
  5. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

If this forum was a desert, I'd be crawling along wheezing "water" right now.

Instead, I'm fidgeting and being impatient waiting for the racial change news :(

6. Saka

Saka The King of Potatoes

Man, Boozha DarkJello and Authyrtyr are just trolls in every thread

7. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

We are on page #12, and my last comment was the following on page #10 in r/t ideas by Alfariel that are new player friendly:

"I have some doombringers, but zero harbs. They should give us a crack at them, but not make it super easy. Again, your 1st ideas are win."

Do you have objective proof of your claim? Did I hurt your feelings somehow? Just having a bad day? Thanks for your positivity.

8. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Back on page #9 I was a meaner, and now Saka is getting his revenge.

Behold and lo my evilness:

Saka, to someone else:
    "Lol what strong logic, I will stop replying to you now"

And then I stated:
    "I bet you severely damaged his feelings with your superior ability to say stuff about things in a specific way.

On Topic:
    DoGz be revamping the game. It is dead if they don't go radical. Many will whine and complain no matter what steps they take. Some peeps aint never satisfied. Ever. They got some of my treasure, and will get more in 4-5 days. They will fail or succeed. I don't know which. Just glad they are busting it up cause this game be legit. Savvy?"

--Were you upset that I spent most of the post focusing on the actual topic??

9. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

I do believe that there's a difference between "troll" and "someone who disagrees with you".

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Saka is a troll, no doubt required. He ignores every fact he can, his rhetoric is abysmal and his whining just soulcrushing. Please, for the sake of constructivity, put him on ignore and never even consider taking him off. Talking to him is a waste of time and nerves.

11. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Good call @Boozha

12. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

It is time for another preview or two!

13. Currahee

Currahee The King of Potatoes

In Sonys hands the updates were not fun, at all. From the little I've read this sounds like it's heading back in the right direction. Time will tell.

DarkJello likes this.
  14. xxLordQxx

xxLordQxx I need me some PIE!

I love the direction your going with the few UD runes I have seen up for revamp. Finally the two shown might be playable. I miss the days of runes having specific roles instead now we have a bunch of swiss army knife runes. I also appreciate bring back a little customization to the game. If I want to pay a little more nora to stop from every single fire champ having vuln frost then I should be able to do so. Scroll through the ST champs that amp frost and do frost dmg. Count the number of fire vuln champs. Then do the same for UD. Its not even close to being fair or level.

Thanks again DoG's for bringing Sexy...err...Pox back.

15. Legato

Legato I need me some PIE!

I'm actually mostly excited by the fact that the runes are going to show their sprites.

HalfGodBro likes this.
  16. LordTrigo

LordTrigo New Member

I´d like to say first that the rune Touch of Vindrax doesn´t work correctly (the abbility agressive doesn´t trigger)

And I´m missing some kind of special abbility in the dragons, and not just skywing. I was thinking in something like Dragon Scale or something like that, wich grants some resistance to fire or acid. But please think in something that make dragons really diferent with an unic abbility