Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 3

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Gedden, May 2, 2014.

1. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Talking about BotU, I don't think they need resistance poison from a game mechanic perspective, I don't see why my bg has to be less efficient when playing against FW just because.
    Also, restrictions on drown could go also, with the exeption of flight, if you don't want us to drown something add shielded to it.
    Both this things go in the same line as only's arguments.

2. only

only Active Member

I think it's the reason why Drown (or any other rune) is imbalanced. those restrictions make it. basically, what things are prevented, other non-preventing offenders "pay" for that. I will give you example of Headshrinker Hyaenid. I'm pretty sure it costs 0 nora for Hunter: FS. why? because it's not stable enough. we might argue about its power now since it was powercreeped, but it still singlehandedly cleans the board against FS. think about those times, when he was the most popular SP champion (according to META reports) (on release or so).

Drown restriction could be Flight and 2x2 champion (both are reasonable and interesting). to make it even more interesting and balanced, add clause that a target requires to have 0 AP.

Poisonous Fumes + KB could also be partly explained by FW/constructs and that's why it was floating under radar for a long time.

to increase match ups, we also could go away from "race X", but rather use opposite/friendly. see how Desecrated Earth (Obsidian Venger) affects non-undeads, while it could be against all opposite. or how Adaptive: X works against opposite spells. these are matchup killers. the only time I remember something was done regarding matchups, was Ferren Focus providing Slowed to Arctic so it wouldn't be completely one-sided mechanic.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

That would kill drown, pretty much.

4. Boozha

You forgot non-plant and non-elemental. But yes, it needs a buff on the conditions and a nerf on the damage. I like Razzoriels suggestion a lot.

5. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I would like to see the extra nora and fearless clause removed from BotU. at least the nora part.. i mean flavourwise mogas also eat corpses and they are cannivals.. if zombies have extra nora because they eat flesh then SP should get that too on all their champs..

Plus the only undeads that feed from flesh on FW are the zombies.. the rest are spectres, vampires and ghosts..

Boozha likes this.
  6. Boozha

That, too. It makes little sense to make FW champs blanket better than those of anyone else.

7. only

only Active Member

well, it's not "better" for no reason. BotU exists since FW faction bonus is weaker than others. it's also the reason why witches/creepers/vampires suck (no pun). they don't benefit from faction bonuses and two of them don't have BotU. it might be not exact (or only one reason), but damn that's reasonable to assume so.

8. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I agree. Resistances and Vulnerabilities should be well thought out and tastefully located, not just there because of flavor. (Excuse the taste analogies.) Just because the Undead are Undead doesn't mean they deserve free bonuses against all poison and disease damage. If these were more overarching damage types, then I could totally see it being useful, but as it stands, disease is pretty much only in FW and poison is primarily in FS.

Fire is a good comparison for a healthy damage type. There are a number of units across the game with resistance, vulnerability, and immunity fire. Fire is located in near every faction, except for ST. The one faction that is capable of a fire theme has Caliginous Cauldron, which allows pure fire decks to get around these immunities, at a cost.

Even the Fearless, while relatively minor, is really an unnecessary buff to every FW champ. It just makes certain matchups annoying when you have suddenly useless abilities. The 20% bonus from nora globes is just weird. 18% from nora globes rather than 15%? Why even bother?

Boon of the Undead should be flavorful, clear, and certainly not as prevalent as it is now. If you want FW to have global bonuses, look to the faction bonus, not an individual ability sloppily stuck on almost every champ.

_____

As far as Sonar, I like Sonar. I think it's flavorful, fun, and unique. The vulnerability is on an uncommon enough damage type that it's just flavorful. The evasive is a great buff to survivability. Bats fly.

I do like the suggestions towards the new ability though. I would like to see:
    Holy Sonar Batman!: This unit flies and takes 20% reduced damage from ranged attacks.
    Simple, is a single ability, and does the same job. As much as I love it, Vuln: Sonic is not 100% necessary outside of flavor reasons. Make it small, and pretty.

Zenity likes this.
  9. Boozha

FW bonus is not weaker than others, it is just aimed at dragged out games.

10. Kampel

If you will gift abilities to the entire faction based on a couple themes in there like FS with their acuatics, FW with boon, ST with artic then:
    -All UD champs should resist fire and have soulsift because they live in hell and their souls are recyclable
    -SP's champs should heal when they kill or die. they eat the remains so no flesh is wasted there.
    -IS champs should all be blessed and have iron will because they are religious freaks.
    -SL champs should be inmune to radiation because they are mutants, and should all have "Adaptation" and a camouflage..
    -KF champs should.. huh.. smell good? you know because of the flowers and stuff

My point is, BotU is too spread and covers too many themes on a single ability that it gives adventages where there shouldnt be.
    It should be split for Flesheaters, Blooddrinkers, Soul collectors, and the rest that doesnt eat like skelletons.

11. Redashes

Redashes The King of Potatoes

Can you make harbingers classs or race angle as they look like an angel and they should be? This would help out IS decks and KF ones as well for the angels themes.

12. only

only Active Member

Amphibious and Arctic mostly exist due to terrain restrictions. so ready could be removed from Arctic. some abilities like Tortun's Trade could be consolidated with Amphibious (virtually Waterwalker).

we need to move away from those abilities, which could be explained by game rules.

G'hernbound
    This unit has -3 DMG, -1 SPD unless it is within range of a unit with Overseer: Moga

proposed change: This unit has -3 DMG and -1 SPD unless it is within X spaces of Ghern.

it would mean that all gherns could simply lose this ability. it's not like 4-5- range of Overseer is making a huge difference playwise, but shaving off 1 ability in a healthy wa is a huge thing.

I proposed the same with Bloodless. make Sacrifice (effect, not only spell) to be different rather than crowding champions with these rules.

that's why I loved the addition of "deck limit: X" in that preview. it basically removed 1 ability from Multitude and Unique champions.

we need more solutions like this. this is what revamp should be about.

13. Kampel

Fleasheaters: This champeon has inmunity: Disease, fearless and it gains 10% more nora when it takes a nora globe.
    Blooddrinkers: This champeon has life syphon, vul: poison and resistance: Disease rank 1
    Souleaters/soul collectors: This champeon has Evil aura and Soultap.
    The rest that dosnt need to feed could be called "Reanimated": This champeon is Fearless, cant be possesed and it has Resistance: Psichic 1

This are just examples and i didnt thougt them well but its a reasonable idea.

Boozha likes this.
  14. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

I really liked the new preview, although a 'Big' revamp isn't as needed.
    In my opinion, the revamp could focus only in these 3 things and succeed without having to change meta:

1. Decrease ability complexity creep on champs with 7+ abilities, and remove 'filler' or 'weak presence' abilities, like Regen 1, Damage shield 1, etc.
    2. Shoebox buffs/nerfs on runes that are still weak/offenders after step 1.
    3. A good tutorial. This is the most important thing to improve game accesibility. Hard games can be fun, but being hard doesn't mean it has to be hard to get into. A tutorial clearly explaining common abilities like flying, detection, bodyguard, etc, or at least adding descriptions to abilities like 'only' said, would help a lot.

The ability complexity creep was an offender because of last expansion, but generally it wasn't the main problem, since this game is supposed to be hard and challenging, and a game can succeed being hard. The main problems were: 1 deep learning curve and 2, idea of pay2play, which scared new players.

Good tutorials and decreasing ability complexity creep on offenders help on problem 1. On problem 2... This game is already Free2Play, but many new players don't fully underrstand it, so improving rune accesibility even further (decrease gold prices, cite PoxBox as a trusty trader, etc) would help a lot.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  15. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

Looks like my Bar Brawl Dwarf deck will see some new stuff thats cool!

16. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I agree with the mindset behind these changes. As a Moga player, I would hope that G'hernbound would be changed to 6 spaces, which was the median number for the skill (read: old Overseer rank 2) back when the theme was run in a semi-legitimate fashion. All G'hern could then drop 2 unnecessary abilities: Overseer Moga and Unique, taking into account the Limit parameter in the Rune Manager.

On a related note, most G'hern should be Limit 2 per bg now, since the rune pool has expanded and the SP meta is not at all based around 2x Thrower/Taskmaster any more.

17. mortar78

mortar78 New Member

The NKD nerf really does not even make sense to me. I will have to wait and see what is to come with other champs and racials but I hardly think NKD was a "kitchen sink" ability. I have played ST since the beginning and it feels like to me that the moves are really going to punish people who have been around for a long time and have invested a lot into this game. I understand the power creep is a problem. But I cannot see myself even playing a NKD again for the possibility of blocking or making an opponent for 1 AP and doing 20 percent of what, 11 or so damage. That would be 2 to 3 damage. Unless all opponents are going to have their defenses reduced to 1 or 2 this effectively negates the one advantage this post attempted to say that abilities like poison would still work. This is a really poor reworking of an ability that was not "OP" and had synergy. There are and were still plenty of ways to overcome the NKD ability. I have to say I dislike greatly and I am somewhat concerned about the developments of the game.

18. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

This is what Hearthstone does and should also be done in our game, even more critically as ours is vastly more complex.

This would also be great for abilities like Carouse which generate equipment. For new players, not knowing what a "Pale Brew" does would suck.

19. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

The reason it was a kitchen sink ability was because it was an ability that added other common abilities and did nothing else. Having Block 1 and Dodge 1 was functionally identical to having Nohkan Do 1. Similarly, having Block, Dodge, Arrow Throw, and Riposte was functionally identical to having Nohkan Do 2. The new version is very different, but still has its uses. As they said in a post, 20% is an early number and is totally reworkable. I expect it to be much larger in the final version, 20% is really low. Nohkan Do is clunky, and they're trying to open it up some more. If it turns out badly, they'll change it.

_____

Dota 2 uses a system where you can read additional text about abilities while holding alt. I think it takes up a little less space than Hearthstone's system. Part of why Hearthstone's works so well for it is because their keywords are super short, while ours can be really complex.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    (Green text is bonus text.)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  20. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

Is it just me or do I think Sonic Flight (Voil's racial) feels like a debuff...

Sure, flight and eva 1...but the cost of both compared to a whole wide racial to Vuln: Sonic is too harsh. eva 1 is really useless against ranged champs that hits for 15 dmg, especially since sources of sonic damage usually hits more than 1 champ

offenders: maddening echoes, Snogvie, moraine

And most of all, what would reward me in playing MORE voils other than surge bulwark etc... why not "1 additional rank of Evasive for each Voil within 5 spaces, to a maximum of 3"?