Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 5

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, May 20, 2014.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I never said this.

2. Sokolov

Adding some numbers have never changed people's biases. If numbers and data actually changed people's minds, politics wouldn't be such a mess. Also, Factionalism BEGUN during a time when costs were transparent and is independent of data and numbers.

DarkJello likes this.
  3. Sokolov

This is a great point. It's basically that the base cost has come down over time. Buff and creep pressures have continually pulled overall costs down, but abilities and such have always had a cost - therefore, the only way to reconcile that is that the base cost modifiers have come down.

Tarth likes this.
  4. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

i think that there is a minimum and maximum cost a champ can be which is dictated by the mechanics of the gameplay more so than the champ template. just like spells can only cost so low before they start being used as fuel for other game mechanics regardless of their effect

5. Sokolov

As for costs being different on different champs, forget stuff like Inspire. The much more clear example is things like Debilitate, which are worth significantly more with more range - and that's the kind of thing that has to be taken into account - but it's also the grey area where designer influence comes into play. So it remains to be seen how DoG will approach this problem.

6. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Soko said,

Now, I wasn't able to go back and apply it to every single rune, but even then, there has, and always will be, the cream that rises to the top, so don't think that this will magically unshoebox every single rune (especially since this formula is largely about champions).

That said, I have high hopes since they are willing/able to cut much closer to the bone than I was. I look forward to the results :)

I took the "wasn't able to" to mean you weren't allowed to. Then again in the last sentence you again use the word "able" implying you were restricted from doing so.

7. Sokolov

It was a combination of time constraints (I already worked on it for 2 months) and reluctance on my part to completely gut the game (and possibly destroy it) during the first months where I actually had control over design decisions.

Over time, I worked to increase rune diversity to the game in various ways and by the metrics I had access to, that did occur.

So what I did was take the top off everything basically (including older runes), and then found opportunities to bring the rest up to par where it made sense, rather than try and make everything playable all at once. For example, Fae were buffed when I built them as a theme, likewise with Minotaurs, etc. And we also had occasional buff rounds to keep the meta fresh.

Historically, that's really what the game needs - a designer's constant attention so things don't stagnate - this is when players stay interested absence of new content.

Tarathil and Pedeguerra like this.
  8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

i don't think the idea of the Algorithm is contrary to the concept of variable ability costs. has Gedden stated that abilities cost the same amount regardless of what champ they are on? that wont last long if its the case.

9. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

Ferpent?

DarkJello likes this.
  10. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Quick question. Will there be noticeable design differences when it comes to race/class/faction? Will those be more meaningful then simple fluff tags? I do not mean racials and faction bonuses at all but overall design limitations that help gives a reason for each one to exist with in its faction and faction with in the game world? Would like to hear about this personally.

11. exiledtyrant

exiledtyrant Active Member

What's going to happen to the odd ball champions and broken themes within Forsaken Wastes?

Fallen paladins has always been a half hearted split. It looked like there was something forming but it died off half way. There just isn't enough to justify them being a thing in full faction FW and barely enough with a lot of help from Iron Stronghold to make it a split.

Same with this undead tundra/ hoarfrost theme. Artic beast and risen yeti are completely out of place and then hoarfrost dragon and lich were added. These runes are pushing something that just isn't there. I've looked and I've never found it.

Lastly you have out of place undeads like Fallen Draksar and Executioner. Both are just undeads without homes Draksar barely fits in because of violent. He devolved into nothing but the cheapest shatter option which is a sucky position to be in. Doesn't make him to fun to play. Executioner just fits do to his stat to cost ratio. He doesn't have a home though. Most undead received identities whether it was creep, zombie, vampire, skeleton or vampire. The pure undeads just look out of place in comparison.

Also I see a lot of focus on witches which is neat, but what about Forsaken Wastes humans in general? Are there any plans? The elsari are supposedly a civilization of people that flourished under the dark arts during the rise and fall humans and undead. Where is this large chunk of human history that isn't represented by champion runes. It is hard to accept that more of the elsari didn't survive, or you only survived being human if you were a witch. I would like to see more humans that either represent the after math of Serkahns rise or the supposed Renaissance that was happening before it.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- FW/IS human module plz ^ Chains of corruption is the synergy? eww...needz moar glue.

GameJack likes this.
  13. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

This looks interesting.

14. dooiefries

dooiefries The King of Potatoes

BIG GAMECHANING REVAMP PREVIEW:

there will be more witches
    engineers are now called tinkerers

newsbuff, Woffleet and Sokolov like this.
  15. cabunabaxton

cabunabaxton New Member

Good, but is there revamp relic?

16. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

If you're asking if they will be revamping the relics they've said that the first pass at the revamp will only touch on champions, after the first pass they will take a closer look at non-champion runes.

cabunabaxton and DarkJello like this.
  17. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

#Revamp #ChampSwag #HashTag

18. hsssh

hsssh The King of Potatoes

This is nothing new, when figuring out best build you'll just factor in nora cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being easier now since altering nora cost of champion is major thing. Nobody wants to play champion thats more expensive.

19. Sokolov

If I am not mistaken, the current direction for upgrades does still allow for the "switch upgrades before deploy" feature in-game :)

20. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

That would be ballertown