Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 6

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, May 30, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Greetings Pox Players,

We wanted to give all of you a little status update for the Revamp and go over some of the other changes being made.

Revamp Status update:
    We are now officially done with Phase 3 of the revamp. This means we have finished the first pass on reconfiguring all the champions. Phase 4 is about us testing these champions and their updated abilities to make sure they work as intended. There is still the possibility some champions will be tweaked more, but the bulk of the work for moving over to the new champion design system is now complete. We only hope Phase 4 goes as smoothly as Phase 3.

Onto the other changes being made in the Revamp!

Put on your ‘oh no’ faces! All the Rover abilities are being removed from the game. Why you ask? At the time Rover functioned as a sort of half step for balancing certain champion abilities, and theoretically would discourage turtling. We feel that this isn't needed anymore because the new costing system and reducing the number of abilities on runes serves this function better.

The abilities Kas Maja, Kas Rasa, and Kas Suja have been renamed under the classification of Discipline. Having uniquely named abilities is a cool idea, but we also want the names to be easy to remember. In addition, some changes to these abilities functions have been made to have a further united theme.

Freezing Discipline
    The next basic attack this champion makes causes Frozen for 4 turns. If target is Inhibited, it becomes Paralyzed for 2 turns.

Forbidden Discipline
    The next basic attack this champion makes causes Defiled for 4 turns. If target is Frozen, it becomes Inhibited.

Crippling Discipline
    The next basic attack this champion makes causes Inhibited for 4 turns. If target is Frozen, it becomes Immobile for 2 turns.​

Following the theme of these changes the spell ‘Kas Ruh Gol’ is being renamed to ‘Northern Wind Discipline.’ Also, some minor alterations are being made to this spell.

Northern Wind Discipline
    Champions in a straight line within 5 spaces of target champion take 10 Frost damage and become Frozen 3. If any additional targets are friendly monks, they take no damage and champions in a straight line within 5 spaces from that champion take 5 Frost damage​

Now for something new! With the revamp a new ability is being introduced called ‘Rapid Attack.’ This ability has 3 (three) ranks.

Rapid Attack
    This champion makes 3x melee attacks against target opposing champion for +1 AP at 30/40/50% damage.​

The idea behind this ability is to have something that can get through abilities like Block that only prevent damage once. Similar abilities like Pummel only activate if the attack is successful. One of the drawbacks of Rapid attack is that the champion using it will take a lot more damage from abilities like Damage Shield.

Some have been wondering about the champions who were of the Crone class and are now Witches, so lets take a little time to talk about this. First-off in most cases champions will not have their name changed -- they will just have the class Witch instead of Crone. Example: Ritual Crone will keep its name, but it will have the class designation of Witch. The major stuff we have planned for Witches won’t come into play until the expansion. As you can see below the Ritual Crone does not have some unique Witch ability, but it in general falls in line with what we see as the class’s role.

[​IMG]

Second, a player asked what Leoss Magnate looks like now after the revamp. Here is your answer.

[​IMG]

Lastly, many have asked what a really expensive nora cost rune looks like under the revamp. Behold, Thirion!

[​IMG]

As always, everything in this post is still subject to change.

We appreciate your patience, and all of us at Desert Owl want to get this into your hands as soon as possible.

2. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

tenletterz

Now, for the serious response. I'll greatly miss rover: conqueror. I knew sacrifices must be done to improve the game, but that's... just too much. Sad, very sad day.

Quick question: does the change on class imply the crone will be also affected by the spell witching hour? Or are you planning to revamp said spell?

3. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Looks nice.

I imagine the Ritual Crone would manage to deal a lot more damage than Thirion for a fraction of the cost though.

Is there a cost reduction for being 2x2 btw?

Woffleet likes this.
  4. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Thirion seems very overpriced, at least by current standards, but when I think about what that means, it excites me. Push away from the superchamps!

Out of curiosity, what were phases 1 and 2?

Woffleet likes this.
  5. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Thirion is crying in the shoebox. I am glad I have ritual crones!

6. Protick

Protick I need me some PIE!

For some reason I never liked Rover as an ability and am glad to see it gone. The same goes for Ichor, and Solo.. for all I care those can go as well.

Lauremoon and newsbuff like this.
  7. spe720

spe720 The King of Potatoes

Thirion's accursed range hasn't changed. :\
    Glad to here that you guys finished phase 3 though! keep on trucking

8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Is range 3-4 on the magnate a typo? I hate the non standarized rankeds, they are really weird to play with (I played a lot with 3-4 range battle mystics)
    I was going to write about the champions but I guess it's not the moment

9. Senshu

Yes
    There isn't a cost modifier for a champion's physical size.

Woffleet likes this.
  10. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

cost is by # of squares a champion hits. He would be a lot more expensive otherwise

11. Protick

I got a question also, and I apologize if this has been asked and answered in previous previews. Is there any news on Pets? How will Garu Den Mother be after this revamp? Or rather, what will the cub be like?

12. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Yeah, his range was the reason he was never played. I also know that many didn't like him having Death Nova (I was hoping that would be changed). At any rate, at least the revamp is closer!

13. Senshu

Not a typo. The larger the the area a champion can attack the more it costs. This change was partially to reduce the cost, but also part of balancing attack ranges of champions.

caine1138 and Woffleet like this.
  14. Senshu

We haven't posted anything on pets, but they fall under the same type of design perimeters. The better the pet the more expensive the champion is to deploy. Maybe we could do a preview in the future that shows some of the pet champions. Thanks for bringing this up.

Woffleet likes this.
  15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I would rather balance otherwise and keep most champions with regular ranges (2-4, 3-5, 4-6), because it helps a lot with calculating distances at first sight and common situations (like, 6 speed 2-4 range can disengage and attack for example) I think it adds, if even a little, to a easier learning of the game.

16. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

Thirion is my favorite rune, and while its sad to see his cost so high, I'm glad his power level is still beefy. Besides, the higher his cost, the greater the discount from the Garu Chosen (if revere isn't too costly)

Woffleet likes this.
  17. Fikule

Ahh, any reason? I tend to find that a 2x2 has more disadvantages than advantages. Hit very easily, champions with a min range of 3 only need to disengage one space to hit them, etc.

Not to mention the mobility on basically any map.

I mean, I imagine he even got an increased cost because his range covers a larger area?

18. Pathfnder

Pathfnder Devotee of the Blood Owl

I agree Even a very small discount would seem appropriate.

19. Protick

This would be fantastic, thank you.

20. Fikule

I imagine the Den Mother will cost about 140 :p

Woffleet likes this.