Pox Nora Revamp - Preview 9

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Senshu, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Shimaru

Shimaru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Do you have any source to support this? I'm not opposing to it, actually I would love this to be true, but still, would like to see some solid proof.

2. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

That's a balance issue. My point is that the devs didn't know things about Timmy while revamping him. Same goes for Goblin Kaiser, giving him defiled corpse not knowing that kaiser doesn't have a basic attack. So that's pretty much reading half of the plane instructions and feeling like you're ready to fly the plane.

3. Protick

Protick I need me some PIE!

Well, in all fairness, Senshu did comment on that the Blackstaff was changed due to Timmy now having Summon on base. Perhaps they changed it after it was brought up because they didn't realize the Staff has Summon, or perhaps they knew about it, and changed it prior to giving Timmy Summon. We don't know, for all we know they are revamping champs. We can't know they changed the staff prior or after. The same can be said about Spellkaiser. I'm pretty sure when they looked at him they saw he has no basic attack. How can one possibly miss that. It's safe to assume, I think, that Defiled has been changed, or they forgot to give Spellkaiser a basic attack.

Also, Shimaru, Gedden talked about Cast abilities in one of the Q and A's.. I think it was the most recent one. I'm pretty sure he said he didn't understand why champs were given the ability to Cast spells for free, and that he didn't like it. I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain that's what I remember him saying.

4. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

You would have to troll through Moles' interviews. He mentions it when he talks about removing Cast: Despoil from the Whisperghast.

The general reasoning was they thought it was silly for a champion to bring a spell to the game rather than you having to actually use the spell itself. Since it essentially made the spell pointless.

Ironically the exception was probably Despoil :p

5. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Maybe consider the option of adding stats to the upgrades. And if needed use the 2-options path per upgrade , as 3 options per upgrade isn't always a must. Using 3-option per upgrade where it isn't needed will only return filler abilities.

On Maxxarek, it would make more sense for me if regeneration was in the same upgrade path as fire eater and pawn, as then you would be choosing 1 defensive upgrade and 1 offensive upgrade.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    newsbuff and Tarathil like this.
  6. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

The problem with maxxrekk is that all the abilities he needs (as I use him at least) are on one upgrade path and all the ones he doesn't are on another.

He is only vaguely runnable currently with the combo with baneshift which involved him using set ablaze on himself, fire eater preventing any damage, and baneshift moving the condition to the enemy. Pawn just being generally necessary to keep him alive.

On the other path are decent enough abilities but all ones I can live without.

I dunno, I'm on holiday at the moment but will try to think about.

7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

For the next preview (if there is one) i would like to see Skeezick machinist (to see how much deploying a relic costs and if land mine and gattling gun are on the same upgrade branch), Centurion (to see in which roll he lands and i hope is not plain warrior but a commander/tank, and i would like to know what will happen with the "cast:" abilities) and Priest of Fury (im curious about how you will split this unit's fire/draksar/akakios themes and how much a "revere" ability cost).

So far the previews are great, even if i dont agree with one or more of those changes you have my full support!

Razzoriel and Woffleet like this.
  8. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

So the only possible explanation for the devs not balancing the way you'd like is that they don't know what the hell they're doing? Also, it seems to me that Timmy's core is still very intact. In fact, I haven't seen them preview a champ for whom I didn't think the core idea was intact (except hinting at dropping Tortun's Trade, that's blasphemy).

9. Joker

Joker I need me some PIE!

Just to get the ball rolling, i'd like to see how most heroes are, especially vindrax.

10. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I'm concerned about the pricing (or of abilities) on spellkaiser. He was one of the main UD solutions to major problems it sometimes faced: healing (cauterize), high defense (magical bomb), gap closing (relocate ally) and either a super-champ counter (hex) or additional fire damage (flamethrower). He couldn't use all of those abilities because of AP limits, and he could be shut down fairly easily with distract. Now he's more or less limited to casting magic bomb 1 turn and then hex the next turn. That will probably leave him with extra AP and not much to do with it, and he still runs the risk of being pretty useless w/ distract. He'll probably still have a early-game role as a font contestor since hex and one with nora synergize well in a 1 v 1, but he's lost a lot of his main functions. Maybe other UD runes will pick up those roles, but I'd almost rather see teleport or maybe even one with nora removed in exchange for him keeping some of his offensive functionality (and that's a bit more consistent with the UD playstyle anyway).

More generally, I wonder if there is an issue with passive champions that still have a damage stat because certain abilities (bombs) are pegged off the unit's damage stat. For example, I was comparing Silverclan Tinkerer (shatter, invig, electrical aura) for 52 (???) nora with Spellkaiser (Magic Bomb, Hex, One with Nora) for 72. Without getting into which ability set is better, I wonder if the main difference in pricing is that Spellkaiser needs a damage stat for bomb to work. How is the damage stat priced for this type of unit; how is the basic attack ability priced for another unit or what discount is given for a champ with a damage stat but that lacks an attack?

Edit: Spellkaiser is probably my favorite rune in the game...I'm trying not to be too biased because my sacred cow just had 2 (3 if you count regen) abilities removed, 1 ability weakened, and its nora cost increased.

11. OSkin

OSkin New Member

What about Hekatians and other bleed demons? Korona and Voidraker have 9 abilyties, Bloodguard and Angel of Pain 8, Arbiter 7. Now tell me about those nerf after I played last 3 years just to obtain those champs... Beacuse for some player THIS is a problem: see nerfed what u obtained in many years of play, and now that u (finaly) have it Owl come and nerf. This is frustrating, not read some abilities. All champ will be nerfed and not only mine? Yess I know, but I toiled three years for THOSE champs, not a nerf version of it.

12. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

To be honest, playing for three years and managing to believe that runes you obtained would remain the same forever for that entire time is an achievement in itself.

Also, your ineffectual raging Donald Duck avatar serves you well for this post :p

newsbuff, Xirone and Woffleet like this.
  13. OSkin

OSkin New Member

Probably I'm so attached to some of my runes beacouse I'm first of all a collector and I come from card games on paper, where there's no change on cards.
    I play from 3 years, but only recently I finaly builded (partial) of the runedeck I wanted since start, so this revamp represents the nullification of all my sacrifices as a collector, and will take a turn to the game that I don't think I will like it as a player.
    I do not understand how you can be so happy all of this super nerf, but maybe some will change their mind once released.

14. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Sorry, but as I understand (never played a tcg) IRL cards don't get "changed" or "nerfed" they are plainly banned or rotated out so I'd rather have them revamped.

Also, we had plenty of people that asked to be able to buy/grind his rank/victories, that is not gonna happen.

SPiEkY likes this.
  15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

just a thought, not worthy of a new thread:
    What about giving the relocation abilities like teleport or leap a 2 turn cd? this way, we avoid having ranged pokers trolling melee in fonts and we reduce the power of a very powerful set of abilities, making them cheaper to include without pushing costs too high and we remove/tone down a very important melee deterrent from the game.

Goyo likes this.
  16. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Teleport and leap has been cd 1 since release. I see no reason to change this.

17. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Well, since you already acknowledge your bias.. time to find a new favorite rune. GSK is pretty nutso right now, and deserves nerfs in the current state of the game (BEFORE the revamp). You address this when in your second sentence you highlight all of the stuff he did for UD at an obscene price point. Just wait and see, it's just as stupid as it was last week to compare runes today to their post-revamp counterparts.

newsbuff and SPiEkY like this.
  18. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

It depends on the game. YuGiOh has errata'd many cards (to the point that I don't even bother reading the card text on certain cards because of how often they change) but usually they rely on prolific printing of new material and either banning (see YuGiOh) or rotating (see MtG) old cards.

@OSkin, PoxNora doesn't have the man power to design that many cards so it makes sense to have less runes and try to keep as many of them viable and runnable as possible. Also a nice perk of the digital nature of the game. PoxNora makes no promise that your runes will always stay the same. As for the deck you think you're losing it's not like you're running a convoluted trick deck that relies on specific interactions you've built a bleed BG. That's a theme. There's absolutely no reason to believe that they'd break up any themes. All the super valuable champions that form that BG will still work together in some way they might just stop being the most valuable runes in the whole game (slight exaggeration but not that far off).

19. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I'm guessing now that cast despoil is removed from whisperer we will be force to use the spell same i like the despoil + relocate DMZ wormhole
    I hope they relize they make spell spam more viable when they remove cast abilities which is more annoying than having on a champion runes

20. Rokkushun

Rokkushun Devotee of the Blood Owl

what?
    So, removing the champ based spells makes more spells somehow?
    If you use Cast: Despoil it's the -exact- same thing as despoil, except it's free and it has stats and a board presence.
    For example, imagine if a champion had cast: Firestorm (it'd never happen but for the sake of the example..)
    That doesn't mean you can't run firestorm. it just means you get essentially 2 runes for one slot. In essence you could -technicially- have 4 "firestorms" in that situation.

I do not understand your logic.

21. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Cast was a good idea for underused overcosted spells. If I recall correctly Defiler Knight was the first one to introduce the mechanic with Cast: Ghostly Visage. It was a spell no one in their right mind would include in a bg or spend 40 nora on. Dead Zone Vodoo was another of the spells that really didnt see play in their spell form.
    The problem came when far better spells where thrown on champions. Stuff like Repurpose was just plain silly to have as a cast ability.

Ragic and Rokkushun like this.