Poxnora clone that is super popular?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eadbusta, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Eadbusta

Eadbusta I need me some PIE!

My brother found this game. It doesn't look like a good game to me. It looks like a dumbed down version of Poxnora. It is more popular than poxnora, it even has a competitive scene! I am so f*cking triggered. Why is this piece of frond-Bane Shift so popular and 'amazing', when all it is is poxnora for stupid people?

A link to their website. Watch the trailer. They have cards, champions, spells. They even took the font mechanic!
    https://www.faeria.com/

So triggered...

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I guess more advertisements and slicker (more "modern") design. Depth isn't necessarily rewarded.

Geressen likes this.
  3. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

cant the developers sue them I mean from what I see its too similar?

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Its pretty different in mechanics and appearance. Wouldnt stand up in court.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  5. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Maybe games like this aren't necessarily bad news for pox if it leads to more interest in the genre.

We may be able to poach some of the players they attract with their big advertising budget.

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Remember that while Pox is very old, this game is brand new basically, and is leveraging, from the start, social media and other avenues. The question is where the game will be a few years from now... many other games of this type (such as Scrolls) don't last very long. It's not an easy space to succeed in.

It does, however, give you some idea of how popular a Pox 2.0 might be.

7. nepyonisdead

pox doesnt need a 2.0 in my opinion its still the same game I fell in love with 7 years ago, it just needs the advertisement and for it to be more out there. I am really hoping the playstation release takes this game's popularity to where it belongs

Eadbusta likes this.
  8. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

I've played Faeria out on steam when it had a free weekend available.
    It's actually quite different mechanically in a lot of instances.

I'm debating with myself if I should buy it for $6.25 or the $12.49 "bundle" which gives 20 packs & 10 "draft" tickets.
    For that price even if it lasts a year I can get at the very least that amount of entertainment from it.

Theme style is acceptable even though some of the art is meh.

I would definitely buy into a POX 2.0 weather or not pox 1 cards transfer or not provided that it is sufficiently better visually. Also to clarify by what I mean visually is in that everything meshes together design and quality wise.

9. nepyonisdead

whether the cards transfer or not shouldn't be a debate since some people buy their cards, its bad enough that cards lose their value with newer expansion and so people lose real money (not blaming anyone just pointing out a fact) so the cards one way or another should find their way to any newer release :)

10. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Not even competition to Pox... Very different games.

11. yobanchi

If they are making a Pox 2.0 then there are a few options that I could see them not transitioning old cards.

The first issue would be if Pox 2.0 contains reworked gameplay. In other words faction bonuses are different, stats are different, nora flow is different, RUNES are different. They could certainly be similar to Pox 1.0 concerning lore but I wouldn't expect them to carbon copy the mass of old pox 1.0 into the new game especially when it would require rebalancing of those thousands of runes. This goes especially if they decide to keep Pox 1.0 around so that it's still playable. In this case you don't LOSE any runes you just can only play them on the old server client.

That's the way I expect it to probably go honestly. Keep Pox 1.0 around and do a lot of streamlining and design consistency so that Pox 2.0 doesn't have the baggage of a lot of now conflicting design elements.

For example they could actually balance the faction bonuses! Adjust Nora rates, cd rates, streamline faction identity blah blah blah.

aseryen and Boozha like this.
  12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'll dump some cash on it and report back.

13. yobanchi

Yeah, I just dumped $12.49 on it and currently installing.

From some light research this was kickstarted by a pretty new game developer.
    Model is free to play with an option to "buy all card content" for a one time payment.
    Similar to "who shall not be named" advocated for a long time ago.

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Ill likewise throw them 12.50. They have guilds? We should make a poxnora guild.

yobanchi likes this.
  15. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It's not actually that popular. I played it on the Steam weekend they had a few weeks ago and it often took a minute to find games. If I had to guess I'd say that right now the community is about the same size as c0rpse era pox. They have made some counterproductive moves on the free-to-play vs. cash aspects IMO, with a buy-in that is preventing them from having a larger casual playerbase, but a fairly generous rewards system once you have bought in. It has duelyst's higher epic/leg drop rates but with Hearthstone's 1x leg limit, but the packs still give you duplicates of the free set so there are a lot of dead slots in the packs that you open.

I don't think the simplicity is necessarily a bad thing, and the way that they've designed the game around a few simple concepts is elegant. The board that you build becomes your deployment zones, which gives the player more strategic choice (it's not uncommon to win the game without harvesting from a font) and it's still more of a card game than a strategy game, with cheap removal and strategies based on saving up for a combo. The game is also leaner than pox, with games lasting between 5 and 20 minutes instead of 20 to an hour. While it's the closest to pox that any of these CCGs have come, it's still part of the Hearthstone casual market alongside Duelyst, and it's a crowded marketplace.

That said, I prefer the streamlined resource system to Pox's. I don't think Pox gains all that much with 45-70 nora/turn and units that cost 1 or 2 more than others. I think 5-10 resources/turn (with units that cost 5-20) would still provide enough nuance between units while being easier to predict and manage.

16. Sokolov

Yea. Pox's nora system was originally designed to be this way because the original game was very RPG heavy with you upgrading your runes and paying 1-2 extra nora for HP/DMG and other stats. But the game evolved into something else and if it wouldn't be such a mess to convert over, I might make everything cost less.

In fact, I have considering just making all champions cost multiples of 5 but there are considerations on how to handle upgrades, etc.

aseryen, yobanchi and jeeperz2 like this.
  17. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Games like these I find usually don't last past 5 years which raises a question of how good poxnora really is to have lasted this long.

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I'm not sure I would agree with that design decision, I like highly granular costs. In HS there is the constant problem where any change of an OP rune would make it unusable and vice versa because there's so little wiggling room.

19. Sokolov

Trust me, it's no different here :) Everything is either OP or shoebox!

darklord48, Boozha and yobanchi like this.
  20. yobanchi

You'll recognize me on there if you see me ^_^. Don't know if they have guilds yet as I've only played a very few games. Essentially the solo matches + a pandora when it was free on steam for a weekend. I do see they have a $3000 tourney circuit thing which may be interesting. Will have to see.

As for Pox's resources I always felt the same that it was a little to inflated and would benefit from some resource streamlining. I like the increments of 5 but I'd take it a step further and divide it.

Fonts produce 12 nora while a champ costs 85 nora vs New fonts produce 3 nora with a champ costing 17. While costing would be more rigid there are still plenty of stats/abilities that can be used to balance that as opposed to the above mentioned hearthstone reference where it essentially shoeboxes or overpowers something.

This would also make it much easier to figure out and add visualization for card cooldowns. It's nora cost 17 = its turn cooldown cost.
    Side effect would be that a lot of nora producing sources would need to be nerfed/adjusted with the majority of them simply producing 1 nora.

Agree that it's a little nebulous now.