poxnora is failing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by littlezay, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

@Sokolov
    Have you guys discussed trade-locking the game internally? Now that only like 3 people play this game, it could be a good time since losses could be minimal. Trading has slowed down to the point it's barely beneficial for rune acquisition and switching around forge rates with the trade lock opens up a lot of doors for accessibility.

I thought if he was whining about new games, he would like a good old one.

2. Nastyhobo

Nastyhobo The King of Potatoes

thank you whoever removed all the off-topic comments... Really wish the people making them could add to the original topic some more, I know half of the people who are on here have valuable opinions... same old same old I guess.

3. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

This has to be the worst Mid term release ever. Not in terms of content but in terms of sales and profit? Would love to see the numbers from Sok on this one. Also, what was the point of this release when everything still feels like a beta testing environment!

noshua likes this.
  4. noshua

noshua The King of Potatoes

Well said..

5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Rewards weren't adjusted that I am aware of. Can you provide more detail as to what this 200g you were getting came from? What is a "day one ps release rewards?"

(And is anyone else seeing this issue?)

6. Sokolov

Considering that the entire new client was a 1 year+ investment into redoing something, this seems like a strange statement. We are aware of the issues with the new client and there are people working on it, but most of the remaining issues require a lot more time/effort (such as rewriting the entireity of how the client renders sprites) to fix, unfortunately. At the same time, priority on server stability/crashes on playing the game was also higher (most of these have been addressed).

There is no real defense for the client, it isn't where it needs to be, but Pox hasn't been abandoned either.

Lushiris likes this.
  7. Sokolov

Yes, those kinds of things have certainly been discussed. Part of what came out of those discussions was my revised rune packs strategy which would make opening packs more rewarding/efficient and I would not be comfortable saying trading is going away unless that kind of stuff was happening as well.

For now though, until the new client is up to snuff, most anything else is not really worth discussing since it won't be worked on.

8. LoserSlick

LoserSlick Devotee of the Blood Owl

yet the game Limbo won how many awards again? lol didn't Braid win game of the year? both 2d platformers :cool:

and poxnora's graphic nostalgia is part of why it was so successful. lol go log in to steam and look at seemingly exponential increase in 'pixel graphics' tagged games. or just look at UNDERTALE... "overwhelmingly positive" from over 70,000 fkn reviews. lol it hasn't even been 2 yrs since its release, mind u

so stop trying to re-invent the wheel, would ya? honestly, i was meaning to even bring this up to the devs when i saw poxnora's new look. thanks for reminding me :)

lol "struggling" being relative, of course. but yes, that is truly a sad story. one of the world's most successful in gaming history only has 4~5 million users now :( (lol only 13 years after its launch... just horrible). also wow's graphics were top-notch at the time of its release

you are comparing apples and oranges, my friend.

then why are you even here?? i don't understand

so it's a fun game that people are still playing... but they need to move on?

you lack vision, my friend. moreover, i don't see how a game that hasn't even yet realized its full potential can be failing? in fact you seem to have a tenuous grasp on the gaming industry in general o_O

9. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

well this IS a niche game, and always will be. Otherwise it wouldn't retain its playerbase. It's a 3000+runes game with a really high learning curve, deep chesslike strategy. Its not like Poxnora will ever have millions of players, expecially now that the market, even in the ccg/tactics genre, is all on 10mins for match games like duelyst or faeria or the new smite one.
    But there will always be a pool of niche players that want their niche game with all the complexity needed. The work of DoG should be to give that kind of product to their players pool. If they try to go on same level of other games, thats where they will fail. But it doesn't seem the case for now. I think they understand this point and are working to get back the game in its better shape as soon as possible. I mean, if they can retain a some thousand players base on a working game, and release runes every 4-5-6 months, its not like they need hundreds of employees. If they find the balance to sustain a stable game, Pox will continue to exist for quite long time i think.

Woffleet, Gnomes and Fentum like this.
  10. Streea

Streea The King of Potatoes

The downside with this new client, is you can't tell how active the game actually is now. No player knows how many other players are on. You can't even que for 2v2 with your guild members whom you are comfortable to formulate a plan with. You go into a 2v2 match and hope that the other person realizes what kind of deck you have and vice versa, and pray that there is little to counter between the two of you. That's a major issue. Regardless to the time spent and invested into the new client, it just outright needs to be replaced back to a similar version of the old one yet still PSN compatible.

The next thing that needs to be considered is to stop 'balancing' champions and runes that in the past, weren't an issue. If it isn't an issue, don't fix it. I don't know where the developers are going with that to be honest, or even who is calling the shots of removing x from this, and placing it on that. It's annoying in the sense I have a deck that has never been changed. Ranged champions are ranged, do their thing, melee do their stuff and so forth. Then one day after an update, a ranged champion is suddenly melee, and a support? That's stupidity at its finest. I'm directly 'bashing' or 'disregarding' the developers feelings regarding to these constant unnecessary tweaks they continue to do, because without actual reasons or justified cause, they're simply doing it to 'freshen' things up.

I agree with Maru on his statement above. Poxnora has never been a game that has had countless players. The greatest amount it ever did have, was when the players were capable of full customization of the runes. Supposedly that was too much of a learning curve, or presented the players with too many options, whatever reasoning as to why that was removed. Each patch, and each year (graphics, every other aspect aside) the game loses more and more plays. It's not from adding new runes, or maps. It's not cause there is better games out. Poxnora is a milestone in its own genre. They leave because of real life reasoning, or they leave because they no longer desire to keep up with the constant changing of things of which were previously not needed. I've jumped off the game for a good six months before client wise, and played Warfame. Everyday I still logged in and checked the poxnora trader and such. I wasn't over the game. I just got over the developers idea of 'balance'. To continue on with what I'm implying, I'll use Maru's '3000+' rune example. 3000+ runes, yet only 1000 if that are used. Why? Players are competitive. If a rune is cheaper, and does the same job that a higher costing one does, which would you choose? The competitive value rune. The cheaper one.

If you're wondering my point in all of this, the point is simple. Poxnora has been shot, and for a long time now it as limped its way along this dusty trail. It could very will limp on for another two years, if not three. I'll be surprised if it continues beyond that. To be honest, I'll be surprised if it ever stops limping with the current state it is in.

MrBadguy and xaznsoulx like this.
  11. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

all i know is before the last patch a fast played (in 3-4 minutes won) solo game (one game in the 4 series) on trials of the protectorate / trials of wrath, on normal or hard difficulty (gave same rewards) would get me 200 gold. after the latest patch i got 13 gold for the same 3-4 min game. yes one other player confirmed this and even mentioned it in chat after patch before me.

thing is sometime way before the last patch the rewards were not as good as 200gold but i cant remember how much gold the reward was. the 200 gold was there for the playstation poxnora release so i assumed the devs had upped the gold rewards for everyone because of the ps release.

12. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Run escape became mobile?

Oh poxnora... you ****ed up royal

13. Nastyhobo

You're misunderstanding what i'm trying to say. I do not have a "Tenuous grasp on the gaming industry" and I am not trying to suggest that Poxnora is doomed in comparison.

What I am trying to say is that no matter where you go games are supposedly "on their way out" and the next big thing to hit the gaming industry has really yet to be discovered. Yet you can look all over the internet and places like Steam and find communities built around niche games like Poxnora that may not have enormous amounts of players or rake in mad $$ but the point is they are alive and still going.. How is that any worse than a game like WoW in it's prime? The gaming industry is everywhere right now. The game is fulfilling its purpose to the people that play it. We love this game and have played it this long. We still to this day get new players that love the game and stick with it. The company putting Poxnora on the backburner to pursue more lucrative endeavors is not a death sentence for Poxnora in any way. In fact it is the exact opossite... The fact that they spent over a year developing this client in the first place should tell you as much.

All of this being said... That client doe... :(

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Fentum likes this.
  14. Nastyhobo

Oh, I also wanted to add that the community on the forums acting like a bunch of 15 yr olds just trolling and sucking each others balls all the time doesn't help anything.. But I get it you guys are too cool and memetastic for me I guess.

15. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Why are people still doing campaigns for gold ?

16. LoserSlick

lol VR was 'supposed' to be the next big thing, remember? and how'd that turn out...

what's happening within the gaming industry is very similar to what's been happening to legacy media (and it's marvelous). remember that poxnora stood on its own two feet among giants like nintendo, sony, and microsoft. 2 years after world of warcraft's launch, and 3 years after steam.

so yea. glad we both seem to like this game

EDIT:

p.s. sorry for bumping this thread

Gnomes likes this.
  17. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

What do you mean turned out? VR is still in it's infancy, at least wait until the big devs release some proper games before your pronounce it dead.

Some of the stuff they are doing with VR looks awesome, can't wait for it to improve and become more available.

18. LoserSlick

i don't see how VR recovers from the current debacle. at best, i think you're looking at several years (if not more) before its resurgence - and even in spite of the legal predicament, they have a looooooong list of problems to address with the product itself. and those 'big devs'/publishers will be on standby for quite awhile before even THEY start developing games for it. currently, it's basically virtual boy 2.0. lol member virtual boy??

that said, none of this si really relevant to the point i was making

19. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Pox VR is coming and you can't stop it.

It will save the game.

20. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

i'm in for pox vr where you move pieces with hands