Problems in the post office (Mafia game) SCAM (town) wins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gaverion, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Pipster

Pipster I need me some PIE!

Good luck boys!

PurpleTop likes this.
  2. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Anyone have any thoughts on this before the night ends and one of us is off'd? I'll share what I think in case I get the whack.

After pipster turned mafia, we are in sort of a good place. In this case, Darklord was the hammer. At the point he voted, it already looked like doom for poor pippy, so I wasn't expecting any sort of defense from anyone. For that reason, I do not get a particularly town vibe from darklord even though his vote resulted in a very pro-town outcome. Regardless of the affiliation of the lynchee, mafia tends to hide in that L2 spot more than not. It's a safe place to vote that generally slips by pressure because people tend to focus on who set the hammer. The L2 voter in this case was Yelmo, and I have been suspicious of him for a time. Moreover, he has pointed fingers at me a bit, and I feel I have been more pro-town than anyone else at this point. Because of this, I am still a bit suspicious of him..... though is finger pointed was stipulated to if Pip turned town, which he didnt.

I think the biggest focus, however, should be on the poeple who did not vote for Pippy. In this case, that would be KingJad, Gabq and Greysands. KingJad is probably who I am most suspicious of atm, but I think that is mostly due to low content posts which is not always mutually inclusive to mafia behavior. Gabq has been a bit quieter than normal (from my experience) this game, and I get no real read in any direction with Greysands. Would honestly like to hear more from all three of these guys, especially with relation tho pipsters flip.

It's also worth noting that the last three votes for pip were in relatively rapid succession at the end of the phase, more or less jumping on the bandwagon and presenting nothing new. Honestly my reasoning for going for pipster was rather vague, but since I have been leading much of the discussion it was a relatively easy bandwagon to slide into un-noticed, so we need to be aware of that.

As far as town reads go, I don't have too many. I do tend to think that st3ck is town because of the way he has been acting. Not necessarily pro-town behavior, but what seems to be the behavior of a nervous town. Hopefully I have convinced him that I am town, too.

If I missed anything let me know, but those are my thoughts. I wanted to get them out in case i get a visitor in the night.

Also, there should only be one mafia left.

3. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

two things i'm not convinced of- pt being town, and one mafia being left.

i know i said it was most likely that there were 2 mafia earlier, but i just have this line in my head that says that the mafia kill via stamps collected, and if you have multiple stamps you're safer as a baseline. i have no way of knowing this as a baseline (unless it's in the rules and i'm blind!) and i could just be complicating things unnecessarily, but if it were true at all the mafia numbers could go up and the game could still be balanced

so far as pt being town goes, it's not beyond him to try for an early bus. he's done it (sorry. this or similar schemes, though. most people don't try to make big plays when they're mafia, in the pox-games) a few times in the past, i believe. having said that, pips being out is undoubtedly a good thing, and there's no pressing reason to turn on pt at the moment

so far as my vote went, simply put i read through the post sequence, not that there was much of one, and i caught the same thing pt did before i got to the point where he voted. it wasn't much, but it was more to go off than most of the others

not gonna try discussing d2 before the night's over, though. wanna see what shakes loose.

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I saw that we were one away from hammer on Pipster, and after seeing him jump on st3ck so quickly I thought he was most suspect, so I added my vote to keep the game moving. The first day is always so tough given the limited amount of posts to go on.

My understanding about the stamps is that two things are enabled. First, a threshold is placed on the number of times someone can use an ability. Second, it allows a player to send an anonymous message to another player. Using Pipster's ability as an example, but altering it for town.
    The ability could be used twice, then an anonymous letter could be sent to another suspected town sharing the information as a suicide move. The suicide move could be done if you suspected you would be lynched the next day, or targeted by the mafia that night.

5. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Quite frankly, I see either PT, Dag, or myself showing up dead tonight.

6. st3ck

And I also think there are more than two total mafia.

7. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

As the next meeting of SCAM began the members noticed something odd. There was an individual crying in the middle of the floor. He had a genuine mask laying in front of him, a crowd gathered at the commotion. They then realized why he was crying, in his hands were the ashe of his two stamps. Since he was no longer a member no one dared speak to him.

GabrielQ was:

Taddleing Tommy

You start with 2 stamps. You always liked being the one to get the credit so each night you may choose to send a letter to the Badge Creation Center to determine if a player has a genuine membership or a fake. This ability costs a stamp.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

fascinating (and this blows a theory out of the water, but that's fine)

well, without going back and looking to see what gabq's posted, if i were mafia there are two reasons i'd target gabq

reason 1- i knew what he was somehow. getting rid of the cop early is powerful, it's worth bypassing the bigger and more active targets

reason 2- i'm one of the more active targets to get killed, but by not killing one of the others (and thus narrowing down the pool so it's closer to me) i can create confusion and start to move some blame onto them. i don't even need to be one of the "most likely hit" for this to play, it just helps.

there's a third way gab could've been hit, which would be a redirect sort of power that just bounces the nightkill off someone else to him (clearly it wasn't a bodyguard function, since that's not what his role indicates)

anyhow, just my two cents.

9. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Give them an offer they can't refuse. ha....ha.......mwhahah

10. PurpleTop

Gabq seemed like a safe bet for a kill. One commonly used practice for the mafia to use is to use a random number generator or something with a similar function to decide who to kill the first night. This way there is no absolute interpretation of bias during the kill. When this is done, town always will look to much into the target of the kill and that can often cause chaos and confusion among the town, which is good for the mafia. I think that that was probably the case here, and they got lucky with him also having a power role.

I don't think we should be looking into why gabq was targetted too much, and should be focusing on yesterdays events (since we DID get a mafia) and on generating more conversation during this phase.

11. st3ck

Did anyone try to divert or stick up for pipster?

12. PurpleTop

not that I recall (will re-read in a bit)..... Tho three people did not vote for him, gabq being one of them. So that leaves two

13. Yelmo

Yelmo Devotee of the Blood Owl

Pipster did not defend himself well, and no one stood up for him either. Poor little guy never had a chance. The bandwagon that PT started on him seemed pretty easy.... it was the first serious vote and it took hold. Usually this would seem like mafia manipulative behavior, which I would not put it past PT to do, but in this case it caught a mafia. So with that being said I agree with pt in that we need to focus on the people who did not vote for him.

I'm gonna vote Greysands because he is one of those and we need some pressure

Vote: @Greysands22

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

in order. the numbers beneath each one just show the vote spread, not the targets. i guess i can add them in before i post
    1 st3
    2 st3
    2st3/1gq
    1st3/1pips/1gq
    1st3/1pips/1gq/1jad
    1st3/1pips/1gq/1jad/1darkl

1st3/1gq/1pips/1me/1darkl
    1st3/1gq/1pips/1pt/1me/1darkl
    2st3/1gq/1pips/1pt/1me/1darkl
    2st3/2gq/1pips/1me/1darkl
    at this point st3ck's going hard for gab, and it's tied between them with ??? activity actual left in the phase. on a tie.
    2st3/3gq/1pips/1me/1darkl @Greysands22 would you be so kind as to quote the thing PT said that was "obvious truth" that got him voted for? just curious
    pips opts out of pushing closer to a lynch on gabq, which suggests to me that one of the others that had voted for gab at the time is mafia. it's not evidence so much as a possible link. in any case the next vote takes gab out of the picture for the day.
    1st3/3gq/1pips/1me/1darkl/1PT
    moving to a completely different track, but he isn't wrong that jad hasn't said much.
    1st3/2gq/1pips/1me/1darkl/1pt/1jad
    moves off gq when the wagon moves, tries to put it back on st3ck
    2st3/1gq/1pips/1me/1darkl/1pt/1jad
    basically about to escalate into a flamewar or some Bane Shift. kinda useless post in a lot of ways. the wagon is off gq. he is, i think, still voting for st3ck at this point in time.
    2st3/1pips/1me/1darkl/1pt/1jad/1greys
    2st3/2pt/1pips/1me/1darkl/1jad

greys got the wagon moved off him by st3's wrath, and a small one starts again on pt, who should recover brilliantly in the next page

first, though, my post that included the votecount without me, to doublecheck my progress so far
    st3 kills the wagon starting to form on pt and jumps on pt's locomotive of choice
    2st3/2pips/1me/1jad/1darkl/1pt
    in which i'm an *******
    2st3/3pips/1me/1jad/1darkl/1pt
    2st3/4pips/1me/1darkl/1pt
    this is important solely in that it's the first, i believe, time that anyone has gotten to 4 votes. it was promptly hammered
    but really that's not too relevant, with the timing so long as there weren't any drastic last second changes there's no way to beat it

final count should be 2st3, from greys and gabq; 5 pips, from pt, st3, me, yelmo, and darkl; 1 darkl, from jad; and 1 pt, from pips

i'll just post this and let people mull on it. going to hold my opinion for now to see if people come out thinking the same as i did or not, but ask and ye shall be answered

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm suspicious of st3ck. Pipster voted for st3ck early, then changed to someone else. st3ck was the second vote for Pipster, after seeing Dagda's comment that Pipster was #1 on his list, but hadn't voted yet. I think this was to throw the town off, using Pipster as a sacrifical lamb. He changed his vote repeatedly through the day, some times without anyone else even posting between his votes.

He was also gunning for GabrielQ during the day, even though I think GabrielQ didn't come off as scummy, then we later find that GabrielQ was innocent.

16. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

Currently going over dagda's post. I'll respond to it later.

17. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I'd say St3ck is the safest lynch. He seems to voting in all sorts of directions and completely confuses everyone. Crazy random rants and is playing the game wrong and is a huge liability. After that I would press my case against darklord who after engaging in discussion the entire first day and pushes me and dagda into the spotlight disappears for an entire day(Given I don't post much myself, but I don't post constantly in mafia and then just drop off the face of the earth.) and comes back to deliver the hammer.

18. st3ck

Frankly, I think darklord and jad are mafia. I say let them spearhead a crusade against me, and when I show up town, makes everyone else's jobs easier, no?

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I posted once on Thursday, three times on Friday, then dropped the hammer on Sunday. Two of my three posts on Friday were to get KingJad and Dagda to post, and neither had posted since the official start. I've been quiet, but I wouldn't say I've been uniquely quiet compared to others.

20. st3ck

At the very least one of darklord or kingjad is mafia, with the 3rd being mostly unknown in my eyes, but possibly yelmo, maybe PT or dag.

But I feel like there is a 50/50 between jad and dlord