Protective stacking is making it hard for me to enjoy molesting the weaker champs in themes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Aug 25, 2016.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm having a hard time getting my groove on when I see all those 20+ damage range champs.

DOG pls

Goyo, Joker, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  2. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Yup don't really understand why it doesnt have a cap

mw24 likes this.
  3. bagoftrick

bagoftrick I need me some PIE!

it just shouldn't stack.

mw24 likes this.
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's going to be 3 stacks.

mw24, Netherzen, Lushiris and 2 others like this.
  5. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I will not find it hard to molest the little ones with this change.

Thanks based sok!

6. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

+6 damage for ranged champs still pretty good. Remember that time when we tried to removed ranged sunder from the game, and then we introduced ranged protective which is actually stronger. Endless circles we go in this game.

7. Sokolov

I feel like you forget it used to be +5 DMG for one attack, and you talk as if ranged Protective hasn't been a thing until recently (that said, I don't think Wanderer should have Protective, it feels wrong since he was supposed to be more support in nature).

Also, Sunder basically gives EVERYONE DMG bonuses, one attack from Sunder could mean +6 DMG right off the bat that's under your own control of when to trigger (while Protective is reactive), it's on a completely different axis.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Netherzen and newsbuff like this.
  8. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Are there going to be 2 different protectives or is it a nerf for the ability as a whole?

Btw sunder still applies a -2 def penalty, while the debuff says -1 def. Which one is correct?

9. Sokolov

It's just a general nerf. +2 DMG per incoming attack, with it stacking up to 3 times.

Sundered gives -1 DEF. Sunder 1 gives 1 stack of -1 DEF, Sunder 2 gives 2 stacks of -1 DEF.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Capping Protective is definitely the easiest solution. Alternatively you could only have it proc when friendly champions within 5 spaces are attacked. Or we can get really creative and do something like:

Protective: When a champion you own that shares a race or class with this one is attacked by a basic attack it gains one stack of Protective.
    Protective Stacks: This champion's next basic attack deals +2 damage.
    It wouldn't effect a units damage total so it wouldnt amp things like Cone but a champion could get lots of stacks and then unleash it into one attack.

Woffleet likes this.
  11. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Could even make it so the stacks work like Zephyr Shield and are removed one at a time on each subsequent attack.

12. super71

Circles my man circles. Anything stacking on ranged is a bad idea, we learned this with dots, deep wounds, sunder. Not hard to trigger protective as your champ gains it when your champs are attacked, and it's a "global buff".

Gaining +6 damage on range is still gonna be overpowered, it just shouldn't be on range champs period. Say a champ has 6 damage, your now putting him at 12 without other damage buffs coming into play.

I'm interested to see what the new protective costs compared to things like piercing shot that cost extra ap.

Also remember when I said that new lonx was gonna be too strong, hate being so right.

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/list-of-good-new-runes-from-latest-expansion.23727/

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Protective is 4 nora, Pierching shot is 3/6/9

14. Sokolov

It's certainly true that maybe it should just be removed from ranged champs in general, but I don't think it's on the same level as Sunder 2 or Rank 3 Dots. Both of those scale significantly harder and is in control of the player (while Protective is triggered by the enemy).

Additionally, Protective was originally adjusted down to 3 DMG (which was not done due to ranged abuse, since it's not on that many ranged capable champs), and that ended up making it pretty bad, so this will put it somewhere between where it used to be +5 DMG for just one attack, and where it will end up +2 DMG per attack, up to +6 DMG total, where I think it is likely to be fine.

In regards, there was the Lonx Wanderer which, while strong (and most people thought it would be, so it isn't some sort of revelation), isn't the impetus for changing it, I just think it's weird that it ends up being so offensive in terms of raw DMG output - but it does deal with the only prominent source of ranged Protective (so perhaps that does what you want anyway :D).

Lastly, I think the Piercing Shot cost comparison makes no sense, since that ability can provide that DMG output whenever you want and doesn't require a specific build. Additionally, pre-supposing this is a constant +6 DMG as you seem to claim is silly.

15. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

The thing is, all magic damage Lonx are "support" apparently. I'm not even asking for an efficient one, just one with damage.

16. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

I like this :)

17. super71

I agree with sunder and rank 3 dots being stronger, and also agree it's a bit much on ranged champs unless it's changed. I think your underestimating just how strong +2 ranged damage is especially when it's triggered so easily. Look at things similar global spells/abilities that grant additional damage and how highly they are valued. I understand that your opponent controls it, but if your opponent isn't attacking every turn to not trigger your +2 damage they are doing something wrong.

The piercing shot comparison was strictly comparing the cost of both for their damage output. Essentially piercing shot can have one of those damage modifiers but can only happen once per turn and costs additional ap. Protective allows multiple high hits per turn with no cool down.

Saying that it's not very easy to trigger and requires some sort of strategy to get the buff is naive. If it wasn't global I might agree, but for now it is.

18. Sokolov

I am not saying it's "easy to trigger."

I am saying it's not the same as +6 DMG and it is not under your control of when it triggers - which relatively makes it weaker than any options that are under your control. These are relevant details in terms of why Sunder and Rank 3 DOTs were considered problematic on ranged champions and is not me "underestimating" anything.

I mean really, the difference between a minimum of +5 DMG a turn with a Rank 3 DOT at range (back then they had secondary effects too) without any additional support and a potential +6 DMG that the enemy opts into is quite large.

19. super71

Ah screw it protective stacking to +6 damage in range is fine

:rolleyes:

Expect another nerf in a month or so to fix the same thing