PvP - Why or Why Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pixyrus, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

After watching the Q/A with Senshu, I thought I would take it upon myself to get the communities thoughts about PvP. So here are a few questions that I'm sure the devs would like to be answered. @Senshu

1. Do you play PvP/ranked?
    2. If you don't, why not?
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often?
    4.What would you like the reward to be?
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day?
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable?

Here are just a few questions that I came up with, feel free to ask your own below. Let's get a good discussion going on here so the devs can get the most amount of information possible.

EDIT: I think there may be some confusion on question 6. I put it there because of the possible abusing of this reward system. High ranked player makes new account, plays against new player, then wins rune or reward, and then they trade it to their main account.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

No.
    Because PvE is more fun.
    No.
    More gold.
    If they are balanced, no.
    It shouldn't.

3. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

1. no.
    2. because is against the same meta bg against each faction.
    3. no not really.
    4. is there anything else but runz?
    5. no.
    6.no.

4. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

1. No
    2. I'm not that good in single player but i still play 2v2s
    3.Mabye
    4. I would like to see things like tokens and if possible when tourney starts tickets for winning ranks / Legs
    5. Yes
    6. No

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Only really read your title, so this response might not be on point. But if I play the game I play PvP. I'll do my dailies for gold and a scirmish here or there to test out a new deck to make sure it's got all the components I want, I didn't leave anything out, check to make sure all the upgrades are set like I want and make sure I didn't choose unleveled runes.

So, right now I'm not playing at all. PvP is no fun for a couple of reasons:

1) Balance, for the love why can't they ****** do something about this? It's not rocket science, DMRs latest post is an example.
    2) The population is horrible. Mostly I don't like clobbering people and I'd climb out of rare league to the top 10 just to play the same 9 people over and over again as my only competitive games often getting paired up against some low ranker because of population deficiencies. No thanks.

BurnPyro likes this.
  6. waylandwalker

waylandwalker The King of Potatoes

1) Very rarely
    2) I'm f2p, so I have a smaller collection than my opponents to work from. Also, turn timers are too short; I end up either running out of time reading the runes I've never seen before, or making misplays because I don't read them.
    3) If they were big enough.
    4) Skirmisher's already providing easy to get runes. I'd say either increased gold, or maybe something like you enter a raffle for each ranked win and get a chance to draw legendary runes at end of month/week/whatever
    5) Maybe, just to prevent bots/multiaccounting or things like that. It should be a reasonably high cap, though.
    6) Who cares, trading is dead in this game anyway.

7. D4rkSteel

D4rkSteel I need me some PIE!

I demand 2v2 PVE Co-op

8. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

1. Some. 0-3 games per day.
    3. Yes, I would.
    4. More Gold, Possibly Core Runes or Tokens.
    5. Don't see a reason for that.
    6. Definitely Not.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

1. Yes. Not quite as much as PvE, mostly because I only play so much every day and PvE gives better gold. But, PvP is what Pox is for me, it was all it used to be, and I consider PvE as ancillary - in many ways - to high level PvP. Making and understanding BGs in a competitive context is what I'm here for.
    2. I don't play as much because the rewards of gold aren't as good as for PvE.
    3. Probably.
    4. Some gold; I've heard tokens brought up before, that sounds like a fine idea.
    5. No. It doesn't seem like a good idea to provide a disincentive for playing the game after a point, or at least to remove an incentive.
    6. No. Non-tradeables are an old idea that should no longer exist.

10. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

1. Yes
    2. N/A
    3. Yes
    4. Anything, we just need to be rewarded for playing ranked...
    5. No
    6. No

11. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

1. Yes. When I play I mostly play PvP, unless I don't have time to finish a game reliably.
    2. N/A
    3. Probably, yeah. DA 3 is going to ruin that though :D
    4. Runes or bonus gold.
    5. Nah.
    6. No.

12. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

Very good thread, since I'm somebody that used to play a lot of pvp (years ago) and got turned off of PvP, i'm an ideal candidate to answer I feel.

1. Do you play PvP/ranked? Only very rarely now
    2. If you don't, why not? Buggy ranking system that isn't live. If we had a live ranking system that was a lot better as per suggestions, it'd be much more appealing
    3. If there were rewards of winning/playing a PvP match, would you play it more often? This would definitely help, I cannot comprehend why we are rewarding skirmish but NOT PvP, to me, PoxNora is a PvP game first and foremost and although I love the player rewards in skirmish, as they really help new players - a lot of my new player friends have told me they want to play PvP but will not because there are no player rewards for it.
    4.What would you like the reward to be? It should be identical to the skirmish rewards (even if you ommit legendaries)
    5. Should there be a cap on how much rewards you can get a day? No, I'm a firm believer that playing the game should be encouraged. You are only rewarded core set runes, which are not worth a lot anyway.
    6. If the reward would be a rune, should it be non-tradeable? No, all rewards should remain tradeable.

13. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I just wanted to take moment to provide some insight into this. Technically it is possible to provide a ranking system that updates as games are completed. However, the game client itself does not update that often. You would still only see their/your rank at the time of login; as this prevents tons of updates being sent back and forth between the client and server that would only affect player stats. Not to mention a lot of confusion when a player all of a sudden sees their rank drop quickly when 5-10 players stats above them have changed. Having it update once a day prevents the initial confusion of drastic rank changes.

OriginalG1 and Legato like this.
  14. Ozariig

Ozariig I need me some PIE!

1. Not really.
    2. The last few times I tried in recent weeks, I was matched with someone from the top 10 and lost horribly. I wouldn't mind it if I wanted to play at their level. But I'm a casual player and I would prefer my primary PvP experience to be against similar players. Training PvP is an okay alternative, except when I get matched with someone in the top 10 there too ;)
    3. I'm not sure. It certainly would help, but it doesn't address the underlying issue for me.
    4. I think that Hearthstone has a decent reward pacing, where most of your reward comes from dailies. You can get a free pack every two or three days, which is slightly faster than Pox Nora but roughly equivalent when you consider pack sizes. Pox Nora actually incentivizes NOT rewarding yourself frequently, by saving up for boxes, which boggles me slightly.
    5. I don't know. Other companies appear to do the same thing, so there is probably a good reason for it.
    6. I'm not a fan of untradeable runes from an aesthetics/collections perspective. It really clutters up the rune checklist.

15. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

1. Yes
    2. N/A
    3. I already play it constantly
    4. Cash Shards
    5. No
    6. No

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  16. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Well, that does make sense. Technically speaking, would implementing something that constantly updates be impossible or a big performance spike? I know for a fact that that it can be done using Java, though that would probably not be as efficient as other programming languages. Another option could be implementing an ELO system like the old LoL model, allowing you to see how much you go up or down after each game and then refreshing your level on launchpad, with icons being tier based (this way your numbers would not be constantly changing).

17. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

It is not impossible. The issue again comes down to the player confusion aspect. We can always update only the players that are currently in your channel when an update happens; a simplified message structure would make it less heavy for the client. However, there will still be confusion when a player sees when they exit the game that their experience went up, but their ranking dropped 50 points because 4 other players completed their game at the same time bumping them much higher. Or worse your points now match 50 other people who's position is far less than where you were.

Currently I don't think we have enough space for it, but a +/- indication next to rank showing difference from last ran rank might prevent confusion. At least the player would know if they are going to be above or below their current rank during the next ranking update.

18. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

1. More than single player. But still only about 6 times a month. (yes, month)
    2. I dislike "power turns" as they are simply a method of mass-gibbing that has nothing to do with any runes on the board.
    3. No. It needs a mechanical overhaul in terms of spells, relics and equipment. (Lack of tactics for spells, equipments do require balancing)
    4.Better experience distribution (oh yay, my level 3 Elven Mage gained 60CP.. whoop de frickin' doo!)
    5. I think that depends entirely on the rewards system. Currently? No point.
    6. I think trading should be removed from this game. The first "C" in an online CCG stands for "Crippled".

19. WraithxxV

WraithxxV Active Member

Again, makes sense, I personally don't have problems with the current ranking system (other than showing matches lost which is tough for new players). The way LoL's old system (and current, but with some variations) worked was you had an ELO level, say of 1240. If you won a game, you would gain x amount, say +20, and go to 1260, and if Exotic league was above 1250, you were now Exotic league. If you then lost, you may go down to 1238, and now you would be Rare league again (in LoL they had bronze-silver-gold-platinum-diamond, but the idea is the same). You had no idea how many people are above or below you: you only knew your current rank, and how much further you have to go to hit the next rank. It is the same basic concept, but it eliminates the effect other players have on your rank. Top players could still be recognized, depending on highest elo levels.

Anyways, sorry about derailing the thread, this was just a very interesting conversation that I couldn't pass up :D

20. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I think this does highlight a problem in that many people are shying away from what I consider the 'real game' in favour of a glorified tutorial (single player).

Skeezick and SPiEkY like this.