Remember all that fuss a while back about bakeries and gay weddings?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Jan 12, 2017.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Well this is worse: https://health.good.is/articles/rul...d&tse_id=INF_ef448940d82311e6a03c354c456e1db2

"As several outlets have pointed out, this decision expands the precedent set by the Supreme Court’s Burwell v. Hobby Lobby decision, which allows businesses to enforce religious beliefs on employees by denying health care coverage for birth control."

Thoughts on this? As a non-religious person, I think the entire thing is ludicrous, but as a Canadian, I just can't help feeling sorry for America atm. Forget Syrian refugees, if any Americans want to feel to Canada for protection, I'll welcome them with open arms.

Tweek516, Qucas and Geressen like this.
  2. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I think we're less likely to see a doctor denying service than a baker, even if it's allowed by law. It's pretty barbaric that this exemption exists, but it's unlikely to be an issue.

The health coverage thing is nasty though, and seems far more likely to actually happen.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Remember how the Constitution separates church and state?

Only in the greatest country on earth.

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

or a candlestick maker.

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Nothing to see here, move along.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you are, I will explain;

Rub a dub dub,
    Three fools in a tub,
    And who do you think they be?
    The doctor, the baker,
    The candlestick maker.
    HEALTHCARE SHOULD BE FREE!

wait let me refine it.

Rub a dub dub,
    Three fools in a pub,
    The doctor, the baker,
    The lawmaker.
    People should be free.

mmmm

Rub a dub dub,
    Three fools in a pub,
    And who do you think they are?
    The doctor, the baker,
    The stupid lawmaker.
    everyone should have healthcare.

Rub a dub dub,
    Three servile fools in a pub,
    The doctor, the baker,
    The stupid lawmaker.
    their services should be ideology free!

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

You're welcome.

8. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

I was taking that from the article link posted, which has "Doctors can now deny treatment to women who've had abortions" as it's title, and later says "By blocking this regulation through the lens of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Judge O’Connor has allowed health care professionals and insurance companies nationwide to discriminate as they see fit."

Its still possible that the article is misinterpreting something, but a quick look at the legal document finds the Christian Medical & Dental Society and the Specialty Physicians of Illinois on the list of plaintiffs.
    https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3249186/Injunction-Franciscan-Alliance-v-Burwell.pdf

Ohmin likes this.
  9. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Remember, freedom of religion means freedom to discriminate based on your religion.

You'd think that it meant freedom to practice your religion as long as you don't harm anyone else, but you'd be wrong.

Tweek516 and darklord48 like this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would just be happy with freedom from religion.

Tweek516, jeeperz2 and Geressen like this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For some reason the actual verdict hadn't been loading for me until recently, I thought it was just about upholding the insurance thing (and the article over-reacting with it's commentary), but you're right that it seems to be expanding it to HC providers as well. My mistake. Carry on.

To play devils advocate a bit:

While probably not true of a lot of people, there is an argument that it is about perspective. For example, if a Church believes that a marriage will be harmful to the individuals involved, should they be required to perform services, this is regardless of the sex (or identity) of those involved.

Likewise, if a doctor believes that a procedure or prescription would be harmful to the patient, should they be required to perform that procedure or write that prescription?

I know you think all religious stuff is nonsense poppycock and all that, but for some (and unfortunately only some) I'm sure that's their primary concern.

*shrug*

Like I said, I don't agree with the ruling myself. It's also a rather imprecise thing from both sides. Essentially it's focused on ACA being federal statute (and thus still subject, according to the Supreme Court, to the Religious Freedom act). This makes it so rules and regulations based on ACA supposedly can't apply in contrast to Religious beliefs (while State ones could)

The preamble of the verdict is all about discussing additional rules and regulations (not law) added onto ACA to expand the definition of what "discrimination by sex" is. It also primarily focuses on specific types of procedures and the homogenous application of a procedure on both females and trans females.

Essentially it's looking at poorly worded or imprecise things and then using that to smash the whole thing, from the looks of it. The verdict seems to be having some host issues, and I still haven't been able to read all of it yet.

It's kind of like a recent law in CA (think it passed, haven't checked), that makes it so that a minor that is soliciting can't be arrested/brought in by police outside of limited circumstances. While intended to protect minors, some have argued that it's too broad in its scope and essentially legalizes such solicitation within that age bracket (which could have a very negative impact, obviously). Because it's imprecise, it has broader implications than it perhaps should.

But I'd need more detail to really make that determination in the CA case, it's just stuff I've heard on that front so far.

12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

wrong thread.

Tweek516, BurnPyro and Ohmin like this.
  13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Well, this thread is still about religion in it's own way, hah.

Geressen likes this.
  14. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

And as bad as it is, no one flees anywhere because it's still way ****** better here. We can pretend it's not, but ask Sok when he's moving back.

Geressen likes this.
  15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

haha that is cute, you think people being patriotic or not having the funds or being tied down by relations means you have it best.

I like that.

BurnPyro likes this.
  16. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

If my wife's family wasn't in the US, we'd probably have moved her up to Canada instead of me coming down here :D

That said, day to day it's not much of a difference IMO (and both Canada and the US are way better than the rest of the world for the most part), plenty of stuff happened in Canada recently that made me go o_O also.

Geressen likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't feel like looking it up right now, but I am pretty sure there are about the same number of Canadian/US immigrants living in the other country currently, though I am not sure about flows.

18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you guys should move here, it's pretty good.
    or don't, it's a free country... well... this is anyway.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

actually, im moving over there for work in a week

Geressen likes this.
  20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

and here we have it! Belgian immigrants are taking OUR JOBS!

Ohmin likes this.